• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D General Styles of D&D Play

Oofta

Legend
We could add optional rules for many, many things. There are several optional rules in the DMG now, I use some and ignore others. But we can't have every optional rule that some people might want.

It's as simple as that. Optional rules I won't use aren't the issue. Expecting optional rules for this particular option when a different set of desired optional rules will pop up in a different thread just isn't realistic.

Some options will always remain the domain of 3PP for those that want them. If your group is rejecting them, it's likely because they don't see a need and like the way the game works now.

Minigiant

Legend
Supporter
Questions to people who want more involved social mechanics. What do you actually mean by this? Have you used the rules from DMG? Why are these not sufficient? What are the aspects you wish more rules support on? How do you envision your ideal social mechanics working, and how do they integrate with roleplay?

I always DM the first 2 campaigns straight. Then I change.

• Minigiant's Expanded Languages, Dialects and Scripts
  • Minigiant's Language Proficiency
  • 4e skill challenges for deep negotiation
  • 3e attitudes
  • 2e Etiquette skill
  • 3e Gather Info skill
  • 4e Streetwise skill
  • 3e Appraisal skill
  • Academics skill

Minigiant

Legend
Supporter
Quite frankly, IMO those people would be much happier gamers if they got over that. That philosophy brings nothing but self-imposed limitations.
The core problem is that 3PP is mostly invisible because they lack the budget to advertise. So only official rules are consistently used and barely seen if that.

Quickleaf

Legend
Did you see the D&D movie?
dnd5.gif

Minigiant

Legend
Supporter
You mean the one they were hoping would make as much money for them as the Transformer movies that also had the add-on benefit of popularizing and already successful brand? I doubt advertisement was a primary goal.
Who said primary?

One of the goals was advertising. Direct profit was likely the primary.

Remove ads