• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E T1: The Village of Hommlet (OOC)

sithramir

First Post
[sblock=Taranis Level 1]
Name: Taranis FlameTongue

Sex: Male
Race: Half-Elf
Class/Level: Bard/1
Alignment: Chaotic Good
Size: Medium
Type (Subtype): Humanoid (human)
Init: +3
Senses: Normal
Passive Perception: 15

DEFENSE
AC: 15 (12 Studded Leather Armor +3 dex)
HP: 10 (1d8 +2 con)
Saves: Dexterity & Charisma
Special Defenses:

OFFENSE
Speed: 30ft
Melee: Rapier (Finesse) +5 Attack, 1d8+3 Piercing
Ranged: (Hand Crossbow, ammunition, range 80/320, loading) +5 ATK, 1d6+3 Piercing
Special Attacks:
Spells: Attack +5 (Saving Throw DC: 13)
Cantrips Known: Mage Hand, Vicious Mockery (Minor Illusion will be next)
Spell Slots: (1st) 2
Spells Known: Dissonant Whispers (1st), Healing Word (1st), Sleep (1st), Thunderwave (1st)

STATISTICS
Str 8 (-1), Dex 16 (+3) +1 racial, Con 14 (+2) +1 racial, Int 10 (+0), Wis 12 (+1), Cha 16 (+3) +2 racial

Traits: I'm driven by wanderlust.
Ideal: Change: Life is like the seasons, in constant change, and we must change with it.
Bond: I am the last survivor of the Seelie Court. It is up to me to ensure their names enter legend.
Flaw: I will never truly trust someone, other than myself.

Skills (Proficient in bold) 3 Bard, 2 Half-Elf, 2 background
Mod Attribute Name of Skill
+5 (dex) Acrobatics
+1 (wis) Animal Handling
+0 (int) Arcana
-1 (str) Athletics
+5 (cha) Deception
+0 (int) History
+3 (wis) Insight
+3 (cha) Intimidation
+0 (int) Investigation
+1 (wis) Medicine
+0 (int) Nature
+3 (wis) Perception
+3 (cha) Performance
+5 (cha) Persuasion
+0 (int) Religion
+5 (dex) Sleight of Hand
+5 (dex) Stealth
+1 (wis) Survival

Languages: Common, Elvish, Halfing, Sylvan, Celestial

Racial Abilities:
Darkvision: Taranis can see in dim light within 60' as if it were bright light, and in darkness as if it was dim light
Fey: Resistance on charm saving throws, can't be put to sleep magically
Feats: NONE

Background Abilities: Drifter:
Taranis has spent most of his life moving from place to place, never settling down in one location for long. During his travels, dealt with people of all backgrounds and from all walks of life.

Skill Proficiencies: Insight, Persuasion

Tool Proficiencies: vehicles (land)

Languages: Any two standard languages of your choice

Equipment: A set of traveler's clothes, souvenirs from various places you've called home, belt pouch containing 15gp

Feature: Contacts. Taranis knows someone (or someone knows him) in every place he's been to. You can find a place to hide, rest, or recuperate among people you know unless you've shown yourself to be a danger or too much of a nuisance to them. They will help you as much as they are able, but they will not risk their well-being for you.

Taranis longs for a place to call home. Whether they enjoy moving from place to place or yearn to settle down, the constant moving shapes a drifter's attitudes and ideals. Some develop an insatiable wanderlust and choose adventuring to fulfill it.

CLASS FEATURES
Spellcasting: Charisma DC 13
- Bardic Inspiration (d6) (3 uses)
Proficient: Light armor
Weapons: Simple Weapons, hand crossbows, longswords, rapiers, shortswords
Tools: 3 musical instruments (Lute, Horn, Flute), vehicle (land)

Combat Gear:
Rapier
Hand Crossbow w/ 20 bolts
Dagger
Staff
Studded Leather Armor

Other Gear:

Traveler's clothes
Lute
Horn
Flute
Belt pouch
50' hempen rope
component pouch
backpack
bedroll
mess kit
tinderbox
10 torches
10 days of rations
waterskin
*potion of healing 2d4+2
Money: 20 gp, 5 sp

Weight Carried: xx lbs
Carrying Capacity: 120 lbs
Push/Drag/Lift: 240 lbs

Physical Appearance:
Taranis is slender and stands at 5' - 6" tall. There is no conflict with whether or not he is handsome or where his origins must be from. He is simply beautiful. A perfect painting come to life. He is edged with a glow as if the colors of everything about him wavers. His hair and beard are the reds and orange of a spectacular sunset. As if locks of his curling hair were painted with the glory of the sky when the sun was setting. His eyes are multi-petals of green: jade, grass, shades of leaves as if a green flow had been substituted for the iris of his eyes. He smiles at you joyously and you feel inspired as if that smile was meant for you and only you. One look and you know you will either hate him or love him.

Backstory:
Taranis, Lord of Light and Illusion, future king of the Seelie Court.

Taranis is a wanderer, but wasn't always so. Taranis was a half-breed born to the love of an immortal High Royal Sidhe named Arannis and an Elf female named Theirastra. To be a sidhe and a member of the Seelie Court is to be blessed but being "mortal" and a half-breed to boot, was nothing but a curse. Never treated as an equal for his heritage, Taranis was only protected so long as his father remained in good standing at the court. A minor noble, he was loved by many. Loved too much, perhaps, for the Queen always doted on Taranis's father Arannis. Rumor has it, his mother Theirastra, was a whore only their to gain the benefits of the court. Any creature who gives birth to a Sidhe child is given life long acceptance into the courts. The Sidhe are not the most fertile race.

Most folks assumed these rumors came from the Queen for she despised Theirastra and had plans for making Arannis the next king. Unfortunately, one fail day, Arannis was found poisoned and terribly ill. Taking this weakness to her advantage, the Queen challenged Theirastra to a duel and slew her. Arannis never fully recovered from the illness, but while immortal, could not die from it.

Taranis, as his younger years continued, soon learned the meaning of pain. While true duels were not allowed for those not yet of age, Taranis found himself fighting for his life day after day until he realized something must be done. On his wakening day, he challenged one of the royal court to a true duel in front of the Queen and the court in hopes of proving himself in battle. His hopes that such a win would win him a place in the Queens Guard and would end any future duel attempts. The guard was exempt to such as their protection of the royals was of the utmost importance.

Such an attempt was foolish and became his demise and banishment from the Sidhe court. A warrior defeating another with only magic was considered a great accomplishment. There was no lack of pride between the Sidhe. It is a matter of pride and boasting for one to be able to bring victory as such as the magic of the Seelie is that of illusion and enchantment. Rare is the ability to bring physical harm. Taranis paid the true price when his adversary cast some sort of minor feeblemind spell upon him.

Taranis was immediately relieved of all mental facilities. The court, seeing Taranis's weakness and knowing his father had never truly recovered claimed his mortality was a disease. His fathers illness was Taranis's fault! His choices were to be banished and never return (a fate worse than death to the Sidhe) or to stay and be forever shamed. Eventually succumbing to some other betrayel.

Taranis eventually left the court, his memories jumbled. Wandering became his lot in life as he desperately seeked to find some place to call home. He continues his search traveling to town after town seeking adventure to fill the void of his needs. He may not have ever truly recovered from his ordeal from the duel. While perhaps mortal, his long life has gained him a reputation as a drifter. Many towns know him and those who remember him often offer him a place to stay in exchange for conversation and perhaps a beautiful Seelie court song or poem.

Taranis has trouble remembering when or where he is. He is often given aid but as much as people are able, but only if it does not risk their own well being. His wanderlust and goal to find a true home is always delayed by the fact that his mental facilities have never truly returned to normal. One day he awakens clad in the most beautiful of armors with earth shattering spells on the tip of his tongue, and others he is clothed with only a few coppers to spare. Always willing to share his lore and musical talents from his "past life" at the Seelie court he never actually performs in front of a crowd. His inability to retain his memories always causing issues, often forcing him to move on to another town.

As far as he knows, the Seelie court is no more. His familiy, his heritage gone perhaps even just a myth. He cannot truly ever know.

[/sblock]

Last edited:

JustinCase

the magical equivalent to the number zero
Alright, I decided to buy the PHB 5th Edition. The Basic Rules were too, you know, basic for my taste. :)

Depending on which module I'll be in, what role needs to be filled? I've seen quite a few arcane casters and some fighters, so perhaps a cleric or a rogue would be a good idea. Anything I should be mindful of when creating such a cleric?

Herobizkit

Adventurer
@sithramir I was thinking of going full book-learning cleric, having skills in Arcana, Religion, Investigation and the like... basically a Int-based Cleric. Looks like we wouldn't have too many (if any) overlapping skills, so that works for me.

Being both half-elven, we could play off each other too; you being the handsome roguish future king of the Fey, and I being the gruff, stern, common sense female who actually hates her Elven heritage.

Part of me still wants to play a sassy female Tiefling warlock with a superiority complex.

Here was Samara Renae's original build:

Sex: Female
Race: Half-Elf
Class/Level: Knowledge Cleric of Saint Cuthbert/1
Alignment: Lawful Good
Size: Medium
Type (Subtype): Humanoid (human)
Init: +0
Senses: Normal, 60' Darkvision
Passive Perception: 14

DEFENSE
AC 16 (scale mail [AC 14] + shield [AC +2])
Saves: Wisdom, Charisma
Special Defenses: advantage vs Charm, immune to Sleep magic

OFFENSE
Speed: 30ft
Melee: +4 mace (1d6+2)
Ranged +2 light xbow (1d8)
Special Attacks:
Spells
Spell Attack: +5 Sacred Flame
Spell Saving Throw DC: 13
Cantrips Known: Guidance, Mending, Sacred Flame
Spell Slots: (1st) 2
Spells Preparared: (1st) Command, Guiding Bolt, Healing Word, Prot fr Evil and Good

STATISTICS [27 points]:
Str 14 (+2)
Dex 10 (0)
Con 12 (+1)
Int 14 (+2) [+1 racial]
Wis 16 (+3) [+1 racial]
Cha 10 (0) [+2 racial]

Traits: I see omens in every event and action. The gods try to speak to us, we just need to listen.
Ideal: Charity. I always try to help those in need, no matter what the personal cost.
Bond: I would die to recover an ancient relic of my faith that was lost long ago.
Flaw: I judge others harshly, and myself even more severely.

Skills (Proficient skills underlined)
+0 (dex) Acrobatics [Disadvantage due to Scale Mail]
+3 (wis) Animal Handling
+6 (int) Arcana [via Domain; Expertise via Domain]
+2 (str) Athletics
+0 (cha) Deception
+6 (int) History [via Domain; Expertise via Domain]
+5 (wis) Insight [via Acolyte]
+0 (cha) Intimidation
+4 (int) Investigation [Race bonus]
+5 (wis) Medicine
+2 (int) Nature
+4 (wis) Perception [Race bonus]
+0 (cha) Performance
+2 (cha) Persuasion
+5 (int) Religion [via Acolyte]
+0 (dex) Sleight of Hand
+0 (dex) Stealth
+3 (wis) Survival

Languages: Common, Elvish, Dwarvish, Giant, Celestial

Background Abilities: Proficiency in Insight, Religion, plus two languages
Feature: Shelter of the Faithful - free healing and care at temple etc, possible home in temple

Class features: Spellcasting, Divine Domain [Knowledge]

Combat Gear:
Mace, Scale Mail, Shield, light x-bow w/20 bolts

Other Gear:
priest's pack, holy symbol, 10 candles, vestments, prayer book

Money: 15 gp

Carrying Capacity: 210 lbs
Push/Drag/Lift: 420 lbs

Physical Appearance:
  • Samara has bronze skin, dark blue eyes and a blonde pixie-cut hairstyle.
  • She is 5'4" and has a thin build.
  • Her clothes are usually simple and masculine which hide her figure well.
  • She speaks with an unusual accent which many find unnerving.
  • People tend to find her attractive, and she looks younger than she really is (which is 24).

Backstory:

• Samara was born in a human homeland and raised partially by her single mother, a human Soldier in a city/metropolis.
  • She was initially peasant-born; when her mother left for war, she was placed in the care of the local clergy where she learned and studied among the scholars and academics of the temple of Saith Cuthbert.
  • As she grew, magical and wondrous happenings surrounded her. She once encountered a pixie that she swears to this day was an Angel sent to guide her, and she often spoke to this creature, even when it appeared it wasn't there.
  • In her infancy, she suffered a head trauma which caused her to have powerful headaches and blackouts. The priests eventually figured this out and, with their magics, cured her of her illness. Seeing clearly for the first time in her life, the priests' magic redoubled her faith and she began to see omens in all sorts of things.
  • During her research, Samara learned of the existence of a special book that could end up being the cornerstone of her entire faith.
  • Upon her mother's return, she personally instructed Samara in the warrior arts to prepare her for her journey.
  • Because Samara was so cloistered, concepts of personal discourse outside of the scholarly circles are foreign to her. She speaks her mind plainly.
  • She is a regimented person who ritualizes most standard activities.

Last edited:

sithramir

First Post
[MENTION=36150]Herobizkit[/MENTION] Great. Sounds good then. I wasn't planning on being the knowledgeable type at all. If I was going to do Valor bard instead of Lore then I would have probably made myself human to get a feat to help in melee.

But I'm going to likely just be a caster type and I like the roguish concept. If we had no rogue I could fill that need but really i'm just a smart-a$$ caster type hehe.

Shayuri

First Post
I don't know if we have a 'rogue' exactly, but Kestrel is -essentially- a rogue, being a monk with high stealth and a background that grants thief tool proficiency.

I definitely intend to play her as a rogue, even though she won't getta the sneak attacks. A rock'em sock'em martial arts rogue. :)

KirayaTiDrekan

Adventurer
We call that a ninja, I think. ;)

Let's semi-close up recruiting (still room for a couple of last minute stragglers) for the time being and put everyone in T1. I'll save B1 for later. I'll put up some more information on Hommlet soon so you can connect your backgrounds to it if you like.

Rubberneck

First Post
I'm still working on my Mountain Dwarf fighter. Been reading up on how 2 weapon fighting works and it seems like I'd have more damage output with a 2 handed weapon. Or sacrifice damage and get a little tanky with sword and board (or in this case axe) I'm looking forward to this. My thing with 2 weapon fighting is that from a story telling aspect is just awsome to tell. And I mean let's get right down to it with PbP it's basically like we're writing a book with multiple authors. That's how I see it anyway lol.

JustinCase

the magical equivalent to the number zero
I'm thinking about a hill dwarf cleric with the life domain (a protector and healer) who is just a little too fond of the ale he brews... Would that fit the Healing Light (or St Cuthbert) church, you reckon?

Remove ads