D&D 5E Swashbuckler

Lanliss

Explorer
No we are starting at level 1 and doing sunless citadel and probably forge of fury , then going back to our other campaign. We are doing yawning portal stuff while the DM refreshes himself in the Homebrew he does (Im a 10th level druid there)

lanliss I sent you a pm

Starting at 1st level, I wouldn't change a whole lot. I might play a little carefully, since base Rogue doesn't handle melee as well as Swashbuckler. Other than that, it would pretty much go how I had it above, unless a story opportunity presents itself for you to go Warlock early. Maybe a Patron that could help you, but you need to take the Deal now, not later.

I would also decide for sure if I am going to go Warlock, because your DM could slowly tie it into the story rather than it coming up all at once the day you decide to multiclass. Maybe the kind merchant and/or inn owner who has been grooming your party is actually an Otherworldly Patron in disguise, and sees a little something extra in you that he/she could use.

Lanliss

Explorer
Interestingly, one of the first things I thought of, cool to do with the UA swashbuckler, was a MC fighter/rogue pitfighter. Take the gladiator background, obviously.

Nice. Pretty much all of the Martial classes work well for a Pit fighter background, depending on the kind of pit fighter you are making. The guy who eats damage like cake, or the guy who throws sand into his foes eyes? The one who refuses all blades, preferring instead to feel bone crunch under his fist, or the guy who can use all of the weapons with near perfection? Pit fighters are just fun in general, especially when you add twists to the reason they are pit fighting. They like it, they're in debt, they own the pit and like to test their strength against the strongest people around? Possible nefarious reasons, like sacrificing the losers to some dark god? Always interesting.

Corwin

Explorer
Nice. Pretty much all of the Martial classes work well for a Pit fighter background, depending on the kind of pit fighter you are making. The guy who eats damage like cake, or the guy who throws sand into his foes eyes? The one who refuses all blades, preferring instead to feel bone crunch under his fist, or the guy who can use all of the weapons with near perfection? Pit fighters are just fun in general, especially when you add twists to the reason they are pit fighting. They like it, they're in debt, they own the pit and like to test their strength against the strongest people around? Possible nefarious reasons, like sacrificing the losers to some dark god? Always interesting.
I just think, mechanically, there are some neat synergies with fighter/swashbuckler that really resonates with a pit fighter concept. On the rogue side, you got the sneak attack while solo, and the charisma-based features for the flashy, crowd favorite stuff. On the fighter side, second wind, of course. And action surge for the epic finishing move.

Lanliss

Explorer
I just think, mechanically, there are some neat synergies with fighter/swashbuckler that really resonates with a pit fighter concept. On the rogue side, you got the sneak attack while solo, and the charisma-based features for the flashy, crowd favorite stuff. On the fighter side, second wind, of course. And action surge for the epic finishing move.

I had one player who made an Orc Lady-Knight. Swashbuckler+Champion, expertise in performance and a code of honor like the Knights of old stories (Since that is what made her decide to be a knight). Lady Magdalene was "adopted" by the noble family who her tribe was paid to protect. The adoption was merely official, since one was required to be "Noble" to be a knight. She specialized in 1-on-1 fights in the tourneys, essentially the Noble version of pit fighting.

Al2O3

Explorer
I'm playing a Half-elf Swashbuckler 5/Dragon sorcerer 1 in SKT. Started story at level 1, characters at level 3 (no new levels until we were in phase).

My character is a waterdhavian noble, aka rich and spoilt brat who loves to fence and adventures for fun.

At level 4 I increased Dex because my AC was a bit low and I missed too often.

I went with 14 Cha so I could avoid all negative modifiers. With Sorcerer at level 6 I took Shield, Feather fall, GFB, BB, prestidgitation and mage hand. I rally like moving in with rapier+BB, then dash out again. Our most tanky PC is a tempest Cleric, and 3/4 of the PCs have Booming Blade and Shield. Still, it is really nice to be mobile and do hit-and-run attacks with BB lockdown. Hunting down running enemies is nice too.

I don't read the level 3 feature as requiring the enemy to be within 5 feet of you. Therefore it is fully viable when needed to take out the light crossbow and work from range. Still not as much fun as working in melee (even before the cantrips).

If I didn't have Spellcaster envy I would've multiclassed fighter instead. A shield for AC and extra HP would've been nice. Instead I took dragon sorcerer for cantrips, Shield and natural armour on the level of mage armour. As dragon sorcerer I also didn't miss out on hit points compared to a class with a d8 hit die.

As for story it was fun to have my PC wake up hungover after a party, suddenly having scales on his body and complaining in draconic...

Sent from my Nexus 6 using EN World mobile app

Remove ads