Suicide Squad - Comic-Con First Look [HD]

Status
Not open for further replies.

MechaPilot

Explorer
I feel the same way. For me that was Ledger's Joker. What I'm seeing so far from Leto's Joker strikes me more as attention whore than psychotic villain. Ledger's portrayal is something that I actually found disturbing. I may be proved wrong when the movie is actually released, but that's my take so far.

Though I feel differently than you do about Leto's Joker, I will agree on the attention whore bit in one regard: the tattoos. The tattoos seem sort of attention-whore-ish. Of course, they also seem somewhat realistic given how significant tattoos are in prison culture, and the fact that the Joker is likely to have some priors.

Ryujin

Legend
You've seen... 12 words. Honestly, this conversation is mildly silly.

Twelve words, comments from co-stars, and Twitter posts ;)

Oh, and comments from the Yonge Street shoot in Toronto, though those were minimal. I work where they were shooting.

Ryujin

Legend
Though I feel differently than you do about Leto's Joker, I will agree on the attention whore bit in one regard: the tattoos. The tattoos seem sort of attention-whore-ish. Of course, they also seem somewhat realistic given how significant tattoos are in prison culture, and the fact that the Joker is likely to have some priors.

The tattoo reveal, in Leto's early online posts, were part of what left me cold. I was hoping that they were just an affectation for that particular set of posts, as was hinted at, but it seems that they are a definite part of the characterization. To me, you see, the Joker doesn't care about "prison culture." When your face is scarred like that, you don't really need anything else to say who you are. Also it's been quite some time since my comic book days and undoubtedly there have been quite a few changes, but I don't recall The Joker ever having tattoos.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member

Tattoos are pretty mainstream in 2015. Nobody even notices them any more.

MechaPilot

Explorer
The tattoo reveal, in Leto's early online posts, were part of what left me cold. I was hoping that they were just an affectation for that particular set of posts, as was hinted at, but it seems that they are a definite part of the characterization. To me, you see, the Joker doesn't care about "prison culture." When your face is scarred like that, you don't really need anything else to say who you are. Also it's been quite some time since my comic book days and undoubtedly there have been quite a few changes, but I don't recall The Joker ever having tattoos.

The Joker at one point had a massive oriental dragon tattoo that covered his entire back.

vzqkcNH.jpg

Last edited:

Ryujin

Legend
Neither did I, at least not when I was reading comic books. However, I saw it referenced when online film talk shows were discussing Leto's Joker's tattoos.

A quick search shows that image comes from "All Star Batman and Robin, The Boy Wonder", which involved stories that were outside of the main ongoing story arc. The implication is that they aren't exactly canon. No real big deal if this is the way that they want to go, as there have and will be many interpretations along the line, but so far this one isn't ringing my bell.

MechaPilot

Explorer
To me, you see, the Joker doesn't care about "prison culture."

To address this specific part separately, I have to point out that you appear to be assuming that the Joker was never in prison before becoming the Joker. If the Joker was a regular but eccentric criminal before whatever caused him to become the Joker happened, then being affected by or caring about prison culture makes some sense.

Also, I have a personal theory that the damaged tattoo is not something the Joker did, but is something that others did to him at some point in his past. That tattoo's gentle cursive quality doesn't fit in with the rest of the more jagged and angular tattoos on the joker.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads