• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

superhero RPG

Voneth

First Post
Trellian:

To help you make your choice, there are some preview stuff out for some of the game mentioned.

4CTF had a preview sample of their power rules a while back, it may be archived here somewhere.

I also know that Green Ronin also had a 4 page .pdf that allowed you to have two sample characters "fight."

baseballfury

First Post
I must agree with the majority here: Mutants & Masterminds rules.

The Freedom City sourcebook has apparently been sighted in stores. I look forward to picking it up this week after I get paid.

NeuroZombie

Explorer
If you want straight out supers and do not want to use any other d20 materials, go for MnM. If you want to be able to use other d20 books for support info, go for Deeds not Words

s/LaSH

First Post
I've just recieved M&M and Silver Age Sentinels (thanks, d20 Magazine Rack! Competitions rock!). From what I've read so far, SAS is closer to D&D (not 100% identical, but what it changes makes sense and it still has hit points), and comes with a neat chunk of setting. M&M seems a little more well-defined, and would probably be more fun to play (haven't done so yet, but I'm itching to get into it); despite being half the size of the SAS rulebook, I think it's just as good, despite the point deductions for no included setting or much default compatibility with other d20 products (and you can tweak that anyway, but who wants hit points in a supers game?).

Hm. M&M has feats but no hit points. SAS has hit points but no feats. That's... an interesting piece of trivia.

Kichwas

Half-breed, still living despite WotC racism
I did an extensive review of MnM vs. SaS (tri-stat) here:

http://www.rpg.net/reviews/archive/9/9183.phtml
You can extract some angles of SaS d20 from that, such as how the powers are going to work.

In a choice between MnM and SaS-d20, I would say go with MnM.

I have Freedom City also, and it is downright amazing.

If you're near San Francisco and looking for a game, I have two slots open at my table. :D

Albert_Fish

First Post
Well i have M&M it is very nice. I dont like the lay out ( a little confusing).
But i still prefer Godlike ( though its support is spotty). it is not a pure D20 product nor a cinimatic game. It has D20 conversion rules inthe back ( pretty good in my opinion). Its a game based on World war II super Heroes. Check it out at www.godlikerpg.com

batman8405

First Post
Personally (and we've seen this debate before), for a more authentic d20 experience at the power levels you mentioned, I honestly think Deeds Not Words is your best bet. If you don't mind some real departures form the d20 system, you might want to look at M&M.

I run a DNW game and it's played beautifully. It has no problem tackling variable power levels, and it has a familiar feel due to it's closeness to the d20 system. Just one GM's opinion.

P.S. DNW is a .pdf download and pretty darn cheap.

Neo

Explorer
Well just to add my 2 cents

M&M is my favourite, though I also really like DNW and Vig, though I think the most versatile is M&M.

Remove ads