• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Student of Malediction and Warlock powers

chitzk0i

Explorer
I'm building a character that wants to multiclass into Warlock via the Student of Malediction feat from Arcane Power. Later on, I'm going to pick up some warlock powers. Now, since Student of Malediction lacks the "you can use warlock implements" clause of Pact Initiate, that means I can't use any implements with future warlock powers, right?

That kind of sucks, doesn't it? If I take Arcane Implement Proficiency, I'll have an implement for those attacks because that feat specifies "for your arcane powers".

On further inspection, none of the multiclass feats in Arcane Power provide for implement use.

CapnZapp

Legend
The conclusion I'm drawing is that you still need Pact Initiate then?

(I guess you could take AIP instead, but only if you're already an arcane caster, and you would lose out on the pact-related benefits Pact Initiate gives you. Of course, this would enable you to use all your arcane powers with the same implement. This trade-off is probably intentional.)

Last edited:

Ryujin

Legend
There is nothing preventing you from taking BOTH of the multi-class options for Warlock, thereby obtaining the advantages of both. I've already run this by Customer Support and their take is that you clearly can't take a multiclass feat for a DIFFERENT class, but you can certainly take multiple multi-class feats for THE SAME class.

I've used this to take both of the multi-class feats available for Bard.

CapnZapp

Legend
There is nothing preventing you from taking BOTH of the multi-class options for Warlock, thereby obtaining the advantages of both. I've already run this by Customer Support and their take is that you clearly can't take a multiclass feat for a DIFFERENT class, but you can certainly take multiple multi-class feats for THE SAME class.
Well, I guess you asked CS before the release of Arcane Power?

Feats like "Walker In Gloom" have "Any multiclass warlock feat" as prerequisite, so it's quite obvious that you're supposed to be able to take more than one multiclass feat for the same class (Walker In Gloom is itself a Warlock multiclass feat).

Just sayin'... :)

Ryujin

Legend
Well, I guess you asked CS before the release of Arcane Power?

Feats like "Walker In Gloom" have "Any multiclass warlock feat" as prerequisite, so it's quite obvious that you're supposed to be able to take more than one multiclass feat for the same class (Walker In Gloom is itself a Warlock multiclass feat).

Just sayin'... :)

You'll also note that feats like "Walker in Gloom" also have the prerequisite of Paragon Multi-classing. Just saying ;)

There are now multiple feats available that will actually GIVE you a multi-class and you are not precluded from taking more than one of them, as long as they are for the same class. In this way you can get much of the flavour of a second class, without having to dump all of your feats on it. A Swordmage can both get Swordmage Warding once a day, as well as being able to summon his sword. A Bard can both heal and do Bardic rituals.

Remove ads