D&D (2024) Subclasses at first level and multiclassing

cbwjm

Seb-wejem
Going back to the original post - I'm a fan of 3rd level subclasses. But some people want subclass 1st elvel, and for me that would need to go hand-in-hand with a multiclassing solution that prevents cherry-picking from being overpowered at any level (low and high).

So, for the purposes of this thread, can we discuss how to either prevent cherrypicking or to ensure that multiclassing a 1st or 2nd level of a class does not provide more power than advancing a class you already have while still granting subclass at 1st.
Essentially you remove some of the class abilities to 2nd or 3rd level so that level 1 had more of the subclass. It was actually something that Mearls mentioned in one of the happy fun time streams, the wizard could have been at level 1 with arcane recovery at level 2, essentially just swapping the features.

I would like all subclass to start at level 1, but I don't think that is going to happen. I'll be happy if we can at least have every class gain subclass features at the same level, looks promising so far but who knows what the future will bring. If they did all start at level 1 though, and the subclass features were comparable then in not sure it would matter if people kept cherrypicking since the class wouldn't be front loaded with both class features and subclass features.

Remove ads