• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Spoilers Sugar (Apple TV+)

Rabulias

the Incomparably Shrewd and Clever
Anyone else seen this yet? I found it pretty watchable.

I began to suspect something was up before the reveal, and I considered many options (angels, Highlander-esque immortals, secret superheroes, aliens, time travellers).

Reminds me of the Dark Horse comic book series Resident Alien, which has a decidedly different tone than its TV show.

They also had a meta moment when Sugar namedropped the movie L.A. Confidential, as James Cromwell was in that film, too.

briggart

Adventurer
Just finished. I heard something about a twist, so the big reveal was not much of a surprise, but regardless I really liked it.

I need some time to digest it, before I can say if the twist ended up adding something to the show for me.

Tutara

Adventurer
Read a sniffy review in the Guardian that hinted at a twist, but did so in such an oblique fashion I assumed it was a pretty standard one (particularly considering the genre I thought it was and not knowing the genre it also was). Around the halfway mark, I blurted out "Wait! Is he [the twist]?" to my wife, and we laughed. Then we stopped laughing and realised I could be right, and spent the rest of the episode like mad conspiracy theorists analysing every moment for confirmation. Was very pleased that our shared lunacy turned out to be right.

I also loved the fact that "the twist" didn't really matter to the main plot, other than giving context for the weirdness we'd both been noticing since episode one. Good show, thoroughly enjoyed it. Apparently the classic movie cutaways weren't originally planned, but had been used to help the director understand noir, and they worked so well they just kept them in.

Remove ads