• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Super SPOILER FILLED Serenity thread

Rackhir

Explorer
I'd have to agree, I didn't think they were trying to make any sort of real world analogy either. The point was that the ends don't justify the means and that you can't build a Utopia on top of bodies.

dravot

First Post
Rackhir said:
I'd have to agree, I didn't think they were trying to make any sort of real world analogy either. The point was that the ends don't justify the means and that you can't build a Utopia on top of bodies.
I name this land...Corpsetopia! :uhoh:

The Grumpy Celt

Banned
Banned
I gotta say I'm on the side of the Alliance on this one. Wipe out a planet or two, create a horde of choatic evil people-eaters, what ever it takes to kick down the hippies, the peace-niks and so forth and create some order in the universe. No sacrifice is too great for order. And it should have been a TPK.

dravot

First Post
Unrelated musing...how far gone are the Reavers? They can operate spacecraft, but how good is their maintenance? Lack of maintenance will kill them sooner rather than later, I'd think. Do they just hop from ship to ship when they capture them?

Palantir

First Post
Saw it, loved it, seeing it again

I was very happy with the movie overall.

As for Joss killing characters... while I know that Mr. Whedon has no problem with killing off main characters, I think that, in this case, it was more that Alan had other projects and couldn't (or wouldn't) guarantee that he would be available for the filming of other movies. I found it interesting that the two characters that were killed off were Book (Glass was never a big sci-fi fan, and (I think) wasn't particularly attached to this project) and Wash (Tudyk probably more movie credits than any of the cast, including I, Robot last year).

As for looting Miranda... Mal had Serenity rebuilt at the end of the movie. I was in shock over Wash and all, but even through that, I was thinking, "Where did Mal get the money to rebuild his ship?" Maybe Mr. Universe had some old ships laying around that were scavenged? Or maybe there were some Miranda trinkets that were traded... ;)

I also found it odd that Zoe was the one to break ranks in the final fight with the Reavers. While she did undergo a deep and immediate trauma, she was also the only hardened military veteran of the Unification War on the line. I would have expected one of the less disciplined members of the crew to break a defensive position first. And did anyone else think about what the Reavers must have done to poor Wash's body once the crew abandoned Serenity? *shivers*

Question I had with the Reavers... if they were caused by the drug that was administered, does that mean that their offspring (children born off-world) would NOT be Reavers? Is this a society that will be dead when the last of the children that were on Miranda die?

Those are my observations. Mostly though, I watched in rapt glee as Mr. Whedon brought me one more installment of my favorite BDHs. Serenity, while a bit glitzier, still felt like the rundown home we had all come to know and love throughout the series. My knowledge of the crew from the series only enhanced my enjoyment of the movie, and I eagerly await the next movie (which I promise to watch at least three times in the theater and buy on DVD too). :)

Mr. Whedon, if you are reading this, thank you so much for writing a movie for the fans. The plot was wonderful, the characters wonderfully flawed, three-dimensional, and real, and your efforts are very much appreciated. As much as you can, please try not to be hurt or dismayed by the occasional negative review... it's much harder to create than it is to destroy, and those critics haven't created anything to make me give them any respect. They just have a big microphone. Serenity, just like Firefly, is clearly a labor of love, and us Browncoats appreciate your labor. Thank you.

See you in the world.

-Palantir

Last edited:

Pielorinho

Iron Fist of Pelor
Palantir said:
I also found it odd that Zoe was the one to break ranks in the final fight with the Reavers. While she did undergo a deep and immediate trauma, she was also the only hardened military veteran of the Unification War on the line. I would have expected one of the less disciplined members of the crew to break a defensive position first.
I sort of thought that was the point: Zoe was so devastated by Wash's death that she defied her military training. Very, very few things could make her do this. Even watching her husband being tortured by Niska couldn't make her do this.

Daniel

Rackhir

Explorer
Palantir said:
And did anyone else think about what the Reavers must have done to poor Wash's body once the crew abandoned Serenity? *shivers*

Probably not much. The Reavers seemed to loose interest pretty quick in the farmboy when Mel killed him at the begining of the movie. It was made quite clear (I thought) that they were only interested in LIVING prey.

Dravot said:
Unrelated musing...how far gone are the Reavers? They can operate spacecraft, but how good is their maintenance? Lack of maintenance will kill them sooner rather than later, I'd think. Do they just hop from ship to ship when they capture them?

This is what bothered me the most about the Reavers as presented. Space is an extremely harsh and unforgiving terrain. Any sort of atmospheric reentry is even more unforgiving. Flawed or inadiquate maintainance tends to be immediately lethal.

Larry Niven in his known space books, had people from earth looked upon almost as children after a fashion, because they were from a planet and enviroment that wouldn't kill you if the littlest thing went wrong. Thus they didn't have the innate caution that helped keep you alive when you were in places less suited to man.

Henry

Autoexreginated
Palantir said:
Question I had with the Reavers... if they were caused by the drug that was administered, does that mean that their offspring (children born off-world) would NOT be Reavers? Is this a society that will be dead when the last of the children that were on Miranda die?

Remember from the TV series how they make new Reavers... they pick a small percentage of people from the ships they take, and drive 'em crazy - make them watch the rapes, the torture, subject them to the same, and (I guess) then turn them loose to do some of it themselves, to foster bonding. (Cue "Stockholm syndrome," military basic training, etc.) The first Reavers were drugged psychotic loons, but that doesn't mean they don't think. ;) and the second-gen Reavers are just brainwashed inductees.

Remove ads