D&D 5E Swashbuckler

ScaleyBob

Explorer
Well, nothing wrong wit having a skill that lets you bail as a backup.

Now that you have me thinking about it, I actually think Swashbuckler can work pretty well with a ranged character, with the right set up. A hand-crossbow as a weapon, and a rapier for if an enemy closes the distance. Hit with the rapier, bail for free, and bonus action dash to get out of the enemies reach. So, I can see where he is coming from. Congrats to him for thinking outside the box on that one.

It works very well when he does do that. He's got a Rapier for close work, a shortbow for long range, a Hand Crossbow and as it's a Wild West D&D game, several pistols for some Magic Bullets, and when making huge amounts of noise isn't an issue.

With his bonus action Dash it's amazing how much distance he can cover when he needs to. When he dashes normally as well, that's 18 squares of move. He's yet to have the Druid cast Haste on him yet, but that'll be fun when he finally does. When he isn't simply hiding in a corner and shooting he's become quite adept at getting in and out, all over the Battlefield.

Baldguy33

First Post
I defiantly want to get into melee and mix it up and then get out, having sneak attack nearly every swing is very appealing to me, very brash and cocky in what she does and how she does it is how I want to play her I'll shoot if needed but isn't my main goal. I want to stab and get out OR stab stab and get out lol. Now the even harder part for me........backstory. I've a couple ideas but putting it toget her is a struggle

Lanliss

Explorer
I defiantly want to get into melee and mix it up and then get out, having sneak attack nearly every swing is very appealing to me, very brash and cocky in what she does and how she does it is how I want to play her I'll shoot if needed but isn't my main goal. I want to stab and get out OR stab stab and get out lol. Now the even harder part for me........backstory. I've a couple ideas but putting it toget her is a struggle

Cocky in battle sounds like a life of fighting. Maybe she did a lot of Melee work (The old medieval Melee, meaning a bunch of people thrown into a ring and fighting in a massive free-for-all). Perhaps she was a pit fighter of some sort? Maybe she was just a damn good pick-pocket, and knew just how to twist to avoid the mark keeping a good grip on her?

The Melee option would be interesting in regards to her family. Did they support what she was doing? Did she leave them to go fight for money to support them? It also ties into an adventuring life. Maybe one of the people she beat was the son of a tyrant, and didn't much like losing. Luckily, she expected this and put up a fake name for the Melee, but now she can't properly return to her family until she deals with this problem, or she risks their lives.

Baldguy33

First Post
But thanks to everyone for the Discussion. Ive still not quite made up my mind as of yet. I may even just take magical Initate (Warlock or Wizard) I also have even Debated at level 5 Dipping into Warlock. Has anyone done this? Anyone got a step by step build on what they had done?

Lanliss

Explorer
But thanks to everyone for the Discussion. Ive still not quite made up my mind as of yet. I may even just take magical Initate (Warlock or Wizard) I also have even Debated at level 5 Dipping into Warlock. Has anyone done this? Anyone got a step by step build on what they had done?

My Warlock Swashbuckler was started at 6th level, so I didn't have to worry about building it much. I recommend Booming blade, as it is amazing for Bladelocks, if you land the hits. I wouldn't risk it on high AC targets, as multiple hits gives you a better chance to sneak attack, but lower enemies will have a lot of trouble. Booming Blade + Walk away will be awesome, and is actually what I will be doing every now and then for my guy since I just picked up BB myself. Next level I will be getting a second attack through the Invocation, so I will have even better melee damage on the turns I don't use Booming Blade.

As for a step-by-step build? I assume you are starting at 3rd level, otherwise you wouldn't already be a Swashbuckler. Personally, as soon as I got Swashbuckler I would be pushing Warlock. Pick the right spells and it can offset the lack of sneak attack damage, and waiting on the ASI. The Mage armor Invocation at 2nd level Warlock will be great, giving you a higher AC. If you want the Extra attack at 5th you will need to go Bladelock, which works great when you mix it with melee classes. You might consider your Patron, as there are some interesting choices. Fiend is really tempting, but not the only option by any means. If you are allowed to use UA, the total is 7 patrons. Pick the one that best fits your story in this case, or find the mechanics you like most and figure out a story for that patron.

Archfey gives an AoE frighten, allowing you to keep enemies off of you.

Great Old One is a little trickier, you will have to be creative to use the 1st level feature to your advantage. However, 6th level (if you go that far) will be great for a Rogue, though less so for a Swashbuckler who would be getting sneak attack anyway.

Fiend has all the classics, feeding on your fallen enemies, manipulating luck. A solid choice, if somewhat cliche.

Not much to Offer on Undying from SCAG, it has pretty focused benefits early on. Spare the Dying isn't bad though, if you find your friends going down often.

UA Undying Light has a much nicer feel to it, nicer in the literal sense of not being Bad. Positive Plane of existence and all that. Good for a more Story driven character, and gets +charisma to certain spells so make sure you pick enough spells that fit for you to get the bonus. However, not much of a bonus for Melee types, except for getting that +Cha on attacks with Green Flame Blade ( I wonder if your DM would let you add your Charisma to the second target? Something you would need to bring up, if you go that route.)

UA Hexblade was made to be for Melee/Magic people, and it meshes pretty well with Melee classes. If you go this route, you can actually dump dexterity as a Swashbuckler since Hexblade gets +Cha to hits with one-handed weapons. You might talk to your DM about changing the Cursebringer from a Greatsword into a Silver Cutlass or Short sword, to better fit your character. Additionally, the crit on 19/20 against Cursed targets is pretty nice for a Rouge who does a lot of sneak attacks.

UA Raven Queen. Hmm, I never actually looked into this one. I don't remember there being much that would help a Swashbuckler though.

That is my 2cp. I don't have any experience with the other two pacts, so I can't help with what you should do if you decide to go Tome or Chain.

Baldguy33

First Post
No we are starting at level 1 and doing sunless citadel and probably forge of fury , then going back to our other campaign. We are doing yawning portal stuff while the DM refreshes himself in the Homebrew he does (Im a 10th level druid there)

lanliss I sent you a pm

Satyrn

First Post
Decided to make a Swashbuckler rogue for a upcoming campaign, and I really cant decide if Dual Wield feat is worth it or not OR if a different feat might be better? current stats are 8 16 14 8 10 16

Ive also debated on going Half elf instead

Anyone have any sugestions? Anyone played or is currently playing one?

Please give a bit of advice
I haven't taken the Dual Wield feat yet for my swashbuckling, two weapon fighting gnome battlemaster. Not only does it not seem worth it compared to just upping my Dex (which I didn't do, either), it doesn't add anything new to what the character can do and so just feels boring to me.

I do not miss out on not getting to wield rapiers, the extra little damage I'd get to deal hasn't been missed and I'm pretty sure I'll never be taking Dual Wield over anything else - and I took an arguably weaker feat instead (Martial Adept).

So my advice is take a different feat or a different race. Dual Wield is not needed at all.

Baldguy33

First Post
Sounds fun! Ya I don't think imma take DW feat at level 1 it just dosent seem worth it. What im gonna take im not sure LOL. I may go 3 levels in rogue then dip Warlock. I don't even know if ill be Variant Human ..I may go half Elf

Satyrn

First Post
Sounds fun! Ya I don't think imma take DW feat at level 1 it just dosent seem worth it. What im gonna take im not sure LOL. I may go 3 levels in rogue then dip Warlock. I don't even know if ill be Variant Human ..I may go half Elf

Pick your race randomly!

(It's how I wound up playing a forest gnome)

Remove ads