• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Swordsage build

Klaude dOrien

First Post
First session report

first encounter our caravan was amushed by bandits - standard goblins, some first level human? rogues and an elf? TWF ranger? with a necklace of fireballs (3 2d6 gems)

NB the other PCs - warforged ranger/barbarian, dwarf ranger/rogue, gnome beguiler, human cleric/psion

sudden leap worked - helped me get within charging range
burning blade - missed on the attack
mighty throw -failed on the opposed check
shadow blade technique - rolled a 19 and a 16, figured both would hit but forgoed the bonus cold damage for a chance to critical then failed on the confirmation roll

flames blessing would have helped against one of the beads but I had child of shadow up

second encounter we were defending a tower against attack from orc barbarians. lacking great ranged capability my guy was watching on the other side of the tower for a decoy as the orcs charged towards the barred door at the base. heard some (invisible) movement on my side of the tower and followed it. child of shadow turned a tanglefoot bag into a miss and the rogue? fled

thoughts: the rest of the group found child of shadow the most obnoxious feature. "an always on blur". protection against sneak attacks is nice when you think you are facing off against an invisble rogue :) as it happens island of blades wouldn't have been much use this session- in the first encounter we were spread out, in the second I was isolated.

thanks for the comments above. MoPM - agree it's not much use but I need one Diamond Mind as a prerequiste for Emerlad Razor. SNB - double damage is nice but requires suceeding on 2 rolls. most of the time it won't work. when it does you'll be told the Ssage is broken :)

castro3nw

First Post
Klaude dOrien said:
shadow blade technique - rolled a 19 and a 16, figured both would hit but forgoed the bonus cold damage for a chance to critical then failed on the confirmation roll

*grins* It looks like you hit on one of the better uses for Shadow Blade Technique... "Hey.. I've got 2 chances to roll a threat" Good stuff, unless yer wielding a d6 weapon.. Then just take the cold damage...

Remove ads