• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

T20: High Law and Low Justice, Part 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

Maerdwyn

First Post
Wilphe said:
"Having just shot our way out of a Liner and hijacked two of its boats on the basis that it isn't a corsair, now would not be the best time to have doubts," Ruzz'koff gives a slight twinge from his wound.
Julia seems to wince as she sees Ruzz'koff in pain. She nods at his words, and looks down. "I cannot prove that the Dvonn is what it claims. I but I believe it. I don't know what the quality of Vyrkris's recording was like, but I saw that crewman pleading for help - he was telling the truth. Still, I almost gave into Nells-Corzine. Until I started wondering, why JohnHenry hadn't blown the Dvonn to dust before they got here. If they knew - hell if they *thought* there was a corsair in their system that might threaten company shipping, they wouldn't just leave her sitting out here. But if they knew she was something else - if they thought it could be proven later that she'd been carrying innocent passengers rather than corsairs..." She trails off, looking up to see what the rest of the boats passengers think.

Trelene said:
Trelene continues to work, but then looks up as if remembering something.

"Captain? Now that we appear to have plenty of time to talk, I am curious as to why Walid Nells-Corzin has taken control of your ship...."
Julia looks at Trelene: "I was hoping you'd be able to help me figure that out, Trelene." After a slight pause: "Nell-Corzin boarded the Keruuchan before all the other passengers, and had insisted that his limousine be allowed to bring him directly to the ship. Even then he was surrounded by his security agents, one of whom carried a large, black case that was chained to his arm. Throughout the journey, that agent has never left Nells-Corzine's quarters. When I asked the Vice President about him a few days ago, he told me that my, '...duty to the company is to get the Keruuchan as quickly, as safely, and as discreetly as possible.' I don't know what was in that case - but it's got something to do with the company's behavior."

She pauses a second, and when she resumes, there's a bit of a tinge to her voice, though she sounds like she's trying to supress it. "Two days before The Keruuchan left Daramm, I received new orders and a revised passenger manifest - this, in and of itself, is not uncommon, but this manifest came from Corporate Security, which is. They informed me that because of security risks involved, the Company would be assigning extra security personnel to the Keruuchan. They also ordered the dismissal and replacement of three of my more experienced security officers. The new manifest said the Keruuchan would have two executives travelling with us to Dukh - HiranuCorp Vice President Walid Nell-Corzine, and Retired Makhidkarun Vice President Trelene Scrautigue. Do you have any idea why Hiranucorp Security would have done that, Trelene?"

doghead

thotd
~ a little while ago ~

Saanath experiences a rush of joy as the magnetic locks release and the boat slips easily out of the hanger doors in a cloud of liquor crystals. The merciless serenity of space wraps itself around the tiny boat. Saanath feels his breathing slow and his mind clears. He had forgotten how much he loved piloting in space. It was good to be back in the big chair. As the boat clears the hanger doors it rolls and slides smoothly alongside the hull of the Keruchan.

"I want stay within the signiture of the Keruchan til we know where the jamming is comming from. Then perhaps we can slip away on the other side without being noticed."

Beta emerges and moments later, pulls away in a blaze of maneuver drive thrust. Saanath notices the lights out on the other boat. Saanath likewise powers alpha away from the Keruchan, but on a course that keeps some distance between the two boats.

~ over then next 20 minutes ~

Saanath says to Quinn and Tomas, "The other boat's going dark - probably a good idea for us, too. We've got a few hours until we reach the Dvonn. How should we handle it when we get there?"

Tomas: "standard boarding actions for a hostile craft until we know exactly what where up against" he shrugs "we've got vac suits stowed onboard and weapons enough if they're required"

"OK. We running silently for now. 20 minutes to reestablishing comm. Tomas, can you sort out getting us a secure line to the other boat. A line of sight laser or a hidden signal. If not, then an encrypted one? And I want to check the course plots and seen what we can find out about whoever is jaming us. How are you with sensors and astronav. I never paid much attention to them. Didn't need it as a port monkey. So feel free to take the lead."

"Quinn, you're Marine right. And Tomas you're navy? I'd suggest that we take point. We've more space on board, and the other boat has wounded. Beta can act as the eyes and ears. The ex-VP seems pretty sharp in that area.

"I also suggest that we should get on vacc suits asap.

"Any thoughts?"

Tonguez

A suffusion of yellow
doghead said:
"OK. We running silently for now. 20 minutes to reestablishing comm. Tomas, can you sort out getting us a secure line to the other boat. A line of sight laser or a hidden signal. If not, then an encrypted one? And I want to check the course plots and seen what we can find out about whoever is jaming us. How are you with sensors and astronav. I never paid much attention to them. Didn't need it as a port monkey. So feel free to take the lead."

"I've got some experience with Astronav, not so good with sensors" Tomas replies as he goes to try and get the required secure line to the other boat as requested "I'll see what I can hook up here though before looking at the nav plots"

(ooc Electronics 11 Astrogation 8 Communications 4)

"Quinn, you're Marine right. And Tomas you're navy? I'd suggest that we take point. We've more space on board, and the other boat has wounded. Beta can act as the eyes and ears. The ex-VP seems pretty sharp in that area.

"I also suggest that we should get on vacc suits asap.

"Any thoughts?"

"Ex- Navy, engineering corp though" he agrees ith the suggestion to take point "so Quinns likely got more frontline experience than I. It does mean I can handle a Vac-suit, Low-G and a gun but"

How long til contact then?

Last edited:

doghead

thotd
Tonguez said:
"I've got some experience with Astronav, not so good with sensors" Tomas replies as he goes to try and get the required secure line to the other boat as requested "I'll see what I can hook up here though before looking at the nav plots"

"Talk me through what you are doing. I'll addd anything I can think of. Between us we should be able to get something patched together."

Tonguez said:
"Ex- Navy, engineering corp though" he agrees ith the suggestion to take point "so Quinns likely got more frontline experience than I. It does mean I can handle a Vac-suit, Low-G and a gun but"

"Engineering is good. I can fly it, you can fix it. And Quinn can handle the pointy end if it comes to that."

Tonguez said:
How long til contact then?

"About 3 hours? Give or take. According to the original plots that were put in. Actually, lets check the plots first while we run silently. Then get onto the communications."

Wilphe

Adventurer
Ruzz'koff realizes that with his sword still attached and digging into him he's more uncomfortable then he really needs to be. He detaches the scabbard and settles back into the seat.

Douane

First Post
Maerdwyn said:
Julia seems to wince as she sees Ruzz'koff in pain. She nods at his words, and looks down. "I cannot prove that the Dvonn is what it claims. I but I believe it. I don't know what the quality of Vyrkris's recording was like, but I saw that crewman pleading for help - he was telling the truth. Still, I almost gave into Nells-Corzine. Until I started wondering, why JohnHenry hadn't blown the Dvonn to dust before they got here. If they knew - hell if they *thought* there was a corsair in their system that might threaten company shipping, they wouldn't just leave her sitting out here. But if they knew she was something else - if they thought it could be proven later that she'd been carrying innocent passengers rather than corsairs..." She trails off, looking up to see what the rest of the boats passengers think.

Absently Zaed starts kneading one of his ears.

"Well, I'll be the first to admit that I don't have the slightest idea about why merchants do the things they do, but converting corsairs into cruise liners seems really strange. I mean, they were built to do a lot of things, yet somehow I don't think hauling passengers around for the sake of it was among them.

But I'll tell you one thing I know for certain: Corsairs are a sneaky bunch!

I wouldn't trust them as far as I could throw them and that's not very far." Turning to Vyrkris, he continues and underlines his next sentence with a re-assuring smile. "Of course, that's not due to a lack of physical strength, anything but! It's simply, well, most Vargr aren't very aerodynamic."

Seonaid said:
"Zaedhrarrg . . . I would like to operate on you. Your wound will heal on its own, but it will take a large amount of time. I could complete this operation before we reach the Dvonn, so you would not be out of the action. The scale is hours as opposed to days or weeks."

With a doubting glance at the back of the boat, Zaedhrarrg answers Ktarle.

"So, it's not much of an operating theater here, no? Ma would like it here, though.

Well, anyway. You are going to need the best pilot available when we meet up with that corsair, so it would be probably for the best to do ... that now.

"Just to let you know: There are laws against stuffing Vargr!"

Seonaid

Explorer
Ktarle smiles reassuringly, showing a lot of teeth. "Very well then. I'll start now, unless you have an objection."

Douane

First Post
EEK!

Stars! Can't back out now or I'll be the laughing-stock.

Well, fewer teeth than Ma, but she's a lot bigger. Wonder if it was such a good idea ...

"Ready when you are, Doc."

Gulp!

Last edited:

Seonaid

Explorer
Ktarle nods. "I'm going to inject you with something to knock you out, and then I'll operate here in the shuttle." She gestures to the flat space at the back of the vehicle. "You won't feel anything, though you may be sore or slightly out of sorts when you wake."

Without pausing, she prepares the area in the back of the shuttle for field surgery, securing all loose equipment, laying out her meager supplies, and sterilizing the working surfaces, her hands, and the instruments. She then readies the injection, doing it well within Zaedhrarrg's view. After taking the appropriate safety precautions, she plunges the syringe into his arm. As he sinks into unconsciousness, she smiles at him again, doing her best to present the perfect bedside manner for a Vargr. Once she has him in position and he is completely out, she begins the surgery.

If she feels she will need untrained aid, she will ask for a volunteer from the others in the shuttle before putting Zaed under.

doghead

thotd
Once the course has been plotted, and if everything looks sound, Saanath gets up from the pilots seat and heads back into the boat. He pulls a vacc suit from the locker and puts it on. Except for the helmet, which he secures somewhere within easy reach of the pilot's chair. As he goes through the familier motions of donning a suit, his mind busies itself dredging up all that it can remember about Astronav and Sensors. Which is some, but not a great deal.

"How are we going with the secure channel?" he asks Tomas.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads