• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Swashbuckler Rogues

corwyn77

Adventurer
How do people make use of the 9the level Panache ability. Out of combat, it's great. In combat, why do I want an opponent singling out my rogue?

It's a fairly situational ability. You're not going to want to use it every combat, but it's a handy tool to have in your back pocket.

It's good when you're trying to protect non-combatants or squishy allies. The complete inability to make opportunity attacks is particularly handy there - it means your squishy friends can Dash away without having to spend an action to disengage, and therefore probably get far enough away from a melee enemy that they can avoid getting attacked next round.

It can also be handy when you've got a damage immunity (racial or magical) and the bad guy is dealing that sort of damage. Or if you're a Small (or flying, or otherwise hard to reach) rogue and can basically give the bad guy disadvantage to attack all your friends while you stay safely out of reach.

To prevent them attacking squishier characters like wizards.

To get the best use out of it, you need to build your swashbuckler tanky - push up your AC and HP.
Or be very mobile. I have a human Swashbuckler that took magic initiate to get booming blade. So her actions are generally move semi-close, use panache on round one. Round 2, move up, use booming blade, then move away (taking advantage of the inability of the target to be able to use opportunity attacks) so the target has to either chase (and take booming blade damage) or engage someone else at disadvantage. Then rinse and repeat as needed.

corwyn77

Adventurer
Okay, so home stretch of the campaign and I need some optimization advice.

The game will end at level 13; My Swashbuckler'll have AC 20, about 85-ish hp, +1 weapon, no magic armour, Booming Blade, Boots of Speed. Due to the dm accidentally selling the legendary Sorceror focus basically for free, I'll have a legendary item to find in the last dungeon. I also have enough cash for a couple of Rare items. As well, I have a feat to take right now and one at level 12. What should I take?

I'm leaning toward Tough or Resilient Con (which would raise my save from 2 to 8 and give me 13 hit points. We've had few wis saves but several con saves in the penultimate dungeon in a canned campaign. I can take anything from an official Wizards book.

Okay, so home stretch of the campaign and I need some optimization advice.

The game will end at level 13; My Swashbuckler'll have AC 20, about 85-ish hp, +1 weapon, no magic armour, Booming Blade, Boots of Speed. Due to the dm accidentally selling the legendary Sorceror focus basically for free, I'll have a legendary item to find in the last dungeon. I also have enough cash for a couple of Rare items. As well, I have a feat to take right now and one at level 12. What should I take?

I'm leaning toward Tough or Resilient Con (which would raise my save from 2 to 8 and give me 13 hit points. We've had few wis saves but several con saves in the penultimate dungeon in a canned campaign. I can take anything from an official Wizards book.
What other feats/items do you have?

corwyn77

Adventurer
What other feats/items do you have?
The feat that gives me an extra skill and extra expertise. Magic items that give me darkvision 60', Gloves of Thievery, Boots of Spiderclimb (though I'm likely swapping them out for speed), Ring of Invisibility, and an item that lets me turn day into night for up to 24 hours. I'll have to make some hard choices with respect to attunement.

The feat that gives me an extra skill and extra expertise. Magic items that give me darkvision 60', Gloves of Thievery, Boots of Spiderclimb (though I'm likely swapping them out for speed), Ring of Invisibility, and an item that lets me turn day into night for up to 24 hours. I'll have to make some hard choices with respect to attunement.
let me think a bit and I'll give you some ideas

Remove ads