• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Supernatural Season 4 - Spoilers

D.Shaffer

First Post
Well, Season 4 premiered last night.

They've dealt with Dean's lack of belief before, so this was an interesting turn of events. Having 'The other side' show up was new, nand I cant wait to see how that plot ends up. Heck, can angels lie? What's it mean if they can? What's it mean if they CANT and he's telling the truth, why havent they gotten involved more directly earlier. Whole can of worms opened involving this.

Nice to see Ruby is back too, although with a different actress. Sam's got some explaining to do too.

Crothian

First Post
Of course it doesn't have to be an angel. :D

I really liked the episode and it has a lot of set up for the season and at the same time a good amount of pay off.

Brown Jenkin

First Post
I've been wondering where the bloody angels were since season 1.

Bloody does seem the right word.:)

I was blown away by the episode. I would give it a 9.5 out of 10. The half point deduction is the recasting of Ruby. Not that I mind Ruby being recast, but the choice of actress is what I am dissapointed in.

I have much more to discuss on speculate about but it will take a bit to get all my thoughts together on this.

Crothian

First Post
They had to recast her the old body was dead. I'm holding my judgement on the new Ruby for a little while to see more of her.

Brown Jenkin

First Post
The problem I have with the new Ruby is the actress, not the recasting part. The old Ruby had a a cockyness and swagger about her that came off very well onscreen. There was a charisma about her that just made me like her from the first time I saw her. The new actress came off more as shy and manipulative. Not that the old ruby wasn't manipulative, but it wasn't the Mr. Burns hand wringing "Excelent" manipulative feel that the new ruby gave off. The old Ruby schemed, but at the same time knew how to come off as friendly at the same time. For comparison, in this episode I think the psychic would have been a better casting for Ruby since she also had that same charisma as the old Ruby.

Don't let my complaint be too loud though, since as I said it was a 9.5/10 otherwise I had no complaints.

Brown Jenkin

First Post
OK, the big question after this episode is who is Castiel and what does he really want with Dean? He is able to go to hell and pull dean out which must take some work. He is immune to all known mortal wards and enchantments. He can posses bodies, and he doesn’t seem to fear the lower level demons (As we learned last season, humans in hell turn into low level demons like Ruby). He has shadows of feather wings. He can put people to sleep by touching them. He claims few can handle seeing his true form or hearing his true voice. Those who have seen him had have had their eyes melted out of their heads, and when he speaks he turns on electronics then sends a blast wave that shatters all glass and temporarily causes extreme pain in ones ears. He claims to be an angel sent by God to rescue Dean.

This is one bad mofo that no one would want to deal with. So what does this tell us about the world?

One option is that he is lying and the existing worldview remains the same. He really is a major demon lord like they first thought. Like Lilith there are many demon lords who have great powers. It was implied that Lilith can’t be stopped by the same things that would take out lesser demons. In addition to Lilith there was the Yellow Eyed Demon who also more powerful than others. Who says Castiel (besides Castiel himself) isn’t just another demon lord making his own power play. Both Yellow Eyes and Lilith have gone about things differently, why can’t Castiel also be trying another track. So far he has shown little respect for humans.

The other option is that he is telling the truth. In addition to demons there are the counterparts which are angels. These aren’t your Touched by an Angel angels though. These are your Fallen or The Prophesy angels. These angels don’t seem to care about humans. This leads to other questions. Are the demon lords like Lilith and Yellow Eyes fallen angels from Lucifer’s rebellion? If so is Sam a Nephilim, is that where his powers come from, is that why Yellow Eyes was trying to get him to lead his army? Has God decided that Sam the Nephilim needs to be stopped (Maybe because Ruby is corrupting him) and Dean is the one to stop him? Maybe God still doesn’t like Nephilim in general since he killed them all in the flood? Are Nephilim even more powerful than Angels? What about the other gods (Like The Trickster and the Scandinavian Harvest god) they have run into, where do they fit into this picture?

Lots of questions here for the season to explore. By the way, Supernatural has been good about checking mythology before incorporating it into the show. Does anyone here know anything about the real world name Castiel and if there is any possible connection to the story?

phoenixgod2000

First Post
Lots of questions here for the season to explore. By the way, Supernatural has been good about checking mythology before incorporating it into the show. Does anyone here know anything about the real world name Castiel and if there is any possible connection to the story?

Castiel is the Angel in charge of watching over Thursdays :)

And I have to say that the actor they got to play the Angel was awesome and I hope they keep him for the duration of the season. Reasuring, creepy, and compelling, all at the same time.

Ruby, not so much. Although I think that she was so subdued because she has been made into an ordinary human again. That is why Sam is willing to work with her. She's not the demon she used to be.

frankthedm

First Post
Castiel is the Angel in charge of watching over Thursdays :)
Little bit of 4th wall humor for the 4th season.;)
I've been wondering where the bloody angels were since season 1.
Some folks just assumed Supernatural followed this trope: Devil But No God - Television Tropes & Idioms.
Of course it doesn't have to be an angel. :D
No, there are some other possibilities. Though someone on Supernatural - Television Tropes & Idioms indicates
Casteil is Legit
The problem I have with the new Ruby is the actress, not the recasting part. The old Ruby had a a cockyness and swagger about her that came off very well onscreen. There was a charisma about her that just made me like her from the first time I saw her. The new actress came off more as shy and manipulative. Not that the old ruby wasn't manipulative, but it wasn't the Mr. Burns hand wringing "Excelent" manipulative feel that the new ruby gave off. The old Ruby schemed, but at the same time knew how to come off as friendly at the same time. For comparison, in this episode I think the psychic would have been a better casting for Ruby since she also had that same charisma as the old Ruby.
I agree on most of that. I kinda wonder if there were any behind the scenes "casting issues" going on. But regardless, is sure feels like Ruby got Refrigeratored.
This is one bad mofo that no one would want to deal with. So what does this tell us about the world? ...why haven't they gotten involved more directly earlier.
Folks wonder about that in real life, so don't be too surprised if the show does not answer it.:angel:

Remove ads