• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Sundered Sky News [Thanks]

Dave Blewer

First Post
Hi,

About a year or so back I posted some info on a D20 campaign I was writing called Sundered Sky (it's a world of floating islands and skyships). It got a really good response on the Storyhour and General RPG boards. I have continued to write the world setting over the months...

Fast forward to now.

I recently purchased Savage Worlds and immediately saw the benefits of converting Sundered Sky across to it. I started doing so and posted some details on the PEG board. Next day I found myself reading an email from Shane Lacy Hensley, offering me the opportunity to write and develop the Sundered Sky setting for publication as a Savage Worlds hardback.

:D

So here I am, working on my most largest professional job so far (I was one of the writers on Archipelagoes, from Oriflam/Eden) and I have a great debt of gratitude to the folks of EN World for reacting so favorably to the setting in the first place.

Thanks!

:cool:

Dave Blewer

First Post
Thanks!

As you can guess I am pretty stoked!

Ahh, yes your maps... I used one of them for my games, but I would think that Pinnacle have something else in mind.

Your naps are very cool though :cool:

Vrylakos

First Post
Dave Blewer said:
Hi,

About a year or so back I posted some info on a D20 campaign I was writing called Sundered Sky (it's a world of floating islands and skyships). It got a really good response on the Storyhour and General RPG boards. I have continued to write the world setting over the months...

Fast forward to now.

I recently purchased Savage Worlds and immediately saw the benefits of converting Sundered Sky across to it. I started doing so and posted some details on the PEG board. Next day I found myself reading an email from Shane Lacy Hensley, offering me the opportunity to write and develop the Sundered Sky setting for publication as a Savage Worlds hardback.

I was just curious:

What are the benefits? I'm not superfamiliar with Savage Worlds.

Thanks! And Good Luck with the new gig!

vrylakos

Dave Blewer

First Post
Hi,

Thanks for the thanks :)

The benefits as I see them:

1. The combats are incredibly fast... the first fight I ever ran consisted of three characters facing two separate swarms of 12 zombies and the battle was over in about half an hour. Keep in mind that this was the first fight, so we were still shaking down the rules. It was detailed as well. Zombies were using swarm attacks, Wild Attacks, players were using tricks and tactics to try and defeat the swarms.

2. During the entire combat, I as GM, didn’t have to make a single note. Monsters were either up, shaken (Monsters can’t attack, and can only move at half speed) or they were down. Leave the figure where it is, knock it over or take it away.

3. Preparation time. Where it used to take me hours to design and encounter in D20, I can do the same job in Savage Worlds in a few minutes, tens of minutes at the most. As a GM I find myself concentrating on plot rather than trying to balance figures.

4. None of my D20 books are obsolete; every RPG out there is convertible to Savage Worlds with very little fuss.

5. My players report that it still feels like they are playing D20. They still roll to hit, still roll damage, they still have feats (called Edges in SW), they still cast spells. They are happy.

I still like D20, and I can see myself running it again in certain circumstances, but I love Savage Worlds.

Dave Blewer

First Post
Just a final post (in this thread) to let those interested know that I have updated the Sundered Skies web page to reflect this exciting news.

It also contains a short piece of text to give you an idea of the kind of stuff that is coming in Sundered Skies

Sundered Skies

Remove ads