Support the OGL v1.0a; sign this change.org petition

Two decades ago I helped create the Open Gaming License which helped save Dungeons & Dragons. Today that license is at risk of being changed by Hasbro and Wizards of the Coast. I am hoping that a coordinated response by the community might make them reconsider their plans. Please join me in signing this petition on change.org. The more people who sign, the more visible this effort will become...

Two decades ago I helped create the Open Gaming License which helped save Dungeons & Dragons. Today that license is at risk of being changed by Hasbro and Wizards of the Coast. I am hoping that a coordinated response by the community might make them reconsider their plans.

Please join me in signing this petition on change.org. The more people who sign, the more visible this effort will become and the more likely we will have an impact on the decisions being made by Hasbro.

I believe time is of the essence. An announcement of their plans may happen today, Thursday the 12th of January. If you are inclined, please sign the petition now.

Thank you for your support!

Ryan S. Dancey

Ryan S. Dancey

Ryan S. Dancey

OGL Architect

Mike Myler

Have you been to LevelUp5E.com yet?
Signed
skull goblet.png

Iamoutofhere

Explorer
Well, I signed. Frankly though, even if they backtrack I don’t care…they’ll have to go some way to get my dollar again. I have dozens of cool fantasy games I can play that in many ways are superior anyway.

RyanD

Adventurer
I believe there are people inside Hasbro who stand against these changes and want to stop this process. This petition is designed to help give them ammo in their internal fights and possibly to raise visibility with important shareholders and other stakeholders who can influence Hasbro's policies who might not otherwise be engaged.

guachi

Hero
Yeah, this is all I have, since I have never held a paid subscription to DBB to cancel, and I doubt my not buying a WotC book in the future will have immediate impact where it counts now.
I deleted my DDB account. Don't have a subscription but it's the best I could do. I put in the comments I was deleting because of the potential OGL.

Last edited:

mightyrocket

Villager
I deleted my DDB account. Don't have a subscription but it's the best I could do. I put in the comments I read deleting because of the potential OGL.
Same. I've had a DDB account for a while and a paid subscription for a short time. I had purchased about $100 worth of material just to make a character for my son's game. Anyways, I deleted the account. Left a comment citing the OGL shenanigans.

mightyrocket

Villager
I don't post often so please forgive me if this is not the correct place for this. But, it would be interesting to hear more about the creation on the original OGL in the 2000s. Were lawyers involved in the creation? Why wasn't the word "irrevocable" included in the license? It's easy to look back now and ask these questions and I'm not trying to be critical. I'd just genuinely be interested hearing about what went into making the OGL possible and the decisions that were made.

RyanD

Adventurer
I don't post often so please forgive me if this is not the correct place for this. But, it would be interesting to hear more about the creation on the original OGL in the 2000s. Were lawyers involved in the creation? Why wasn't the word "irrevocable" included in the license? It's easy to look back now and ask these questions and I'm not trying to be critical. I'd just genuinely be interested hearing about what went into making the OGL possible and the decisions that were made.
I think you'll find most of your questions answered here!

Serious question- what percentage of change.org petitions ever did anything?

I feel like I've seen a lot of change petitions, and not a lot of change.
Hi Eyore! who can say? but c’mon its Ryan Dancey, chief author of the OGL, and former VP of WOTC / D&D Brand Manager. its not hard to imagine that the execs who currently hold those titles may take note, or pause.

in any case, i prefer action to moping.

Remove ads

Remove ads