• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Suggestions for new class

Phion

Explorer
All I am saying is you tried to cover all the bases as a divine sorcerer to create balance. He ended up dying alone and will probably be forgotten. Wolf totem barbarian will not die alone because he will always be fighting along side allies. If you die you will all die together gloriously, tales will be told of how everyone critted 500000 dinosaurs before bleeding out.

The paladin will be smiting for days, the other barbarian will not be using reckless attack, the calvier will be crying over his dead horse, the shadow monk will become courageous punching his way to true enlightment and the lore bard will do what all spell casters do and hide in the background.

I did consider a life cleric but my last encounter made me reconsider it.

The problem with any cleric in Tomb is a) all resurrection spells have failed and b) healing wastes a turn. It's reactive and the game favours reducing incoming damage instead of dealing with it after. I think.

In the case of my last characters death for example, the action was:

"You see something appear out of a nearby grave, surprising your level 3 self. It hits you twice, each time doing about 18 damage. You have around 17 HP? Oh dear. You explode into a fine mist. Spoiler character/old woman laughs."

Being able to heal wouldn't have been able to do anything in a campaign where a random roll can make several t-rexes roll across a level 3 group ;)

Mort

Legend
Supporter
I did consider a life cleric but my last encounter made me reconsider it.

The problem with any cleric in Tomb is a) all resurrection spells have failed and b) healing wastes a turn. It's reactive and the game favours reducing incoming damage instead of dealing with it after. I think.

With a life cleric, healing word becomes decent, at least for lower levels.

60 foot Range, bonus action healing of 1d4 +6 or so.

If the module is cheesy (and it kind of sounds it) get cheesy back: life cleric 1/druid x, never worry about healing again thanks to gooberry. Plus at higher levels, Dino jumps at you, turn into a bigger Dino and eat it.

Sent from my SM-G930V using EN World mobile app

Phion

Explorer
Seems a bit harsh but I guess your DM wants it to feel a bit like jurassic park perhaps. Jokes aside a eldritch knight may be good, decent AC to begin with and you can then you can cast shield as a reaction. Another alternative is Ranger with a bow and healing spirit for party, maybe monster hunter as archetype for flavour plus extra damage and better saving throws.

Apparently in the Tomb of Annihilation module. Our GM is very even handed about this - if it's in the book, it can attack us.

In this case it was something hidden in an unmarked grave... I'd been left to look after an old woman while the party scouted. I looked across a field, it appeared surprising me, it hit me twice incredibly hard each time reducing my total HP by the amount of damage I took as well. I died. (I'd still love to know what it was).

All good but it left me going 'ah. A caster isn't going to cut it unless I somehow find a way of buffing myself.'

I did consider a life cleric 1 dip for heavy armour and healing word before switching to war mage (if caster). I normally like playing summoner types in games (blame diablo 2's necromancer) but this really isn't the system for them.

Phion

Explorer
If your race is dwarf you can wear the heavy armour and put nothing into str, you will face no penalties for this due to racial features. You can then focus on the war mage levels. Or you could go forge Cleric with one level into wizard just to rob the shield spell, this way you can heal a bit while having high AC. Shield of faith + shield to get an extra +7 to AC

Tales and Chronicles

Jewel of the North, formerly know as vincegetorix
I have in bank a tabaxi trickery cleric who fights with a crossbow that could do some healing, scout (and help others do too), buff/debuff and also be useful in social interaction. It could be fun if your not sure which niche you want to fill or if you want to fill a niche.

Or take the Moon druid and become the T-Rex.

Last edited:

Forget the tactics you think you know, play something that will be fun and unpredictable.

Tomb of Annihilation is predictably deadly. Playing something unpredictable might be the only way to beat it.

Whatever works! The gm is very impartial so some of the open world hex stuff in tomb is lethal. What killed me was a CR 9 clay golem appearing and insta-gibbing me ;) was in there book apparently so all fair. My reaction is ‘damn - there is no room for weird to builds in this adventure then’

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads