• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

[stupid ?] Wiz/Sor & defensive fighting

BenjaminB

First Post
OK, I'm an idiot for being unable to find the rule on this, but here is the question:

Can a Wizard or Sorcerer (or other spellcaster for that matter) fight defensively (for the AC bonus) and still throw spells? If so, are there any special rules to cover this, and where would I find them.

Thanks,

-B

Pax

Banned
Banned
You may only Fight Defensively if you take the attack action; casting a spell is not an Attack action, even if it involves hurtign an enemy.

Maitre Du Donjon

First Post
Likewise, the Total Defense action is a standard action, ergo, no spellcasting there either.

Now don't ask me how that works when you're hasted.

Maitre D

Maitre Du Donjon

First Post
Darklone said:
The only time when this might come up:

Cast a touch spell. Move to the enemy. Attack defensively.

ungh. Not sure that would work, sincethe standard action you took this round was casting a spell. Touching the enemy was just part of the spellcasting.

Now, if you were to cast a touch attack spell on round 1, THEN on round two, move in and touch, i wouldn't see any problem with it.

Maitre D

BenjaminB

First Post
Cool, thanks folks, thats what I needed to know.

But Quickened Spell would allow for this because casting the Q-spell is a free action, yes?

-B

Darklone

The attack action is part of the spellcasting... I see no problem with casting, moving and touching. Similar to me like bashing with the first three attacks, making a 5ft step and bashing some more...

Even if you mind... You could move to the enemy, cast defensively (conc check and no AoO), then make your touch attack defensively. I'd say, if you don't cast defensively but eat the AoO, then your AC would still be normal.

Hypersmurf

Moderatarrrrh...
The attack action is part of the spellcasting...

The touch attack is part of the Cast A Spell action. It's not the Attack Action, even though you're making an attack.

It's like how you can't declare you're Fighting Defensively when you make an AoO - it's an attack, but it's not the Attack Action.

As others have said, if you cast the spell and hold the charge, then next round you use the Attack Action to deliver it... so you can fight defensively then.

-Hyp.

Darklone

Right Hyp, but the rules says under fighting defensively (correct me if I am wrong) that you need to make an attack (here touch attack) not an attack action... or did the SRD fool me here?

Hypersmurf

Moderatarrrrh...
I'm not sure how the SRD could have fooled you...

From the SRD:

A character can choose to fight defensively when taking the attack action. If a character does so, the character takes a -4 penalty on all attacks in a round to gain a +2 dodge bonus to AC for the same round.

A character can choose to fight defensively when taking the full attack action. If a character does so, the character takes a -4 penalty on all attacks in a round to gain a +2 dodge bonus to AC for the same round.

Those are the only references I'm aware of...

-Hyp.

Remove ads