• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Swashbuckling Movie Suggestions?

pawned79

First Post
My friends and I want to play a swashbuckling campain. We are also HUGE movie buffs. I would like to compile a list of swashbuckling movies. Any suggestions? Off the top of my head:

Errol Flynn's Robin Hood
Robin Hood: Men in Tights
The Princess Bride

Thanks for all your help.

Patrick

The recent Count of Monte Cristo starring Guy Pearce is excellent (a bit late in the period though).

Also, there are numerous French period films that are first rate (if you don't mind subtitles). My suggestions are:

Ridicule
D'Artangan's Daughter
Cyrano De Bergerac (the Gerard Depardieu version): this one is expecially good because it shows both military and civillian combat for the period.

barsoomcore

Unattainable Ideal
Well, you can't leave out

The Crimson Pirate (Burt Lancaster, 1952)
Captain Blood (Errol Flynn, 1935)
Scaramouche (Stewart Granger, 1952)

Of course, to really GET swashbuckling you have to READ swashbuckling.

The Three Musketeers, Alexandre Dumas

You just can't go wrong with Dumas. Honestly. But if you're looking for someone with slightly more modern sensibilities, try Steven Brust's brilliant novels

The Phoenix Guard
Five Hundred Years After
The Paths of the Dead

You'll be glad you did.

ColonelHardisson

What? Me Worry?
The 1974 version of the Three Musketeers, starring, among others, Michael York, Oliver Reed, Charlton Heston, and Raquel Welch, is the definitive version, in my opinion.

Terry Gilliam's Adventures of Baron Munchausen is also a fun movie, with a swashbuckling attitude, but very, very fanciful.

I liked the recent Count of Monte Cristo quite a bit. I thought it was a genuinely good film. A bit dark in tone, though.

Hawkeye

First Post
The various Zorro movies and TV shows, including the humorous Zorro, the Gay Blade. Scarlet Pimpernel and Jachaimo (sp?).

Hawkeye

jemkym

First Post
Try:

Robin Hood: Prince of Thieves (starrring Kevin Costner)

The Mummy & The Mummy Returns (starring Brendan Fraser)

Cut-throat Island (starring Geena Davis)

The Three Musketeers (starring Kiefer Sutherland, et al.)

Romancing the Stone (starring Michael Douglas/Kathleen Turner), for a modern version

Ron

Explorer
I second Scaramouch, which sports the longest sword duel in cinema. A great movie in all accounts. I just brought The Duelists' DVD, the first feature by Riddley Scoot starring Harvey Keitel and Keith Carridine as two duelling addicted Napoleon's officers. It is not a real swashbucking movie but includes the best realistic sword fights in movies.

However, if you're looking for swashbucking, get Dumás' Three Musketeers. I just did it and it is great.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads