• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Sub-Epic Offerings

Imo is to weak. My dragon paragon class start at 1d6 at level 1 + 1d6 every 2 levels thereafter with 1 minute cooldown and no use per day limit, go to d8 at level 8 with 1d6+2 rounds, and d10 at level 16 with 1d4 rounds. At 20th it become 1d12 x level with 1d4 rounds cooldown.
I mean that's stronger than an actual Dragon's breath weapon in terms of hid dice to damage dice and size of damage dice ratio and cooldown. That's kind of ridiculous honestly. That kind of damage usable once per minute, sure, that's strong but at least it has some kind of flaw, but 20d12 supernatural ability aoe damage usable evert 1d4 rounds? How is that fair to other players? Let's say a mage, Who can blast like a mfer, that's their point, but can't sustain it and can easily have their spells disrupted and their spells have low dcs generally. So how is 20d12,consistent spammable 120 aoe damage, how is that fair to even the magic users much less melee dps types? I'm just saying, seems kinda overpowered.

Last edited:

Obly99

Hero
I mean that's stronger than an actual Dragon's breath weapon in terms of hid dice to damage dice and size of damage dice ratio and cooldown. That's kind of ridiculous honestly. That kind of damage usable once per minute, sure, that's strong but at least it has some kind of flaw, but 20d12 supernatural ability aoe damage usable evert 1d4 rounds? How is that fair to other players? Let's say a mage, Who can blast like a mfer, that's their point, but can't sustain it and can easily have their spells disrupted and their spells have low dcs generally. So how is 20d12,consistent spammable 120 aoe damage, how is that fair to even the magic users much less melee dps types? I'm just saying, seems kinda overpowered.
It is. I specified that my version is much stronger and designed for an EXTREMELY optimized party. It is calibrated on my party in which I am used to seeing without too many problems already at level 14-15 that damage (at level 13 the fighter did about 500 damage with a full attack and the multiclass wizard/sorcerer shot 300 damage of a fireball with Reflex 36 at level 12) so for me it's not too much of a problem, although I understand that for many others it's broken.

It is. I specified that my version is much stronger and designed for an EXTREMELY optimized party. It is calibrated on my party in which I am used to seeing without too many problems already at level 14-15 that damage (at level 13 the fighter did about 500 damage with a full attack and the multiclass wizard/sorcerer shot 300 damage of a fireball with Reflex 36 at level 12) so for me it's not too much of a problem, although I understand that for many others it's broken.
How did the level 12 sorc hit for 300 damage with a fireball? I mean 10d6 you're talking about them dealing 10x the normal damage. That seems... off. Like I had a specialized sorc once who would enter combat with a quickened maximized fireball followed by a maximized empowered fireball, and she would, assuming both fireballs hit would deal 60 and 90 damage and she was an elemental bloodline which gave her an additional 1 damage per dice of fire damage. She was only able to dish out 170 damage per round assuming everything hit and the enemies failed thier saves.

Obly99

Hero
How did the level 12 sorc hit for 300 damage with a fireball? I mean 10d6 you're talking about them dealing 10x the normal damage. That seems... off. Like I had a specialized sorc once who would enter combat with a quickened maximized fireball followed by a maximized empowered fireball, and she would, assuming both fireballs hit would deal 60 and 90 damage and she was an elemental bloodline which gave her an additional 1 damage per dice of fire damage. She was only able to dish out 170 damage per round assuming everything hit and the enemies failed thier saves.
I don't remember the full build as it was years ago. I remember it was maximized empowered (no level increase thanks to the maximized rod and its specialization that reduced the cost of empowered down to 0), thanks to the bloodline it added extra damage for each dice of damage, used d8s instead of d6s and other stuff. However the final damage was correct (280 instead of 300 to be precise) because I and the DM helped him making the build, with a little help of 3pp stuff. It was sorcerer 1/wizard all the rest. And now you know why a lot of my classes are highly optimized. This is the party on which I make the yardstick.

Last edited:

Obly99

Hero
The original version can be found here (Undying) while the modifier version and the archetype are my creations. This class is better suited to an NPC than a player as its focus is on dying and reviving, activating abilities doing this and little else. Unless the campaign has a particular focus or theme the player would get bored of playing it very quickly as it doesn't do much else (although dipping a level to get one free resurrection a day might be worth it). I'm posting it because I'm planning an NPC of my setting that has the archetype and the sheet wouldn't be understood without having the class.

Undying

The undying utilize a mysterious school of techniques collectively known as the “phoenix arts”, named after the resurrecting fire-bird. The practice of such arts is a jealously guarded secret that helps them blur the line between life and death. In the hands of a master of the phoenix arts, death is a malleable thing.

The undying are warriors who achieve an understanding of its intricacies, and find themselves neither truly alive nor dead – instead caught in a constant battle to remain in one state or the other. The techniques that they learn require years to perfect. Once mastered, they allow legions of undying to throw themselves in devastating human wave attacks, fight pitched battles, and take on assignments deemed too dangerous for anyone else.

Though there are various military organizations that employ undying soldiers they all follow similar training programs. The funding of such schools, that must often train a large number of soldiers at a time, come from local political and religious organizations. For this reason, undying are often heavily affiliated with such institutions. Undying units are large and they accept people from all walks of life. Sometimes slaves or convicts are allowed to join such units as a way to work towards freedom. The allure of potential immortality is too good for many people to pass up, though the harsh training and lifestyle weeds out all but the best. Many undying organizations have identifying marks (brands, masks, tattoos, etc.) that mark the individual as belonging to said organization. Furthermore, some societies often impart social, legal, or political restrictions on members of these units (some example: undying may not marry, may not hold office, may not own property, etc).

Hit Dice: D8.

Role: In spite of their tragically frail forms, drained by the powers they wield, the undying make excellent front line fighters. Counterintuitively, their greatest strength comes when they die. Able to self-resurrect, an undying can trigger enemy traps, temporarily distract the most dangerous foe for a while, or even fight a war of attrition that they know they will win.

Adventures: Many circumstances lead undying to become adventurers. Undying, who have died a certain number of times in battle, are often allowed to leave the military if they wish (the exact number varies but many times it is in the hundreds). Many stay with undying legions, finding it hard to adjust to civilian life after seeing so much combat. Occasionally a unit will actually be decimated or their civilization/organization destroyed – leaving them the chance to see the world.

Alignment: Any Lawful. Undying training removes all fear and doubt but also much of a trainee’s individuality. They are conditioned to respond to orders and operate as a unit. While most are neutral on the good and evil axis, there are always variances in the kind of person the units attract.

Inspiration: Undying draw from a number of disparate sources. They are monastic, unquestioning death commandos who have low standing. Part of their inspiration came from the concept of kamikaze squads, sohei, death commandos, gladiators, Persian Immortals, and even fictional sources such as the Unsullied from Game of Thrones and Fedaykin death commandos from Dune. On the other hand, resurrection is a common theme throughout many religions. Outside the Abrahamic traditions, religions like Chan Buddhism, Hinduism, and even Haitian Vodou have resurrection stories. It is quintessential to our nature as frail living beings to want to cheat death, and the undying exemplify this.

Starting Wealth: 3d6 × 10 gp (average 105 gp.). In addition, each character begins play with an outfit worth 10 gp or less.

Class Skills

The undying’s class skills are Acrobatics (Dex), Climb (Str), Craft (Int), Handle Animal (Cha), Heal (Wis), Intimidate (Cha), Knowledge (local) (Int), Knowledge (engineering) (Int), Perception (Wis), Profession (Wis), Ride (Dex), Survival (Wis), Stealth (Dex), and Swim (Str).

Skill Ranks per Level: 4 + Int modifier.

Level
Base Attack Bonus
Fort Save
Ref Save
Will Save
Special
1st​
+1​
+2​
+0​
+2​
Conscription, self-resurrection (1/day), undeath​
2nd​
+2​
+3​
+0​
+3​
Toughness​
3rd​
+3​
+3​
+1​
+3​
Self-resurrection (2/day)​
4th​
+4​
+4​
+1​
+4​
Phoenix arts​
5th​
+5​
+4​
+1​
+4​
Fast healing (3), self-resurrection (3/day)​
6th​
+6/+1​
+5​
+2​
+5​
Bonus feat, Unyielding​
7th​
+7/+2​
+5​
+2​
+5​
Self-resurrection (4/day)​
8th​
+8/+3​
+6​
+2​
+6​
Phoenix arts​
9th​
+9/+4​
+6​
+3​
+6​
Self-resurrection (5/day)​
10th​
+10/+5​
+7​
+3​
+7​
Bonus feat, fast healing (5), surging rebirth, unfeeling​
11th​
+11/+6/+1​
+7​
+3​
+7​
Self-resurrection (6/day)​
12th​
+12/+7/+2​
+8​
+4​
+8​
Phoenix arts​
13th​
+13/+8/+3​
+8​
+4​
+8​
Self-resurrection (7/day)​
14th​
+14/+9/+4​
+9​
+4​
+9​
Bonus feat, unthinking​
15th​
+15/+10/+5​
+9​
+5​
+9​
Fast healing (7), surging rebirth, self-resurrection (8/day)​
16th​
+16/+11/+6/+1​
+10​
+5​
+10​
Phoenix arts​
17th​
+17/+12/+7/+2​
+10​
+5​
+10​
Self-resurrection (9/day)​
18th​
+18/+13/+8/+3​
+11​
+6​
+11​
Bonus feat​
19th​
+19/+14/+9/+4​
+11​
+6​
+11​
Self-resurrection (10/day)​
20th​
+20/+15/+10/+5​
+12​
+6​
+12​
Fast healing (10), surging rebirth, phoenix arts, unending​

Class Features
The following are the class features of the undying.

Weapon and Armor Proficiencies
The undying is proficient with all simple and martial weapons and with all armor (heavy, light, and medium) and shields (including tower shields).

(Sidebar) Playing an Undying
An undying is very counterintuitive to play- you want to die. When playing an undying there are two main schools of thought. The first is to rely on your phoenix arts, abilities that trigger when you resurrect, and the second is to make yourself into an undying defender. In the first case you will likely want to drop your AC a bit after you get to about 5th level (and thus have a few resurrections per day). This will allow you to trigger your phoenix arts more often because you will die more often. In the second instance, you will want to armor yourself as much as possible and take feats like Dodge to augment your AC and make up for your d8 HD.

Conscription (Ex)
An undying feels no pain, experiences no fear, and questions no orders. They gain a bonus against fear effects, pain effects, effects that results in ability score damage or drain, energy drain, and effects that result in exhaustion or fatigue. This bonus is equal to ½ their undying level (minimum +1). However, an undying has a penalty against all (non fear) mind-affecting effects as well as Sense Motive, and Bluff checks equal to ½ their undying level (minimum -1).

Self-Resurrection (Su)
At 1st level, the first time per day an undying is killed he is resurrected (as per true resurrection) at the start of their next turn. During the turn when he is resurrected, he may take actions as per normal (though he is prone in most instances). At 3rd level and every odd level thereafter, he may do this one additional time per day. His uses of this ability reset every 24 hours. In order to regain uses of this ability he must have rested at least 8 hours. An undying cannot choose to not self-resurrect.

Sidebar: How to Kill the Undying
Undying are difficult, but not impossible, to kill. The trick is that they need to be put in a situation where coming back to life still results in death. Burning one alive (or dead), bathing the corpse in acid, or just having a few guys with spears is generally sufficient to take out a lone undying. The difficulty comes when undying attack en masse. It is easy to keep track of one but miss a few and things get messy.

Undeath (Ex)
At 1st level, an undying who is reduced to 0 hp is killed rather than rendered unconscious. This is due to the constant tug towards the grave that results from tampering the energies of life and death.

Toughness (Ex)
At 2nd level, an undying gains Toughness as a bonus feat.

Phoenix Arts (Ex/Sp)
Like a phoenix rising from the ashes, an undying gains new and unique benefits as his mastery over his own mortality expands. At 4th level and every 4 levels thereafter, an undying gains a talent from the following list. Any spell-like ability uses the character’s undying level as their caster level. Talents marked with * are referred to as burst talents, and an undying can only utilize one of them per time he is resurrected. He may select which he wants to use at the time of his resurrection. An undying may also elect to benefit from no phoenix talent. Statistic bonuses provided by these abilities end upon an undying’s death.
  • Fiery Rebirth*: You produce a ring of fire around you as you are restored back to life. This deals 1d6 fire damage per level of undying and has a radius of 10 feet. Creatures in the area can attempt a Reflex save (DC 10 + ½ undying level + undying Dexterity modifier) for ½ damage.
  • On Your Feet: When you resurrect, you are standing rather than being prone. This does not provoke attacks of opportunity. In addition, any attacks made on during your first round of combat you have a +2 competence bonus for attack rolls. An undying must be at least 8th level to select this talent.
  • Light of Divine*: Your resurrection is accompanied by a flash of divine light. All creatures within 30 feet must make a Reflex save (DC 10 + ½ undying level + undying Dexterity modifier) or be dazzled for 1d4 rounds + 1 round per 4 undying level (minimum 1d4 + 1).
  • Broken Earth*: Your return to life cracks the earth around you, creating a 10-foot area of difficult terrain around you. This only functions if the surface you are on has 10 or less hardness.
  • Delayed Return: An undying can delay his return the world of the living until he is ready. After he dies he may delay his resurrection for up to 1 round per undying level. The undying determines how long he will stay dead for at the time of his demise.
  • Empowering Resurrection: After resurrecting the undying gains a +2 bonus to their Strength and Dexterity score and increases their movement speed by 10 feet for 1d4 rounds + 1 per 4 levels of undying. Should an undying die this effect prematurely ends.
  • Delay Taint (Sp)*: Upon resurrecting, all allies within 30 feet of the undying gain one of the following benefit: delay disease, delay poison, delay pain. This is chosen by the undying and may be selected on a per character basis.
  • Vitality Burst*: All allies within 30 feet of the undying are restored a number of hit points equal to twice undying level. An undying must have selected delay taint before selecting this talent.
  • Sympathetic Resurrection*: One creature within 30 feet of the undying is restored as per the undying self-resurrection class feature when the undying resurrects. A creature affected by this talent cannot be affected by it again for 1 week after being resurrected by it. The creature is selected by the undying at the time of his resurrection. An undying must have selected vitality burst before selecting this talent.
  • Hardy Spirit: You gain one additional use of your self-resurrection class feature per day. This may be selected up to 3 times. An undying must be at least 12th level to select this talent.
  • Necrotic Punishment: When you resurrect, you may deal 1d6 points per 2 levels of undying of positive energy damage to all undead within 30 feet of the site of your death. Creatures in the area can attempt a Reflex save (DC 10 + ½ undying level + undying Dexterity modifier) for ½ damage.
  • Death Pact (Sp): By swearing a mystical oath and sealing the pact with a skill gained from your study of the phoenix arts, you bind your soul to another willing creature’s. The ritual takes 10 minutes and involves an exchange of blood and the undying’s oath of loyalty to the other creature (henceforth referred to as their charge). So long as the undying is within 30 feet of his charge they are treated as if you had cast shield other on them. In addition, should the undying’s charge be killed the undying is also reduced to 0 HP (the undying may resurrect however). Death does not break a death pact, but an undying or his charge may dissolve a death pact by taking a full round action. Should a death pact be broken by either party within 24 hours of it being made, the undying takes 1 negative level for 6 hours. If the death pact is broken after the initial 24 hours there is no penalty. You can have a number of death pact active at the same time equal to 1/3 your undying level.

Spells
Beginning at 4th level, an undying gains the ability to cast a small number of divine spells which are drawn from the undying spell list (see the end of the class). An undying must choose and prepare his spells in advance.

To prepare or cast a spell, an undying must have a Wisdom score equal to at least 10 + the spell level. The Difficulty Class for a saving throw against an undying’s spell is 10 + the spell level + the undying’s Wisdom modifier.

Like other spellcasters, an undying can cast only a certain number of spells of each spell level per day. His base daily spell allotment is given on Table: Undying spell per day. In addition, he receives bonus spells per day if he has a high Wisdom score (see Table: Ability Modifiers and Bonus Spells). When Table: Undying spell per day indicates that the undying gets 0 spells per day of a given spell level, he gains only the bonus spells he would be entitled to based on his Wisdom score for that spell level.

An undying must spend 1 hour each day in quiet meditation to regain his daily allotment of spells. An undying may prepare and cast any spell on the undying spell list, provided that he can cast spells of that level, but he must choose which spells to prepare during his daily meditation.

Through 3rd level, an undying has no caster level. At 4th level and higher, his caster level is equal to his undying level.
Table: Undying Spell per Day
Level
1st
2nd
3rd
4th
1st
–​
–​
–​
–​
2nd
–​
–​
–​
–​
3rd
–​
–​
–​
–​
4th
0​
–​
–​
–​
5th
1​
–​
–​
–​
6th
1​
–​
–​
–​
7th
1​
0​
–​
–​
8th
1​
1​
–​
–​
9th
2​
1​
–​
–​
10th
2​
1​
0​
–​
11th
2​
1​
1​
–​
12th
2​
2​
1​
–​
13th
3​
2​
1​
0​
14th
3​
2​
1​
1​
15th
3​
2​
2​
1​
16th
3​
3​
2​
1​
17th
4​
3​
2​
1​
18th
4​
3​
2​
2​
19th
4​
3​
3​
2​
20th
4​
4​
3​
3​

Fast Healing (Ex)
At 5th level, an undying is granted fast healing 3 for 1d4 rounds after they resurrect. At 10th level this improves to fast healing 5. At 15th level this is fast healing 7 and at 20th level this is fast healing 10.

Bonus Feat (Ex)
At 6th level and every 4 levels thereafter, an undying gains a teamwork feat or combat feat. An undying has an effective fighter level for the purpose of qualifying for feats equal to his undying level.

Unyielding (Ex)
The brainwashing an undying undergoes is both a blessing and a curse. At 6th level an undying is immune to fear effects.

Surging Rebirth (Ex)
At 10th level, an undying can select 2 burst talents (those talents marked with *) to benefit from when he resurrects. At 15th level he may select 3, and at 20th he may select up to 4.

Unfeeling (Ex)
At 10th level, an undying has moved beyond pain and distress. He can shut out pain as easily as he breathes. The undying is immune to pain effects; physical ability score damage; and exhaustion/fatigue.

Unthinking (Ex)
At 14th level, an undying becomes a machine of war. He becomes immune to mind-affecting effects and morale bonuses and penalties.

Unending (Ex)
At 20th level, an undying can self-resurrect a number of times per day equal to his undying level. This replaces the number of times per day specified in the self-resurrection class feature.

Undying Spells

1st – bed of iron, compel hostility, cure moderate wounds, endure elements, keep watch, knight’s calling, lesser restoration, magic weapon, placebo effect, shield of fortification, remove sickness, spiritual weapon, tireless pursuit, tracking mark

2nd – communal endure elements, cure critical wounds, delay disease, delay poison, holy shield, instant armor, ironskin, litany of defense, neutralize poison, paladin’s sacrifice, reincarnate, remove paralysis, shield other, soothing word, vestment of the champion

3rd – accept affliction, communal delay poison, deadly juggernaut, mass cure light wounds, remove blindness/deafness, remove curse, remove disease, vigilant rest

4th – banishing blade, break enchantment, breath of life, cyclic reincarnation, death ward, dimensional blade, greater neutralize poison, heal, king’s castle, mass cure moderate wounds, raise dead, regenerate, resounding blow, restoration, temporary resurrection

Autumn Army Soldiers (Undying Archetype)

Modifies weapon and armor proficiencies, phoenix art of 4th level, bonus feats; Replaces phoenix art of 12th level, surging rebirth, toughness, increase of fast healing at 10th level

Advances in technology have made archaic armors obsolete by the twentieth century, and modern soldiers concentrate training on firearms and swift feet.

The autumn army soldier is proficient with all simple and martial weapons, and with all firearms. He is proficient with light armor, but with no shield.

Gunsmith
At 1st level, the autumn army soldier gains any firearms worth 2000 gp or less. His starting weapon is battered, and only he knows how to use it properly. All other creatures treat his gun as if it had the broken condition. If the weapon already has the broken condition, it does not work at all for anyone else trying to use it. This starting weapon can only be sold for scrap (it’s worth 4d10 gp when sold). The autumn army soldier also gains Gunsmithing as a bonus feat.

Modern Warfare (Ex)
At 1st level, the autumn army soldier gains the Grit ability of the gunslinger but only for activate the following deeds. At 1st level, he gains the Quick Clear deed and at 11th level the Expert Loading and Lightning Reload deeds of the gunslinger. If the autumn army soldier take level in gunslinger, the two pool do not combine and the grit from modern warframe can only be used for activate the deeds given from this class feature. This ability replaces surging rebirth and the phoenix art of 12th level.

Trench Warfare (Ex)
Starting at 2nd level, an autumn army soldier can select one specific type of firearm (such as a machine gun, revolver, or rifle). He gains a bonus equal to his Dexterity modifier on damage rolls when firing that type of firearm. Every 6 levels thereafter (8th, 14th, and 20th), the autumn army soldier picks up another type of firearm, gaining these bonuses for those types as well. Furthermore, when behind partial, normal, or improved cover, a trench fighter gains an additional +2 AC bonus from the cover. This ability replaces toughness and the increment of fast healing of the 10th level.

At Attention (Ex)
At 4th level, the autumn army soldier gains the On your Feet phoenix art instead of personally selecting a phoenix art. This alter the phoenix art of 4th level.

Spells
The autumn army soldier replace

2nd – instant armor, ironskin, litany of defense, vestment of the champion

3rd – deadly juggernaut

4th – banishing blade, resounding blow

with the following spells for his spell list.

1st – bullet shield, fabricate bullets

2nd – bullet ward, magic siege engine, magic vestment, named bullet

4th – greater magic siege engine, greater named bullet

This alter the spell list.

Warfare Feats (Ex)
If an autumn army soldier take a combat feat with the bonus feats class feature which requires him to indicate a specific weapon (like Weapon Focus and Weapon Specialization), that weapon must be a firearms. He can still take teamwork feats and his undying level for this feats count as fighter level for prerequisites. This alter bonus feats.

Last edited:

The original version can be found here (Undying) while the modifier version and the archetype are my creations. This class is better suited to an NPC than a player as its focus is on dying and reviving, activating abilities doing this and little else. Unless the campaign has a particular focus or theme the player would get bored of playing it very quickly as it doesn't do much else (although dipping a level to get one free resurrection a day might be worth it). I'm posting it because I'm planning an NPC of my setting that has the archetype and the sheet wouldn't be understood without having the class.

Undying

The undying utilize a mysterious school of techniques collectively known as the “phoenix arts”, named after the resurrecting fire-bird. The practice of such arts is a jealously guarded secret that helps them blur the line between life and death. In the hands of a master of the phoenix arts, death is a malleable thing.

The undying are warriors who achieve an understanding of its intricacies, and find themselves neither truly alive nor dead – instead caught in a constant battle to remain in one state or the other. The techniques that they learn require years to perfect. Once mastered, they allow legions of undying to throw themselves in devastating human wave attacks, fight pitched battles, and take on assignments deemed too dangerous for anyone else.

Though there are various military organizations that employ undying soldiers they all follow similar training programs. The funding of such schools, that must often train a large number of soldiers at a time, come from local political and religious organizations. For this reason, undying are often heavily affiliated with such institutions. Undying units are large and they accept people from all walks of life. Sometimes slaves or convicts are allowed to join such units as a way to work towards freedom. The allure of potential immortality is too good for many people to pass up, though the harsh training and lifestyle weeds out all but the best. Many undying organizations have identifying marks (brands, masks, tattoos, etc.) that mark the individual as belonging to said organization. Furthermore, some societies often impart social, legal, or political restrictions on members of these units (some example: undying may not marry, may not hold office, may not own property, etc).

Hit Dice: D8.

Role: In spite of their tragically frail forms, drained by the powers they wield, the undying make excellent front line fighters. Counterintuitively, their greatest strength comes when they die. Able to self-resurrect, an undying can trigger enemy traps, temporarily distract the most dangerous foe for a while, or even fight a war of attrition that they know they will win.

Adventures: Many circumstances lead undying to become adventurers. Undying, who have died a certain number of times in battle, are often allowed to leave the military if they wish (the exact number varies but many times it is in the hundreds). Many stay with undying legions, finding it hard to adjust to civilian life after seeing so much combat. Occasionally a unit will actually be decimated or their civilization/organization destroyed – leaving them the chance to see the world.

Alignment: Any Lawful. Undying training removes all fear and doubt but also much of a trainee’s individuality. They are conditioned to respond to orders and operate as a unit. While most are neutral on the good and evil axis, there are always variances in the kind of person the units attract.

Inspiration: Undying draw from a number of disparate sources. They are monastic, unquestioning death commandos who have low standing. Part of their inspiration came from the concept of kamikaze squads, sohei, death commandos, gladiators, Persian Immortals, and even fictional sources such as the Unsullied from Game of Thrones and Fedaykin death commandos from Dune. On the other hand, resurrection is a common theme throughout many religions. Outside the Abrahamic traditions, religions like Chan Buddhism, Hinduism, and even Haitian Vodou have resurrection stories. It is quintessential to our nature as frail living beings to want to cheat death, and the undying exemplify this.

Starting Wealth: 3d6 × 10 gp (average 105 gp.). In addition, each character begins play with an outfit worth 10 gp or less.

Class Skills

The undying’s class skills are Acrobatics (Dex), Climb (Str), Craft (Int), Handle Animal (Cha), Heal (Wis), Intimidate (Cha), Knowledge (local) (Int), Knowledge (engineering) (Int), Profession (Wis), Perception (Wis), Ride (Dex), Survival (Wis), Stealth (Dex), and Swim (Str).

Skill Ranks per Level: 4 + Int modifier.

Level
Base Attack Bonus
Fort Save
Ref Save
Will Save
Special
1st​
+1​
+2​
+0​
+2​
Conscription, self-resurrection (1/day), undeath​
2nd​
+2​
+3​
+0​
+3​
Toughness​
3rd​
+3​
+3​
+1​
+3​
Self-resurrection (2/day)​
4th​
+4​
+4​
+1​
+4​
Phoenix arts​
5th​
+5​
+4​
+1​
+4​
Fast healing (3), self-resurrection (3/day)​
6th​
+6/+1​
+5​
+2​
+5​
Bonus feat, Unyielding​
7th​
+7/+2​
+5​
+2​
+5​
Self-resurrection (4/day)​
8th​
+8/+3​
+6​
+2​
+6​
Phoenix arts​
9th​
+9/+4​
+6​
+3​
+6​
Self-resurrection (5/day)​
10th​
+10/+5​
+7​
+3​
+7​
Bonus feat, fast healing (5), surging rebirth, unfeeling​
11th​
+11/+6/+1​
+7​
+3​
+7​
Self-resurrection (6/day)​
12th​
+12/+7/+2​
+8​
+4​
+8​
Phoenix arts​
13th​
+13/+8/+3​
+8​
+4​
+8​
Self-resurrection (7/day)​
14th​
+14/+9/+4​
+9​
+4​
+9​
Bonus feat, unthinking​
15th​
+15/+10/+5​
+9​
+5​
+9​
Fast healing (7), surging rebirth, self-resurrection (8/day)​
16th​
+16/+11/+6/+1​
+10​
+5​
+10​
Phoenix arts​
17th​
+17/+12/+7/+2​
+10​
+5​
+10​
Self-resurrection (9/day)​
18th​
+18/+13/+8/+3​
+11​
+6​
+11​
Bonus feat​
19th​
+19/+14/+9/+4​
+11​
+6​
+11​
Self-resurrection (10/day)​
20th​
+20/+15/+10/+5​
+12​
+6​
+12​
Fast healing (10), surging rebirth, phoenix arts, unending​

Class Features
The following are the class features of the undying.

The undying is proficient with all simple and martial weapons and with all armor (heavy, light, and medium) and shields (including tower shields).

(Sidebar) Playing an Undying
An undying is very counterintuitive to play- you want to die. When playing an undying there are two main schools of thought. The first is to rely on your phoenix arts, abilities that trigger when you resurrect, and the second is to make yourself into an undying defender. In the first case you will likely want to drop your AC a bit after you get to about 5th level (and thus have a few resurrections per day). This will allow you to trigger your phoenix arts more often because you will die more often. In the second instance, you will want to armor yourself as much as possible and take feats like Dodge to augment your AC and make up for your d8 HD.

Conscription (Ex)
An undying feels no pain, experiences no fear, and questions no orders. They gain a bonus against fear effects, pain effects, effects that results in ability score damage or drain, energy drain, and effects that result in exhaustion or fatigue. This bonus is equal to ½ their undying level (minimum +1). However, an undying has a penalty against all (non fear) mind-affecting effects as well as Sense Motive, and Bluff checks equal to ½ their undying level (minimum -1).

Self-Resurrection (Su)
At 1st level, the first time per day an undying is killed he is resurrected (as per true resurrection) at the start of their next turn. During the turn when he is resurrected, he may take actions as per normal (though he is prone in most instances). At 3rd level and every odd level thereafter, he may do this one additional time per day. His uses of this ability reset every 24 hours. In order to regain uses of this ability he must have rested at least 8 hours. An undying cannot choose to not self-resurrect.

Sidebar: How to Kill the Undying
Undying are difficult, but not impossible, to kill. The trick is that they need to be put in a situation where coming back to life still results in death. Burning one alive (or dead), bathing the corpse in acid, or just having a few guys with spears is generally sufficient to take out a lone undying. The difficulty comes when undying attack en masse. It is easy to keep track of one but miss a few and things get messy.

Undeath (Ex)
At 1st level, an undying who is reduced to 0 hp is killed rather than rendered unconscious. This is due to the constant tug towards the grave that results from tampering the energies of life and death.

Toughness (Ex)
At 2nd level, an undying gains Toughness as a bonus feat.

Phoenix Arts (Ex/Sp)
Like a phoenix rising from the ashes, an undying gains new and unique benefits as his mastery over his own mortality expands. At 4th level and every 4 levels thereafter, an undying gains a talent from the following list. Any spell-like ability uses the character’s undying level as their caster level. Talents marked with * are referred to as burst talents, and an undying can only utilize one of them per time he is resurrected. He may select which he wants to use at the time of his resurrection. An undying may also elect to benefit from no phoenix talent. Statistic bonuses provided by these abilities end upon an undying’s death.
  • Fiery Rebirth*: You produce a ring of fire around you as you are restored back to life. This deals 1d6 fire damage per level of undying and has a radius of 10 feet. Creatures in the area can attempt a Reflex save (DC 10 + ½ undying level + undying Dexterity modifier) for ½ damage.
  • On Your Feet: When you resurrect, you are standing rather than being prone. This does not provoke attacks of opportunity. In addition, any attacks made on during your first round of combat you have a +2 competence bonus for attack rolls. An undying must be at least 8th level to select this talent.
  • Light of Divine*: Your resurrection is accompanied by a flash of divine light. All creatures within 30 feet must make a Reflex save (DC 10 + ½ undying level + undying Dexterity modifier) or be dazzled for 1d4 rounds + 1 round per 4 undying level (minimum 1d4 + 1).
  • Broken Earth*: Your return to life cracks the earth around you, creating a 10-foot area of difficult terrain around you. This only functions if the surface you are on has 10 or less hardness.
  • Delayed Return: An undying can delay his return the world of the living until he is ready. After he dies he may delay his resurrection for up to 1 round per undying level. The undying determines how long he will stay dead for at the time of his demise.
  • Empowering Resurrection: After resurrecting the undying gains a +2 bonus to their Strength and Dexterity score and increases their movement speed by 10 feet for 1d4 rounds + 1 per 4 levels of undying. Should an undying die this effect prematurely ends.
  • Delay Taint (Sp)*: Upon resurrecting, all allies within 30 feet of the undying gain one of the following benefit: delay disease, delay poison, delay pain. This is chosen by the undying and may be selected on a per character basis.
  • Vitality Burst*: All allies within 30 feet of the undying are restored a number of hit points equal to twice undying level. An undying must have selected delay taint before selecting this talent.
  • Sympathetic Resurrection*: One creature within 30 feet of the undying is restored as per the undying self-resurrection class feature when the undying resurrects. A creature affected by this talent cannot be affected by it again for 1 week after being resurrected by it. The creature is selected by the undying at the time of his resurrection. An undying must have selected vitality burst before selecting this talent.
  • Hardy Spirit: You gain one additional use of your self-resurrection class feature per day. This may be selected up to 3 times. An undying must be at least 12th level to select this talent.
  • Necrotic Punishment: When you resurrect, you may deal 1d6 points per 2 levels of undying of positive energy damage to all undead within 30 feet of the site of your death. Creatures in the area can attempt a Reflex save (DC 10 + ½ undying level + undying Dexterity modifier) for ½ damage.
  • Death Pact (Sp): By swearing a mystical oath and sealing the pact with a skill gained from your study of the phoenix arts, you bind your soul to another willing creature’s. The ritual takes 10 minutes and involves an exchange of blood and the undying’s oath of loyalty to the other creature (henceforth referred to as their charge). So long as the undying is within 30 feet of his charge they are treated as if you had cast shield other on them. In addition, should the undying’s charge be killed the undying is also reduced to 0 HP (the undying may resurrect however). Death does not break a death pact, but an undying or his charge may dissolve a death pact by taking a full round action. Should a death pact be broken by either party within 24 hours of it being made, the undying takes 1 negative level for 6 hours. If the death pact is broken after the initial 24 hours there is no penalty. You can have a number of death pact active at the same time equal to 1/3 your undying level.

Fast Healing (Ex)
At 5th level, an undying is granted fast healing 3 for 1d4 rounds after they resurrect. At 10th level this improves to fast healing 5. At 15th level this is fast healing 7 and at 20th level this is fast healing 10.

Bonus Feat (Ex)
At 6th level and every 4 levels thereafter, an undying gains a teamwork feat or combat feat. An undying has an effective fighter level for the purpose of qualifying for feats equal to his undying level.

Unyielding (Ex)
The brainwashing an undying undergoes is both a blessing and a curse. At 6th level an undying is immune to fear effects.

Surging Rebirth (Ex)
At 10th level, an undying can select 2 burst talents (those talents marked with *) to benefit from when he resurrects. At 15th level he may select 3, and at 20th he may select up to 4.

Unfeeling (Ex)
At 10th level, an undying has moved beyond pain and distress. He can shut out pain as easily as he breathes. The undying is immune to pain effects; physical ability score damage; and exhaustion/fatigue.

Unthinking (Ex)
At 14th level, an undying becomes a machine of war. He becomes immune to mind-affecting effects and morale bonuses and penalties.

Unending (Ex)
At 20th level, an undying can self-resurrect a number of times per day equal to his undying level. This replaces the number of times per day specified in the self-resurrection class feature.

Autumn Army Soldiers (Undying Archetype)

Modifies weapon and armor proficiencies, phoenix art of 4th level, bonus feats; Replaces phoenix art of 12th level, surging rebirth, toughness, increase of fast healing at 10th level

Advances in technology have made archaic armors obsolete by the twentieth century, and modern soldiers concentrate training on firearms and swift feet.

The autumn army soldier is proficient with all simple and martial weapons, and with all firearms. He is proficient with light armor, but with no shield.

Gunsmith
At 1st level, the autumn army soldier gains any firearms worth 2000 gp or less. His starting weapon is battered, and only he knows how to use it properly. All other creatures treat his gun as if it had the broken condition. If the weapon already has the broken condition, it does not work at all for anyone else trying to use it. This starting weapon can only be sold for scrap (it’s worth 4d10 gp when sold). The autumn army soldier also gains Gunsmithing as a bonus feat.

Modern Warfare (Ex)
At 1st level, the autumn army soldier gains the Grit ability of the gunslinger but only for activate the following deeds. At 1st level, he gains the Quick Clear deed and at 11th level the Expert Loading and Lightning Reload deeds of the gunslinger. If the autumn army soldier take level in gunslinger, the two pool do not combine and the grit from modern warframe can only be used for activate the deeds given from this class feature. This ability replaces surging rebirth and the phoenix art of 12th level.

Trench Warfare (Ex)
Starting at 2nd level, an autumn army soldier can select one specific type of firearm (such as a machine gun, revolver, or rifle). He gains a bonus equal to his Dexterity modifier on damage rolls when firing that type of firearm. Every 6 levels thereafter (8th, 14th, and 20th), the autumn army soldier picks up another type of firearm, gaining these bonuses for those types as well. Furthermore, when behind partial, normal, or improved cover, a trench fighter gains an additional +2 AC bonus from the cover. This ability replaces toughness and the increment of fast healing of the 10th level.

At Attention (Ex)
At 4th level, the autumn army soldier gains the On your Feet phoenix art instead of personally selecting a phoenix art. This alter the phoenix art of 4th level.

Warfare Feats (Ex)
If an autumn army soldier take a combat feat with the bonus feats class feature which requires him to indicate a specific weapon (like Weapon Focus and Weapon Specialization), that weapon must be a firearms. He can still take teamwork feats and his undying level for this feats count as fighter level for prerequisites. This alter bonus feats.
I actually really love both this class and archetype. I think it could make for a fun character but I can also see why you'd want to relegate it to being an npc type class, unless the person just kills themselves all the time to use their powers lol.

Obly99

Hero
I actually really love both this class and archetype. I think it could make for a fun character but I can also see why you'd want to relegate it to being an npc type class, unless the person just kills themselves all the time to use their powers lol.
We have try to play it but become boring very quickly. We found 2 ways for using it as players: as a cohort to take advantage of Sympathetic Resurrection or as a one-level multiclass to get yourself a true resurrection 1/day

We have try to play it but become boring very quickly. We found 2 ways for using it as players: as a cohort to take advantage of Sympathetic Resurrection or as a one-level multiclass to get yourself a true resurrection 1/day
Maybe some magic would make them a little less boring? Give them 4th or 6th level magic like a Pali or Bard, but make it very specific like only divination or only healing with a focus on resurrection and a very limited spell list. If they had something to do in combat besides wait to get killed it might help.

You know, there's a class called the Yogi from the Best of D20 2006 book which this reminds me of. They're like a Monk but have a bunch of Stoicism type powers and their focus is being able to hit a target. So they use an ability called centered strike that allows them as a standard action to strike a foe as if they're flat footed, and eventually get something called Find Weakness that allows them to as a full round action hit someone's touch ac, and their most useful power is something called unravel magic which gives them one of the strongest Spell Resistances in the game. They get magic but it's all divination magic and up to level 6.

The issue is they have few real combat options and always dealing about 10 damage per round. It makes them feel very underpowered and makes them underpowered where it counts.

So I revamped it a little and made it quite powerful without it being overpowered. I'll post them both on here so you can see what I mean.

Obly99

Hero
Maybe some magic would make them a little less boring? Give them 4th or 6th level magic like a Pali or Bard, but make it very specific like only divination or only healing with a focus on resurrection and a very limited spell list. If they had something to do in combat besides wait to get killed it might help.
Added simple spellcasting like that of the paladin (also using his base spell list) with some spell list changes for the archetype as well

Remove ads