• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Suggestions for good modules

Kershek

Sci-Fi Newshound
What would you like to see in published modules that doesn't seem to appear, or that appears in modules produced by only one or two publishers?

Personally, I would find it a big help if each magic item listed included Detect Magic stats. For instance, a party finds a ring in some treasure. Immediately the spellcaster whips out Detect Magic. What's the school? What's the DC? You gotta pull out the books or wing it. Instead, they should add the following line to their Ring of Protection +1:

Faint strength, DC 16 Abjuration (Shield of Faith)

It gives all the relevant stats, including the spell needed to create it, so that no page-flipping in the DMG is necessary. It also should list the most basic enchantment first as a bonus for the Identify spell. Here's another example, a Heavy Flail of Shock +1:

Medium strength, DC 18 Invocation (no spell)
Medium strength, DC 18 Evocation (Lightning Bolt)

A final example, a Pearl of Power, 1st level:

Strong strength, DC 24 Transmutation (no spell)

When prepping for a module, it took me quite a while to track down all the magic items and assign Detect Magic checks for them.

Another suggestion would be to list the module's total magic item value. It would also be nice to give a market value next to the item. In a particular 5th level module, I counted 52,768 gold in magic items and 16,950 gold in potions (I didn't even count total coinage or gems found). Yow! Showing a value like this up front will allow the DM to adjust items as necessary to fit the flavor of the campaign with less prep work.

What other suggestions do you have for module writers? Do you feel these are good suggestions?

Loric

First Post
Even if its not in the module itself, having it all listed in summary form on a chart or something available for download would be very helpful

Loric

darkbard

Legend
i think these are excellent suggestions but i doubt anyone will begin to include such information soon. adding such stats that a dm can look up for herself is ultimately wasted space that is better used for adventure content from a publisher's perspective. or so i'm willing to wager.

Kershek

Sci-Fi Newshound
I suppose perhaps downloadable extras may be the only way to include this information. Would it be a violation of copyright for a fan to put it on a web page, I wonder...

Last edited:

jasper

Rotten DM
cross reference in the text
ex. Troll (48) MM1 p6.
This will help when mixing outsiders like the Speaker in My Dreams.
Only 1 new monster per module.
More than one way to win.
If location has major detail place that on the map.
Ex bed hiding trap door and neither bed or door marked on page.

Side view of dungeon with some numbers.
ex similar to Forge of Fury but add room numbers to view.

What mix is recommend. Ex 5-7 character with one thief.

Dc listed for new magic items.

Monster starting locations if tactics are discussed. small t's x whatever.
Ex. In forge two t's could be place by the cave with their pet.

Eosin the Red

First Post
What would you like to see in published modules that doesn't seem to appear, or that appears in modules produced by only one or two publishers?

1) Well thought out plots
2) Engaging, yet reasonable villains (read no half anything). Maybe even a human villain once in awhile.

I know that I won't see them, but it is a fantasy of mine.

Lord Ben

First Post
I have the Sunless Citadel, Forge of Fury, NeMorens Vault, Ruins of Myth Drannor, Return to the Temple of EE, and Lands of Mystery (set of 4 Kalamar adventures). So far I think Lands of Mystery is pretty cool. I haven't gotten the chance to play it yet, but having the Image Quest system absolutely rocks. Frankly I highly doubt I'll buy another WotC module unless it catches my fancy. None of them interest me much although the first two had lots of nice starter info in them for me as a DM.

I'd say that anything with Image Quest is going to rank highly in my book. Anything I can use to make the PC's feel that they're "there" is highly worthwhile. Hopefully other groups will take on this approach that Kalamar uses because I'm sure there are lots of good module writers out there.

Remove ads