• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Style Points

Gryph

First Post
It's been kind of a running joke at my table that when a player or NPC pulls off a great stunt I mark it with a "style point". I've never associated any other reward with the shout out.

Recently I've been thinking of ways to add some mechanical benefit to a style point.

• Can be used for anything an Action Point can be used for but don't count against the action point per encounter limit.
  • Can be used like a Fate Point to turn a successful attack against you into a miss or a failed skill check into a success.
And a limitation.
  • They don't carry over to the next session
  • If you have any style points left at the end of the session they are spent for an xp award. I'm thinking a minor quest award.
I'm hoping this will encourage the players to stretch their imaginations a bit more to reach for the style points without adding a bunch of extra bookkeeping to the game.

Arlough

Explorer
In my sessions we have been using Bonus Action Points.
It sounds like pretty much the same thing.
  • Bonus action points can only be obtained via DM reward (usually for humor, style, or particularly good roleplay)
  • Bonus Action Points do not count toward your Action Point per Encounter limit
  • You may spend a Bonus Action Point to gain an additional standard action on a turn where you have already spent an Action Point
  • Spending a Bonus Action Point nets you all the benefits you would obtain from spending an action point, but regular stacking rules apply.
  • You may not spend multiple Bonus Action Points on a single turn.
  • If you take an extended rest, any Bonus Action Points you have in excess of 2 are lost.
So far, it has worked quite well, and lead to some very memorable and dramatic scenes.
Initially I was worried that it would end up being broken, but I decided to go with it anyway. So far it has not unbalanced the game in any noticeable way.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads