• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Strongarm Bracers

Celestille

First Post
I just want to confirm if what I beleive is true.

Strongarm bracers from Magic Item Compendium p.139

When wearing strongarm bracers, you can
wield weapons as if you were one size
category larger than normal. (You don’t
take any penalty when using weapons
as normal for your size.) For example,
a human wearing these bracers could
wield Large or Medium weapons without
penalty.
The effect of these bracers doesn’t
stack with the powerful build trait (such
as that possessed by the half-giant and
goliath races).

Do these bracers apply on monk's unarmed strikes?

Jhaelen

First Post
When wearing strongarm bracers, you can
wield weapons as if you were one size
category larger than normal.

Do these bracers apply on monk's unarmed strikes?
I don't see how they could have any effect on that. How do you 'wield' unarmed strikes that are one category larger than yourself?

Does not compute.

Celestille

First Post
"A monk’s unarmed strike is treated both as a manufactured
weapon and a natural weapon for the purpose of spells and effects
that enhance or improve either manufactured weapons or natural

weapons (such as the
magic fang and magic weapon spells)." PHB I

I asked my question because of that line.

Last edited:

Starbuck_II

First Post
"A monk’s unarmed strike is treated both as a manufactured

weapon and a natural weapon for the purpose of spells and effects
that enhance or improve either manufactured weapons or natural

weapons (such as the
magic fang and magic weapon spells)." PHB I

I asked my question because of that line.
You still lack a way to wield the weapon.
If you cut off one of your arms, then hold it with other arm: then you'd be wielding the unarmed strike technically and qualify for the magic items benefits.

But otherwise you can't wield it.

StreamOfTheSky

Adventurer
Everyone: Monks shouldn't be able to take Improved Natural Attack on unarmed strikes! It's broken! I know by RAW it's undeniably allowed. I know that monks can't fight their way out of a paper bag, so even with that, they're still inferior to Fighters, who aren't so great themselves. But still! Broken!

WotC: *Publishes a very inexpensive item that lets everyone who's not a monk get basically the same benefit, and to throw salt in the wound, it doesn't even require them to spend one of their precious feats*

Everyone: *Silence*

Don't know why I felt like making that obsevation, but there it is.

Celestille

First Post
Everyone: Monks shouldn't be able to take Improved Natural Attack on unarmed strikes! It's broken! I know by RAW it's undeniably allowed. I know that monks can't fight their way out of a paper bag, so even with that, they're still inferior to Fighters, who aren't so great themselves. But still! Broken!

WotC: *Publishes a very inexpensive item that lets everyone who's not a monk get basically the same benefit, and to throw salt in the wound, it doesn't even require them to spend one of their precious feats*

Everyone: *Silence*

Don't know why I felt like making that obsevation, but there it is.

I didn't made this thread to piss people off :\ I made it to clarify a question I wasn't sure. I asked this question because I know I can use Enlarge Person to increase my damage and stack it with Improved Natural Attack [Unarmed Strike]. I just wanted to know if the monk's Unarmed Strikes could do more damage with Strongarm Bracers.

StreamOfTheSky

Adventurer
Oh, no. I'm not pissed off, and certainly not at you. The topic of strongarm bracers and the fact monks can't use them just reminded me of the protracted, angry debates in the past over INA, and I was just musing at how I don't think I've seen that many "strongarm bracers are broken" threads by comparison.

Basically thread derailment. Back on topic a bit... You might want to look into the Mighty Wallop spell (and Greater version) in Races of the Dragon. If you can get a party spellcaster to buff you with that, you'll be all set. :)

Remove ads