• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Stuff That is Other Stuff...

Hand of Evil

Hero
Epic
Once had gold coins of the "the old ones" that were really spell elements. Players had to figure out the spell, by placing them in order, the number of coins needed was the level of the spell. Example: 3rd Level spell used three coins, player would flip/arrange the coins to learn the spell. Basicly runes.

Also used braided hair for druid spells - the way and what they used in fixing their hair equaled spells. So, the more braids, the more powerful the druid and IF their braids were cut off, they lost the spell!

FireLance

Legend
I recall that the Eberron campaign setting had the idea of using crystal shards (dragonshards) as spell books.

Inspired by Cardcaptor Sakura (and possibly, subconsciously, by Pokemon), I once toyed with an idea for a solo campaign for a sorcerer in which the PC learns spells by defeating the spirits of those spells in order to bind them to him.

I never actually followed through on that idea, but I did write one Ceramic DM story based on it.

In one campaing I had I used "dragon dust".

If you killed a dragon, every part of it was magical. (i.e. I rolled for part of its horde on the potion treasure table). you could grind up its bones, use it's breath weapon gizzard, it's eyes, its scales, etc.

What it really amounted to was using a whole buch of potions, but I never told the players that they were reskinned potions.

Stoat

Adventurer
Instead of potions, Goblins carry little rat-skull fetishes. Picture a tiny skull on a leather thong decorated with beads and feathers. Crushing the skull is equivalent to drinking a potion.

Jack7

First Post
In Ghantik, one of the worlds of my campaign, Elves and others have achieved a sophisticated form of what might be called bio-magic (rather than biotechnology). So they can implant biological characteristics and codings into things. Including some objects.

So many inanimate objects can do some things, or allow the user to do something(s), that mimic biological capabilities. These objects are specifically disguised to be other things, but have or give magical biological capabilities. Rather than gaining a + form an object, it might give you the same sense of smell as the creature on that world with the most sensitive sense of smell. Meaning you can smell very complex things, understand what they imply, or even potentially smell scents from hundreds of miles away.

Also used braided hair for druid spells - the way and what they used in fixing their hair equaled spells. So, the more braids, the more powerful the druid and IF their braids were cut off, they lost the spell!
In that same world there is a Wizard NPC who uses his hair as both a spell book and psychic amplifier. His hair is long and knotted into special braids. He looks like he has a very strange hairdoo. Really he can just "feel through his hair" like one would feel braille and read the magic he possesses. So it's like the tattoo trick mentioned above. Only no one else recognizes what it is because it's unique to him. It also amplifies, because of the way it is arranged, his psychic capabilities, and gives him a built in Wizard Eye whenever he wishes.

I like your idea of "length amplification" (I'll have to incorporate that idea) and of cutting hair means loss of capability (Samson).

Unusually in situations like this in my world though such arrangements are totally unique. Meaning others don't know about them or practice the same technique.

Some monsters also have things body components like horns or claws or teeth or eyes or specific scales or feathers that do unique things. They don't look different from other body components but they act differently or give different capabilities than expected. When the monsters die though the capabilities are lost.

If you killed a dragon, every part of it was magical. (I.e. I rolled for part of its horde on the potion treasure table). you could grind up its bones, use it's breath weapon gizzard, it's eyes, its scales, etc.

What it really amounted to was using a whole buch of potions, but I never told the players that they were reskinned potions.

Have done this too and often, with many monsters. Since monsters are almost always unique and one of a kind. Never done the traits as reskinned potions, but have done the similar, old school, monster biology = magic.

Every serpent is a text. Certain people (and non-people) know how to read their scales. As they grow, the animals revise and expand themselves until they die.

Really like that idea. shed snakeskin could become the basis of a magic book and you could even write over the skin to make it appear as another text, but the skin itself would be a type of palimpsest. Even a wizard couldn't read it or recognize the magic unless he knew the snake-language. If he did though then the book might seem to contain any kind of information, or even minor spells, whereas underneath the scales would describe a very powerful or maybe even a unique and previously generally unknown spell.

In Ghantik also some architectural features are not as they appear. In one city walls can be repositioned and buildings "walked" to redesign the interior relationship of buildings and monuments. And buildings are more than just buildings, some are also codes. And certain arrangements can either amplify the magical capabilities of the inhabitants of the city, and/or, suppress the magical capabilities of any besieger. Sort of a Baba Yaga's hut written on the city-scale.

Psychotic Jim

First Post
It's not nearly as exotic as some of the other examples in this thread, but a PC in one of the campaigns I run is something of a magical chef. Her "Craft Confectionary Delight" is basically a Brew Potion in the form of food. Chocolates of healing are her favorite.

In a more literal form of "reskinning", I thought it might be fun to play a tattoo artist wizard with Spell Mastery. These mastered spells would simply be inked onto his skin as a sort of crib sheet- he would be his own spellbook!

Barastrondo

First Post
Hm.

Currently we've got "nosegays" for healing potions in a 4e game; the idea being that they're little vials of smelling salts, alchemically rather than magically produced. The healing surge mechanic makes it much easier to come up with healing items that aren't necessarily magical.

Similarly, +1 weapons tend to be masterwork, and some are simply cunningly designed, such as the assassin's poisoned longsword. Reservoir of poison in the hilt; not sorcerous venom.

Spellbook as collection of runestones for a Nordic necromancer. Spread them out as if casting them, study appropriately. Would also work with an I Ching homage, I bet.

Remove ads