Sword Coast Legends Survey; Plus Ranger Feedback Results!

Interesting stuff on the ranger. But a whole survey on Sword Coast Legends. Hm. I don't even know what it is, really. And said as much when I answered.

Interesting stuff on the ranger.

But a whole survey on Sword Coast Legends. Hm. I don't even know what it is, really. And said as much when I answered.

jadrax

Adventurer
In WoW the ranger is the only way to play a bow class. But in 5e, you can make a bow class from fighter or rogue (possibly both). WoW fighter and rogue are melee only. Bows are not something special to rangers.

Wilderness survival is also available to any class. Still not special.

The class needs something else that makes them stand out. And pets are a good way to do that.

Pets are available to anyone with the cash to buy a Mastiff. They are not special.

Corpsetaker

First Post
Okay so SCL is sinking faster than the Titanic and instead of doing an overall survey of this awful game they decide to focus on something as insignificant as the ranger.

Way to go with your priorities Wizards!

Serpine

Explorer
But a whole survey on Sword Coast Legends. Hm. I don't even know what it is, really. And said as much when I answered.

Would have been nice if the "haven't played" branch asked a few specific questions about games you do play. I don't have a frame of reference to determine what would get me to play a game I'm not familiar with and gets bad reviews, so my survey results for this one probably ended up lost in the ether.

Zaran

Adventurer
Every 1st level ranger should get a magic figurine that turns into most awesomest of beast companions whenever they want and then goes away when rangers want to pwn all the XPs and fight assassins.

No really, if giving a more permanent animal companion is what they think would fix the ranger, then I'm willing to try it. If people don't like it they can play one of the other half dozen versions so far.

Rils

Explorer
Okay so SCL is sinking faster than the Titanic and instead of doing an overall survey of this awful game they decide to focus on something as insignificant as the ranger.

Way to go with your priorities Wizards!

Umm, the survey IS about SCL... The stuff about Rangers was the results from Last month's survey.

Honestly a little surprised by Ranger results. Considering how many people were up in arms about "rangers need a better schtick than TWF or bows", you'd think the stuff they posted last month would be of interest. Apparently people prefer the cliche'd tropes.

It is funny because I was very anti-animal companion when I took the survey, but I might be able to live with this. It is a unique defining schtick or power source for the class and it makes the Ranger something other than a stealthy nature Paladin. Maybe they need to build a rogue variant Scout for people who want to play the sneaky survivalist ambusher type which is more how I see the class, but I can get 90% of the way there just power swapping features from the Rogue dropping the urban flavor and adding a bit of healing. I look forward to seeing what they come up with. Even though it doesn't match my personal vision, it does seem like it will be a much more defined class and the possibilities sound like a lot of fun if they can manage to overcome a player with two pawns from dominating combat.

gyor

Legend
I disagree.

In WoW the ranger is the only way to play a bow class. But in 5e, you can make a bow class from fighter or rogue (possibly both). WoW fighter and rogue are melee only. Bows are not something special to rangers.

Wilderness survival is also available to any class. Still not special.

The class needs something else that makes them stand out. And pets are a good way to do that.
(TWF is available to plenty as well).

That said, it would be nice to also have a scout subclass for the rogue.

If your an elf you can play a bow anything.

Actually weirdly you can make a descent ranger like character by using a Wild Elf Bard,

gyor

Legend
It is funny because I was very anti-animal companion when I took the survey, but I might be able to live with this. It is a unique defining schtick or power source for the class and it makes the Ranger something other than a stealthy nature Paladin. Maybe they need to build a rogue variant Scout for people who want to play the sneaky survivalist ambusher type which is more how I see the class, but I can get 90% of the way there just power swapping features from the Rogue dropping the urban flavor and adding a bit of healing. I look forward to seeing what they come up with. Even though it doesn't match my personal vision, it does seem like it will be a much more defined class and the possibilities sound like a lot of fun if they can manage to overcome a player with two pawns from dominating combat.

Actually the UA Ranger subclass does scout thing really well.

Related Articles

Remove ads

Remove ads