D&D 5E D&D Beyond Offers A Free Baldur's Gate Gazetteer

A sizable lore-based gazetteer with some rules content.

638254794193165644.jpeg

In Baldur’s Gate, thievery, blackmail, and illegal trade runs rampant. Now you can journey to this dangerous city of the Sword Coast with the Baldur’s Gate Gazetteer. Learn about each of the city’s districts and key locations and people, and unlock backgrounds for your next Baldurian character!

The Gazetter includes:
  • History of Baldur's Gate
  • Baldur's Gate Today
  • Government
  • Citizenry
  • Economy and Trade
  • Religion
  • Dangers in Baldur's Gate
  • City Landmarks
  • Upper City
  • Lower City
  • Outer City
  • Beyond Baldur's Gate
  • Baldur's Gate Character Backgrounds
  • Dark Secrets
The Gazetteer is quite sizable, and mainly lore-based, with two new NPC stat blocks (Nine-Fingers Keene, and Rilasa Real), some random encounter tables, and information on how the regular D&D character backgrounds fit in. There's also a new background, the Faceless. Finally there are some rules about 'Dark Secrets' which are a background element which the party shares.

Nice! I was hoping they would do that like they did with the Waterdeep gazetteer from Dragon Heist.
If I recall, they released the Waterdeep gazetteer chapter as an Extra Life charity tie-in at one point, so that may be part of why they haven't done so, at least presently - can't exactly sell it to raise money for charity if you're giving it away for free.

But assuming this isn't just a one off due to BG3 raising interest in the locale, I wouldn't be surprised if they start doing more of this going forward. It isn't the first time, either. They released the city gazetteer for Radiant Citadel as a free preview chapter as well.

Last edited:

Remove ads

Remove ads