• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Style and Location defenses

Phoenix8008

First Post
So, I still have this list of printed out styles and locations and their defenses. I was wanting to check if these are all still accurate considering some of the other changes that have taken place that I missed.

Styles, Locations, and their Defenses

1. Snake, Lizard (reptile)
2. Crane, Raven (bird)
3. Fox, Wolf (canine)
4. Tiger, Panther (feline)
5. Weasel, Rat (rodent)
6. Spider, Scorpion (venom)
7. Crab, Turtle (shell)
8. Blizzard, Tsunami (elements)
9. Cherry Blossom, Lotus Blossom (flower)
10. Willow, Oak (tree)
11. Mantis, Grasshopper (insect)
12. Dagger, Sword (blade)
13. Trident, Spear (pole)
14. Hammer, Mace (iron)
15. Staff, Nunchaku (club)
16. Kama, Scythe (sickle)
17. Fist, Foot (body)
18. Claw, Fang (bone)
19. Phoenix, Dragon (flame)
20. Unicorn, Ki-Rin (horn)
21. Chimera, Manticore (abomination*)
22. Whip, Chain (lash)
23. Lightning, Thunder (storm)
24. West Wind, East Wind (wind)
25. Southern Cross, Northstar (star)

26. Rapids, Waterfall (river)
27. Sea, Ocean (tides)
28. Swamp, Marsh (mire)
29. Castle, Tower (fortification)
30. Canyon, Ravine (crevice)
31. Cemetary, Tombs (grave)
32. Grotto, Cavern (cave)
33. Badlands, Wastelands (barrens)
34. Beach, Desert (sands)
35. Atoll, Island (isle)
36. City, Village (settlement)
37. Ruins, Pillar (stone)
38. Heavens, Clouds (sky)
39. Foothills, Peaks (mountain)
40. Brush, Forest (wood)
41. Fountain, Well (spring)
42. Orchard, Paradise (garden)
43. Volcano, Hells (fires)
44. Prairie, Plain (grass)
45. Ricefield, Vineyard (farm)
46. Labyrinth, Dungeon (maze)
47. Temple, Shrine (holy ground)
48. Tundra, Glacier (ice)
49. Clearing, Glade (field)
50. Cliff, Bluff (ledge)

*Changed from legendary beast

Last edited:

Phoenix8008

First Post
Mithreander, it means when judging a match, there are certain things that will give some extra weight to one move over another. For example, in a fight between the following two moves...

1. The snake decimates the wastelands; negates the cut of the flower!

2. The lotus blossom leaps close to the temple; wards off the strike of the reptile!

Thr first move attacks with snake style (first on the list back in the original post in this thread), while the second move is defending against reptiles which includes both snake and lizard styles as seen in the first entry in the original post. So a judge could give some extra weight to the second move since it defended perfectly against the attack, even though the first attack is much more aggressive and powerful sounding. It's pretty rare to even get a match up like that, so some judges give it lots of weight due to it's rarity of happening.

Mithreander

Explorer
Thanks... that helps a little, but mainly, it's how the judge thinks the attacks sounds? I read that the naritive of the attacks count for nothing, so it's left up to the judge unless:
1) it's a signature move of the character executing it
2) if the defence happens to match up to the attack of the opponents move?

Any other factors that a judge is supposed to take into concideration?

Phoenix8008

First Post
Mithreander said:
Thanks... that helps a little, but mainly, it's how the judge thinks the attacks sounds? I read that the naritive of the attacks count for nothing, so it's left up to the judge unless:
1) it's a signature move of the character executing it
2) if the defence happens to match up to the attack of the opponents move?

Any other factors that a judge is supposed to take into concideration?
Actually, the first one on your list there doesn't apply to judging the round. A fighter having a signature style only affects the damage done by or to him after the round is judged. Mostly, it IS determined by which move the judge thinks is better.

Better is a pretty open-ended statement though. Some judges go for sheer power and destruction of moves. Others like fancy sounding moves. Still weirder is that some players have multiple judge persona's that each favor different types of moves! See for example Kalanyr judging 3 or 4 of the fights between myself and Rathan using a different persona in each and each with it's own idea of what moves are better!!

Mithreander

Explorer
So, overall, it's really how much the judge likes you or your character, to ultimately who wins (unless they deside to follow some plot, perhaps, or some such...)?

Now, where do levels come in? If a novice decided to face an 8th ranked Master (if such a rank existed), would that not be taken into consideration by some rules beyond just what the judge 'feels' is right?

Just trying to get a grip on the fact that I really have NO control over the victory by my character, and have to leave it to the wims of another individual.

Remove ads