Unearthed Arcana Subclass features - Is "(as if concentrating on spell)" the same as concentrating on a spell?

Volund

Explorer
I have noticed that some of the recent UA subclasses have features that last "until your concentration ends (as if concentrating on a spell)." Wizard Order of Scribes' Manifest Mind and Undead Warlock's Spirit Projection are two examples. While this phrase appears in the MM, I haven't found it anywhere in the PHB. I'm curious if anyone has thought about whether a PC/NPC using one of these features can also concentrate on a spell.

Two plausible readings of "(as if concentrating on a spell)" occur to me:
1) Although this feature is not technically a spell it is the functional equivalent of a spell requiring concentration, and your concentration can be broken just like with a spell. If you are concentrating on using this feature you cannot also concentrate on a spell.
2) Although this feature isn't a spell, the same rules for ending concentration on a spell are used to end concentration on this feature. Class features are not spells, so the rule against concentrating on more than one spell does not apply.

Follow up question: If you are a DM in camp 2, would you have a single concentration check apply to both the spell and the feature, or ask for one check for the spell and another for the feature?

Clearly the intent is 1). However, it might be worth asking for clarification in the survey feedback, given how many people who seem to make a hobby of misinterpreting rules there are about.

ccs

41st lv DM
It's likely intended to be #1.
But at my table (if it ever comes up) we'd probably play it as as #2.

Shiroiken

Legend
The notion of thought 2 never crossed my mind, nor do I feel it's the intent. If you did go with thought 2, I'd probably have separate saves for each, since you consider them two separate effects.

Remove ads