• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Suggestions on playing a 6 Charisma

Kilroy

First Post
Work off that "hunted and amnesiac" background. He's constantly on edge, snaps at everything, and doesn't know why. He gets she shakes and is prone to night terrors.

maddman75

First Post
Noskov said:
As a plain, shy, reclusive person, I take offense to this thread.

If it makes you feel any better I was sorely tempted to point toward the various dating threads in the OT forum for inspiration. :p

Pkitty, that sounds like a blast to play! Almost as fun as my low int, low wis fighter. I expressed him as Master of the Obvious. I usually get thrust into a leadership position, and this was my way of rebelling. For example, after spending a few hours battling through hordes of undead in a fallen city, I'd wait for the group to get embroiled in debate over what course of action to take. Then exclaim, as if he'd had a sudden insight "Hey - I think this city might be haunted!"

:)

cjdc1973

First Post
In one of the campaigns I was playing in that recently ended I was playing a Dwarf Psychic Warriro with a Charisma of 6 and a Wisdom of 18. The way I played was that he knew he was being offensive on almost every occasion, but he just didn't care. Whenever it came time to role play a Charisma based skill, he just ignored tham and did whatever he wanted. His bluffs came out as horribly bad lies, his intimidates were nothing more than a street bully.

Later on he became known for some of his more disgusting schenanigans. Once, while drunk he masturbated in the common room of an Inn on a dare. He was known for asking complete strangers if they would take money for sex. He sat down on the thrones of kings, belched or farted while dining with political allies and generally made a nuisance of himself when conversing with anyone.

He made up for all of these facts by being the party tank and ruthlessly loyal to all his allies.

He was so much fun to play. =8)

Shallown

First Post
I had a low charisma gnome once who I played as the guy who truly tried but just always said the wrong thing. It was challenging to come up with always the worse way to communicate an idea or concept and to say the most offensive thing withouttrying to be offensive and without not caring about offending people. Sort of tragic in a way. His best moment was when the party leader a cleric of pelor had his family whipped out in a raid. He remained silent after the funeral knowing he couldn't say anything that wouldn't hurt his friend. It was fun to play.

Later

Mishihari Lord

First Post
I would suggest playing the character as an eccentric that makes other people a little uncomfortable and is not takes seriously. Luna Lovegood from the Harry Potter series is a good example of such a character.

Tonguez

A suffusion of yellow
If normal people in DnD have a Cha of 10 then a Geek has a Cha of 8, so 6 would be somebody so pathetic that even the geeks put him down. He is no selfconfidence (NB ability represents actual strength of personality) and mopes around knowing that the world doesn't like him (afterall thats why he's being hunted and quite frankly maybe things would be better if - um- yeah).

His is not as Wretched as the Cha 4 half-orc that nobody likes, he's just someone people tend to overlook, take no interest in and think of as a bit of a dick. Now even though he has no self-esteem he does still have a sense of dignity (unlike the wretched cha 4 waste of good orc flesh) and will step forward if his dignity demands (at which point people will quickly loose interest unless he has pumped a whole lot of ranks into Diplomacy or something)

Quickleaf

Legend
eris404 said:
Edit - forgot to add, he is currently suffering from amnesia, partly brought by being hunted by ....something....into the WLD. The WLD is set in the Dreamlands and so he may be from some other world (if he could remember). He's a generally a kind guy, though he he's not above bending or ignoring rules (NG) when the situation calls for it.

My first thought was, if he is a creature of the dreamlands, perhaps he has an otherworldly aura to him. Don' take any ranks in Handle Animal. People and animals have strong reactions to him, innkeepers refusing to lodge him and his companions, dogs barking, chickens fleeing for their lives, etc.

For a more playable option, you might consider that he is absolutely *irresistable.* In fact, he is so good looking and charming that all men are jealous of him. He puts doubts in the minds of aged clerics about their faithful wives when he walks into the temple. Men assume he is a slick, glib, conman, and detest his presence. Women who meet him have one of two reactions. Either they "see through" his charming exterior and assume he is an escaped criminal or has made a bargain with the devil, hiding their daughters from the PC, and refusing to let her sons serve as his henchmen. Other woman fawn over the character, but these are rarely the sorts of women one wishes to attract. Consider this...

A penalty to Gather Information due to several promiscuous village girls following your character around. A penalty to Diplomacy because the character has a reputation as a lecher and a conman. A penalty to Bluff because nobody believes the character anyhow. A penalty to Intimidate because everyone knows the city guard would love to nab the "unscrupulous debacher" and needs just a little provokation.

It would be a great twist on the usual interpretation of Charisma and would meet the description of Charisma in the core rules. It's "force of personality" working in the wrong direction. ;)

Tonguez

A suffusion of yellow
Quickleaf said:
It would be a great twist on the usual interpretation of Charisma and would meet the description of Charisma in the core rules. It's "force of personality" working in the wrong direction. ;)

Hey thats kind of cool - you get to play the Marquis de Sade!

eris404

Explorer
Great responses! The first session I did emphasize that he was nondescript though I played him as rather friendly. He encountered two wounded orcs when he first entered the dungeon and his first impulse was to make a rude gesture at them. But then he felt bad and told them they could come along with him if they wanted. Unfortunately, they did.

I like the idea of not having a censor and letting him say whatever is on his mind. I also like the dark sense of humor, too. Some of the suggestions made me think of Eeyore from Winnie the Pooh: pessimistic, dull, self-depreciating, although I have always found Eeyore to be endearing, too.

Quickleaf, your suggestion is awesome - I'm not sure if I want to show it to my DM or not, though. :uhoh:

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads