• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Sun Soul Monk / Undying Light Warlock

Jaappleton

First Post
I have an idea, and I just wanted to make sure that it'd work before actually building it. Because if it works, this could be pretty amazing.

Let's start at lv7. My table rolls stats, so let's make the assumption of 18 Dex, 16 Wisdom, 16 Charisma.

Sun Soul 5 / Light Warlock 2

Hex grants 1d6 to all attacks, right?

Radiant Sun Bolt would deal 1d6 + 4 (Dex Mod). But the Light Warlock feature adds +Cha to all Radiant and Fire damage. Radiant Sun Bolt is a "ranged spell attack".

My reading of RSB is that I can fire off one whenever I take the "Attack" action, and that it doesn't require the whole use of an Action to fire one (like most offensive cantrips). So at lv5, I can fire two, and an additional two if I spend a Ki point.

So with Hex, and spending a Ki point, assuming all four bolts hit...

4d6 (RSB) + 4d6 (Hex) + 16 (Dex Mod x4) + 12 (Cha Mod x4) per round. On average, that's 56 Radiant damage per round, isn't it?

Does this work? Am I missing something? Granted, assumptions are being made, like all attacks hitting, but this should work, right?

zarzak

First Post
As written this works, and is pretty cool at mid-levels.

That said - why two levels of warlock? Is it for the additional spell slot?

*edit* Even without rolling stats, you can pretty easily have that spread as a half-elf:

8 Strength
8 Int
10 Con
14 +2 = 16 CHA
15 +1 = 16 DEX
15 + 1 = 16 WIS

Throw an additional +2 somewhere with your 4th level asi

First Post
If you hit Warlock 9, Sun Soul 5, you can Hex a creature and cast Curse as a 5th level spell (no concentration) that's a potential of

1d6+DEX+CHA+1d8+1d6 per hit (11.5+DEX+CHA average)

With maxed stats that's 21.5 damage per hit on average. DPR with Flurry would be 86!

Nice find haha.

Jaappleton

First Post
Thanks! Though I have to think the Undying Light will have the damage boost pushed off to level six because of this, when/if it's officially released.

Jaappleton

First Post
Also, one more thing:

Stealth. Hex the targets Wisdom. Sneak up, Stunning Strike. You Hex Wisdom to give disadvantage on Perception to see you.

Now, I read somewhere that hitting a Stunned target is a critical hit. I'd really like someone to confirm that, it honestly may have been from a house rule I read. But let's assume it's true for a moment.

The target is stunned until the end of your next turn. All damage dice are doubled. I believe that'd also double Hex damage dice, wouldn't it? A Paladins Smite dice are doubled, so I believe Hex would, too.

Let's focus on the meat on this bone. The second round, after the targets been stunned. All damage dice doubled.

16d6 +28, and that's not counting the additional attacks from back in that first round after hitting with Stunning Strike.

If this works... Wow. Consider this when in an Undead or Fiend heavy campaign, where many enemies would be vulnerable to Radiant. But be aware that the Hex damage is still Necrotic.

First Post
Also, one more thing:

Stealth. Hex the targets Wisdom. Sneak up, Stunning Strike. You Hex Wisdom to give disadvantage on Perception to see you.

Now, I read somewhere that hitting a Stunned target is a critical hit. I'd really like someone to confirm that, it honestly may have been from a house rule I read. But let's assume it's true for a moment.

The target is stunned until the end of your next turn. All damage dice are doubled. I believe that'd also double Hex damage dice, wouldn't it? A Paladins Smite dice are doubled, so I believe Hex would, too.

Let's focus on the meat on this bone. The second round, after the targets been stunned. All damage dice doubled.

16d6 +28, and that's not counting the additional attacks from back in that first round after hitting with Stunning Strike.

If this works... Wow. Consider this when in an Undead or Fiend heavy campaign, where many enemies would be vulnerable to Radiant. But be aware that the Hex damage is still Necrotic.

• A stunned creature is incapacitated (see the condition), can’t move, and can speak only falteringly. • The creature automatically fails Strength and Dexterity saving throws. • Attack rolls against the creature have advantage.

An incapacitated creature can’t take actions or reactions.

Sorry that won't work

Jaappleton

First Post
Ok, thank you very much for confirming it! If it did work, it would've pushed it beyond the levels of absurdity and right into crazy town!

EDIT: Ah, I was confusing Stunned with Paralyzed, it seems.

Last edited:

Jaappleton

First Post
Someone asked why two levels of Warlock with this:

I'm doing it as a Warforged and I wanted the Devils Sight invocation to overcome the lack of Darkvision. The Warforged's +1 to AC is pretty lucrative to me.

yargon

First Post
Hi can you clarify something for me?
Radiant Soul says...
Starting at 1st level, your link to the Positive Plane allows you to serve as a conduit for radiant energy. You have resistance to radiant damage, and when you cast a spell that deals radiant damage or fire damage, you add your Charisma modifier to that damage.

the bit of interest is "when you cast a spell" but the sun soul monk says

RADIANT SUN BOLT
Starting when you choose this tradition at 3rd level, you can hurl searing bolts of magical radiance.
You gain a ranged spell attack that you can use with the Attack action.

this isn't casting a spell, so the Radiant Soul wouldn't trigger.
or have i missed something?

Remove ads