• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Suikoden

a friend of mine is trying to work up Suikoden for d20, useing the rules for d20 modern, any advice or anything other people have worked up, and would like to share would be appreciated.

NPCs - LOTS of NPCs. :) I'm asuming the idea is garnered from the video games (or the anime) and not the original Chinese mythology... If so, read the mythology, it should make the setting a little easier to comprehend. Please let me know when this is done, I'd like to eyeball it if you don't mind, I love the games and the mythology (I'll fiinish it one day I swear) is awesome.

awayfarer

First Post
Suikoden was based on some aprt of chinese mythology? I'm a fan of the series but never knew that. Actually, I should say I'm a fan of 1 and 2.

The combat system in 3 left me really disgruntled. I've had it twice where a character couldn't get around to the part of the field they wanted and just ended up running back and forth such that the game couldn't move forward.

How accurately is he trying to reproduce it? I'd imagine that the magic system would be a bit tough to work out.

babomb

First Post
awayfarer said:
Suikoden was based on some aprt of chinese mythology? I'm a fan of the series but never knew that. Actually, I should say I'm a fan of 1 and 2.

Suikoden is loosely based on a Chinese story called Shui Hu Zhuan (Outlaws of the Marsh). By the way, I've never had the problem you describe in 3 (and I haven't played 4 because I heard it was awful), but I agree 1 and 2 were better.

Try searching the Wizards boards. I know I've seen some partial Suikoden d20 rules there. It might give you some ideas.

frankthedm

First Post
I loved the first game. The Death spells actually worked! [other than the plot immune bosses] In sooo many other games Death spells are a waste of magic that never work.

Yeah, the magic system and the buffing of the runes would probably be the worst monster to overcome. I have played all 4 Suikoden games. 1 & 2 are awesome, 3 was good but more in line with Final Fantasy than Suikoden. 4 is completely different and if compared to the other 3, I can understand the bias for it being a "bad" game. The game play is completely alien from the other installments but, if counted as a seperate entity is a pretty good game. It just doesn;t live up to the mantle of Suikoden very well.

Thanks for the assist babomb - I knew it was close but couldn't remember the actual title. (That and my Chinese language skills are a little rusty - aw heck, they're non-exsistent).

Here are a couple of other places that have begun the battle (so to speak):
Truerune's Suikoden RPG
SARS (For info only)

Andor

First Post
IV drove me nuts, and was sold unfinished. III is still on my shelf so I can replay it some time. But yeah 1&2 were something special.

And I do seem to recall seeing a D&D conversion somewhere on the web at somepoint. How's your google-fu?

Kem

First Post
babomb said:
Suikoden is loosely based on a Chinese story called Shui Hu Zhuan (Outlaws of the Marsh). By the way, I've never had the problem you describe in 3 (and I haven't played 4 because I heard it was awful), but I agree 1 and 2 were better.

Try searching the Wizards boards. I know I've seen some partial Suikoden d20 rules there. It might give you some ideas.

I might be mistaken, but its much easier to find the Pearl S Buck Translation "All Men Are Brothers". At least thats the book that I have always had fun comparing to Suikoden.

Arrgh! Mark!

First Post
I loved those games. Kind of interesting; not sure how you'd do the rune things. Prestige class?

I just saw a Suikoden Tactics in the store but I know nothing about it. Anyone have an opinion?

He's useing the games, and trying to recreate it as acurately as possible. He know's all about the story behind it. The things he's having the most problem with is the runes, the magic, and the weapons. Apperently there are like 14 levels to the weapons... anyway, thanks everyone for all your input. i'll try to post it when he finishes.

Remove ads