• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Sword Coast Legends is not D&D

Dargrimm

First Post
I'm not sure if this post belong here but...

After seeing tons of videos about the game (specially the character creation videos) I must say that I am totally disappointed about the game. It is nothing like D&D. I was expecting an experience similar to Baldur's Gate and Neverwinter Nights rule wise and what I found was a Diablo clone...

I already preordered and won't get a refund from Steam. I'll wait until I play the completed game, but so far I'm totally disappointed :.-(

Sacrosanct

Legend
Keep in mind that the game is designed to be played real time multiplayer. THat means no real pausing and turns like in a tabletop. And that of course means cool down times rather than short/long rest recovery.

Sorry to hear that it didn't meet your expectations, but really that's the only way of going about it

I'm A Banana

Potassium-Rich
I'm not sure if this post belong here but...

After seeing tons of videos about the game (specially the character creation videos) I must say that I am totally disappointed about the game. It is nothing like D&D. I was expecting an experience similar to Baldur's Gate and Neverwinter Nights rule wise and what I found was a Diablo clone...

I already preordered and won't get a refund from Steam. I'll wait until I play the completed game, but so far I'm totally disappointed :.-(

No joke, if you're looking for a BG/NWN experience, go with Pillars of Eternity. It is that kind of game.

Bal Sofs Tihl

First Post
Yeah, if they're looking for a game to re-skin as D&D, the game they are looking for is X-COM. Single player could have you controlling the entire party, with multiplayer allowing each person to control a single character or multiple characters together as they work through the campaign. Throw in a map/campaign editor and, if they're feeling really froggy, a capacity for a player to actively play as the DM, controlling the enemies and making on-the-fly modifications. I don't know, I really feel like it shouldn't be that difficult...

Scorpio616

First Post
Oh I think the early previews showed the bosses have better HP than 4E solos so those paying attention were warned already.

But wasn't it proven by folks going through the game code that even the BG and NW games actually use a completely different random number calculation than an actual 1 to 20 for to-hit and saves, invalidating any claim the games were using the D&D rulesets?

Last edited:

Dargrimm

First Post
Why won't you get a refund from Steam? Steam put in a refund policy months ago.

Because I surpassed the 2-hour limit for a refund. I spent all weekend trying to play the Head Start but the game *always* hanged indefinitely when I try to start a game until I was forced to force quit the game, but the Steam clock continued counting anyway so even if I was't able to play a single second it shows that I've been playing for over two hours. So no refund for me.

Anyway I don't want to cancel the preorder and get a refund. I think the game is going to be fun and all *but* I'm disappointed because it is not the D&D experience I was expecting. It is just a Diablo-esque game with a D&D costume. (And I love Diablo, don't get me wrong)

There is no pen-and-paper D&D for me because there is no one around here who plays it. In fact the last time I've got to play D&D was like twenty years ago with AD&D 2ed. Since then I haven't found anyone, so video games are my only valve of scape for my D&D cravings. BG and NWN did a wonderful job and I was very excited about Sword Coast Legends because I thought it was going to be similar to those games but I was wrong.

I'd say none of the video games are like real D&D. Even Baldur's Gate... the battle system alone makes it feels so much less like normal D&D. A real D&D game should be turn-based.

Remove ads