• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Suggestions for Campaign settings?

irdeggman

First Post
psychic mind flayer said:
Great! Thanks! But as a newbie to the game, I have no idea what to do next. How do I start to create my own campaign?

Thanks.:D

Get some back copies of Dungeon Magazine. They usually have articles about game/campaign design and running games. I don't recall off hand (I'll try to look them up later) what issues appear to be of the most use but it is of some verygood use for beginners and the like, IMO. They also always have advantures and most recently have gone back to their style of 1 low, 1 medium and 1 high level adventure.

melkorspawn

First Post
I've been playing in Greyhawk (Though I really miss Forgotten Realms). One of the pros of Greyhawk is that much of the source material is available free because of the people playing in Living Greyhawk. The main site is http://www.living-greyhawk.com/ , but I usually deal with http://www.living-greyhawk.com/bissel/ (as that's the region I'm generally in... my DM is from Massachusetts). I believe that there's an individual section for each Greyhawk region, each of which contains maps, info, mods, mileage charts... all the good stuff. The downside to this is that when I first found the site, I started looking around, and then realized with horror that I was reading the mod that I was currently playing, not good. :)

Ranger REG

Explorer
I'm new to D&D, and I just fond out about Eberron, Forgotten Realms, etc. Which is the best to play in?
It depends. Greyhawk is the default D&D setting. Whatever is in the core rules product line can be used in that setting "as is."

Forgotten Realms is a bit "high magic" so spellcasters like wizards would have a much easier to time to adventure.

Eberron combines pulp with fantasy.

But aside from the prepublished setting, the best one to play in is the one you create, starting from a small area like the town that is the base of operation for your player characters and expand from there.

Dryfus

First Post
Great! Thanks! But as a newbie to the game, I have no idea what to do next. How do I start to create my own campaign?

Thanks.:D

as what aters said, but also look on the web for creationg campagins. there is a multitude of information on it.

Thanee

First Post
While the DMG 3.0 is not a bad book, it's a bit outdated. ;)

You would be best advised to get the PHB 3.5, the DMG 3.5 and the MM 3.5, plus the XPH and the ECS (AFAIK, psionics are integrated there; note: I don't really know much about Eberron).

PHB 3.5 - Player's Handbook 3.5
DMG 3.5 - Dungeon Master's Guide 3.5
MM 3.5 - Monster Manual 3.5
XPH - Expanded Psionics Handbook
ECS - Eberron Campaign Setting

With those five books you should have everything covered for a good while... you would only need an adventure or three to get started (it's a good idea to run some published modules first, so you get an idea how it is done before creating your own).

Bye
Thanee

Ranger REG

Explorer
Shellman said:
IMO:

Greyhawk is too generic and bland for me.
That can be a good thing because the DMs can put their own creative spin on Greyhawk, especially if they're not followers of the RPGA sanctioned Living Greyhawk program.

Bloodweaver1

First Post
Thanks, Everyone. I'm not sure I'll be getting the v. 3.5 books too soon, but I will try to get the XPH. Sorry, but I'm not sure I Like Eberron (too much technology).

I am a bit partial, but may I suggest Dark Sun (www.athas.org). Is a high psionic low technology realm with lots of interesting characters and monsters. Its a desert type campiagn so I would recommend grabing the new Sandstorm source book for some extra material. Really fun campaign IMHO.

-BW

Remove ads