• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Sword Coast Legends is not D&D

Ahrimon

Bourbon and Dice
Yes, I know. The problems is that I live in Japan and most of those games are with people from the USA or Canada. That makes joining one of those games quite difficult because we are in very different time zones...

Still I'd love to try someday.

If you are anywhere near a US base you can find americans there to play. It's harder, but you might be able to find some online to play too.

Lanliss

Explorer
For what it's worth, I think X-COM would be perfect for dnd. It already has a class system, and a movement system that would be perfect for the speed system of dnd. It has AOE weapons that can be reskinned to be the various spells. I now find my self hoping for this, even though it may never happen.

trancejeremy

Adventurer
For what it's worth, I think X-COM would be perfect for dnd. It already has a class system, and a movement system that would be perfect for the speed system of dnd. It has AOE weapons that can be reskinned to be the various spells. I now find my self hoping for this, even though it may never happen.

There was a game for the Playstation Portable called D&D Tactics. It was essentially like X-com

Lanliss

Explorer
That might be enough for me to get a psp. I know basically nothing about video game making/modding. Would it be difficult to make a full mod for XCOM to make it dnd? Would need a melee mechanic(do not believe com had melee, but might be wrong).

Also, as far as the reactions go some people complained it would be annoying to cycle through everyone saying yes or no to the chance. I think this could be handled by having ranges set. So if two fighters are next to each other, one could react to an enemy attacking the other, if the enemy is in melee range, but if the enemy is out of range(like on the exact opposite side) a reaction is impossible.

I think I might be turning this into a discussion for a different thread.

Tia Nadiezja

First Post
I was rather disappointed by that too... I was hoping to see the subclass system implemented; instead we got this weird skill tree system that's just baffling.

Actually... subclasses were the big 5e innovation I was looking forward to playing about with in a video game.

gyor

Legend
Its a shame that there is still no good D&D games that feel like they're repective editions since NWN2, the last D&D game out there that actually felt like D&D and worth actually playing.

I wonder if it possible to create a 5e mod for NWN2?

DaveDash

Explorer
I am a computer gamer AND D&D player. I enjoy games like Diablo for what they're worth.

However I am disappointed in this game. It was advertised as a D&D game, and while I can understand changing some things to make it more MP/CRPG friendly, this game is basically a mix of Diablo and Divinity Original Sin.

No standard D&D skills. No skill checks. Very limited DM control. Quite hard to play with less than four players because of the way scaling seems to work.

This was advertised as a game that could be a digital TTRPG but it's nothing like it - at all.

There are better CRPG single player games and better CRPG multiplayer games. Even NWN with a DM offers a much better TTRPG experience than this.

It may get better over time, we'll see, but I think there are fundamental assumptions in the game that will prevent it from ever being great.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads