Surprise for my group

Vymair

First Post
Having Hjorimir as my friend and one of my DMs is a true blessing. This incredible map is just the latest spectacular example of the time and effort he spends on his campaign.

Last edited:

cooperjer

Explorer
That is a cool looking map. As an alternate to prints on gloss paper consider prints on cloth. I've printed several maps on cloth at about $25 per yard x 42" in wide. I find the maps are easily transported to the game location because they can be folded up and stored with my books. In addition, there are fabric markers available that can be used to write on the cloth. The marker color fades or vanishes after getting wet. Search for "custom fabric printing" to find several suggestions. I like to use Spoonflower.com. The drawback to Spoonflower.com is that it has a 40MB max upload size the last time I used them. This works okay with some maps, but other maps were just too large and needed to use an alternate source without a file size limit, DesignYourFabric.com. They didn't have a file size limit, but there costs are much more expensive since they are shipping from Canada.

Hjorimir

Adventurer
That is a cool looking map. As an alternate to prints on gloss paper consider prints on cloth. I've printed several maps on cloth at about $25 per yard x 42" in wide. I find the maps are easily transported to the game location because they can be folded up and stored with my books. In addition, there are fabric markers available that can be used to write on the cloth. The marker color fades or vanishes after getting wet. Search for "custom fabric printing" to find several suggestions. I like to use Spoonflower.com. The drawback to Spoonflower.com is that it has a 40MB max upload size the last time I used them. This works okay with some maps, but other maps were just too large and needed to use an alternate source without a file size limit, DesignYourFabric.com. They didn't have a file size limit, but there costs are much more expensive since they are shipping from Canada.

That sounds really interesting. Do you have any pictures of a cloth map? I'd especially like to see some close-ups of some of the smaller map elements (e.g. town and city names, and so forth). Thanks for sharing!

Eltab

Lord of the Hidden Layer
That. Map. Is. Awesome.

Your group is blessed, whether they know it or not.
And my one character who is proficient with Cartographer's Tools is JEALOUS.

Hjorimir

Adventurer
That. Map. Is. Awesome.

Your group is blessed, whether they know it or not.
And my one character who is proficient with Cartographer's Tools is JEALOUS.

Very kind of you to say. I'm blessed too as a DM. It's wonderful running a game for your friends and family.

MNblockhead

A Title Much Cooler Than Anything on the Old Site
Wow, I should try this. I commissioned someone to create the final version of my world map and I printed it on a large format printer I have access to, but the colors are dull and it just doesn't look anywhere as near as good printed as it does on when I display it on a large-screen display.

I think I'll try the Vista Print with a glossy finish.

Also, Cooperjer, thanks for the print-to-cloth tip. That would be great. It is one thing to a have poster-sized map on my wall, but it would be great to have a cloth map I can easily take to a game store or another person's home and lay out on the table. I'm concerned, however, that he colors would not be bright enough. My map already seems too dark as I printed it. I would hate to spend a lot of money and not be happy with it.

Antharias

First Post
Hjorimir, that is beautiful. I am busy fleshing out my cities and such in word form but lack any creativity when it comes to actually putting it down to visual format so +1 to all you have done for this and one day I do hope to do the same. Honestly, really jealous of your players right now and congratulations on doing such an amazing job. :)

Hjorimir

Adventurer
Hjorimir, that is beautiful. I am busy fleshing out my cities and such in word form but lack any creativity when it comes to actually putting it down to visual format so +1 to all you have done for this and one day I do hope to do the same. Honestly, really jealous of your players right now and congratulations on doing such an amazing job. :)

Thank you for the kind words, Antharias. Also, welcome to ENWorld!

cooperjer

Explorer
That sounds really interesting. Do you have any pictures of a cloth map? I'd especially like to see some close-ups of some of the smaller map elements (e.g. town and city names, and so forth). Thanks for sharing!

All of the images on the printed maps below have been purchased from Mike Shley's website for the Princes of the Apocalypse adventure. They were printed by either Spoonflower.com or by Designyourfabric.com at 300 dpi.

The Fane of the Eye
Fane of the Eye.jpg

The Black Geode
Black Geode.jpg

The aboleth fight
Aboleth Fight.jpg

Remove ads