Support the OGL v1.0a; sign this change.org petition

Two decades ago I helped create the Open Gaming License which helped save Dungeons & Dragons. Today that license is at risk of being changed by Hasbro and Wizards of the Coast. I am hoping that a coordinated response by the community might make them reconsider their plans. Please join me in signing this petition on change.org. The more people who sign, the more visible this effort will become...

Two decades ago I helped create the Open Gaming License which helped save Dungeons & Dragons. Today that license is at risk of being changed by Hasbro and Wizards of the Coast. I am hoping that a coordinated response by the community might make them reconsider their plans.

Please join me in signing this petition on change.org. The more people who sign, the more visible this effort will become and the more likely we will have an impact on the decisions being made by Hasbro.

I believe time is of the essence. An announcement of their plans may happen today, Thursday the 12th of January. If you are inclined, please sign the petition now.

Thank you for your support!

Ryan S. Dancey

Ryan S. Dancey

Ryan S. Dancey

OGL Architect

...I have to admit it's very difficult to get over my cynicism about the utter irrelevance of change.org to, well, anything.
Hi Eyore! who can say? but c’mon its Ryan Dancey, chief author of the OGL, and former VP of WOTC / D&D Brand Manager. its not hard to imagine that the execs who currently hold those titles may take note, or pause.

in any case, i prefer action to moping.

Snarf Zagyg

Notorious Liquefactionist
Hi Eyore! who can say? but c’mon its Ryan Dancey, chief author of the OGL, and former VP of WOTC / D&D Brand Manager. its not hard to imagine that the execs who currently hold those titles may take note, or pause.

in any case, i prefer action to moping.

Well, I didn't want to say this, but ... the fact that it was Ryan Dancey actually (IMO) makes it worse.

While I appreciate everything that Ryan Dancey has done, and continue to say that shepherding the OGL did the whole community a solid ... I'm not sure that he's the best person to have started the petition? He hasn't worked there since 2002. He's spent that time, since then, working with their competitor (Paizo). He is on record as being loudly in support of something that they don't want- and would certainly be an adverse witness to them in litigation. And, oh yeah, he's the COO of a competitor of WoTC right now.

So I think that of the many people they might listen to ... I can't imagine he's one.

Nilbog

Snotling Herder
Well, I didn't want to say this, but ... the fact that it was Ryan Dancey actually (IMO) makes it worse.

While I appreciate everything that Ryan Dancey has done, and continue to say that shepherding the OGL did the whole community a solid ... I'm not sure that he's the best person to have started the petition? He hasn't worked there since 2002. He's spent that time, since then, working with their competitor (Paizo). He is on record as being loudly in support of something that they don't want- and would certainly be an adverse witness to them in litigation. And, oh yeah, he's the COO of a competitor of WoTC right now.

So I think that of the many people they might listen to ... I can't imagine he's one.

But they will listen to numbers, and if Ryan can act as a focal point and get those people to sign, then hopefully that will make a difference

Wow, you really live up to your snarfy name!

Snarf Zagyg

But they will listen to numbers, and if Ryan can act as a focal point and get those people to sign, then hopefully that will make a difference

I ... doubt it. Again, if signing it makes you feel better, more power to you! But signing stuff on the internet really isn't good for actual change.

Cancel your D&D Beyond Subscription. Write a letter (or call, or otherwise contact) WoTC and Hasbro directly. Boycott their products if you want. That might make a difference.

Art Waring

halozix.com

If you didn't want to say it, then why did you?

You have essentially just confirmed that you have a less than positive opinion of Ryan Dancey, what are you doing in this thread? This may not affect you, but please allow those who it does effect to have a chance at doing something, even a petition can help.

Snarf Zagyg

You have essentially just confirmed that you have a less than positive opinion of Ryan Dancey, what are you doing in this thread? This may not affect you, put please allow those who it does effect to have a chance at doing something, even a petition can help.

Seriously ... did you actually read what I wrote? I understand that things are getting as little heated, but here-

I appreciate everything that Ryan Dancey has done, and continue to say that shepherding the OGL did the whole community a solid.

In fact, you will see that I've written similar laudatory things in other threads. I was writing about why Hasbro is unlikely to listen to him.

If you consider everyone to be your enemy, and number me among them, keep going.

Remove ads

Remove ads