• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Table Rules

The_Universe

First Post
Welcome to our private forum, my friend.

Odd with the text - I just copy/pasted out of a word document, which is probably the problem. I'll fix what I can.

JimAde

First Post
The_Universe said:
Welcome to our private forum, my friend.

Odd with the text - I just copy/pasted out of a word document, which is probably the problem. I'll fix what I can.
Sorry, didn't mean to intrude. :) I just follow the interesting-looking links from the "recent postings" on the front page. I'll go now.

*slinks sheepishly toward door, grabbing a bag of Doritos on the way out*

AIM-54

First Post
Archon said:
I will say though, that in all of my years of gaming i've never seen anything like this.

Neither have I. Doesn't mean it's a bad idea under the current circumstances. But I believe each GM will be able to tweak the rules to taste. And there's nothing wrong with trying to unify expectations and responsibilities (on both sides of the DM screen) so that everyone's gaming needs are fulfilled as much as possible. And that's something that has been lacking.

The_Universe

First Post
AIM-54 said:
Neither have I. Doesn't mean it's a bad idea under the current circumstances. But I believe each GM will be able to tweak the rules to taste. And there's nothing wrong with trying to unify expectations and responsibilities (on both sides of the DM screen) so that everyone's gaming needs are fulfilled as much as possible. And that's something that has been lacking.
That's very much my expectation. This is my version (still a work in progress) and yours may be longer, shorter, or come at things with an entirely different philosophy. I crafted things as much as I could to be fair to players and GMs alike, and barring the introduction of a more specific set for each of you other GMs, I'll do my best to hold to my own standards when I'm playing in your games.

The_Universe

First Post
RULES THAT DIDN'T MAKE THE BIG LIST THAT I STILL THINK ARE A GOOD IDEA

1) Be nice. You're playing the game to have fun, but the people around you are trying to do the same. Keep any fun that you acquire at the expense of someone else to a respectable minimum.

2) Be helpful. Everyone playing the game has different strengths and weaknesses. Help out those that need help, and don't be afraid to ask for help when you need it. Ridiculing another player for not knowing the entirety rules, setting, or related information only slows down the game - please refrain from doing so.

3) Seperate in-character and out of character knowledge (and problems). There are things that the players may know (or think they know) that their characters do not. Whenever possible, please act only on information that the characters have. Similarly, arguments between characters should be hammed up as much as possible, and playful banter is encouraged. Arguments between players are strenuously prohibited, at least insofar as they may result from game events. You may argue politics, religion, or historical facts (etc.) to your heart's content, so long as it does not distract from the game.

4) Be a grown-up if and when your character dies. Any game that I run will include at least some risk of demise throughout the course of adventuring. I expect anyone who has a character die mid-adventure to speak with me as immediately as is possible to arrange for the introduction of a new character.

Accordingly, I will not make any specific or concerted efforts to kill off any particular person's character, save to the degree that NPCs in the game would do so. I will do my best to ensure that no rule or 'out' is ignored when determining if, in fact, a character has died. However, established rules for the game or setting will be strictly enforced for all characters.

Be smart with the risks you (and others) take in the game, and you'll probably live through the greater part of it.

5) Only metagame to the degree that you need to do so in order to have fun. Don't try to second-guess my intentions, or how an NPC will react based on something you know in real life. Not all problems you encounter will have expected (or scripted solutions), and I can guarantee that there are events and encounters designed to be as insurmountable as possible. However, such events will be few and far between.

Alternatively, feel free to try to orchestrate events to correct problems you percieve with your own character. Rather than complaining about how frustrating it is to "have to" play your character in a certain way, simply change the way he or she acts and reacts. Please, try to have it make as much sense within the bonds of the story as is possible. But...

6) Remember that this is not improvisational drama. While the game may share certain aspects with improvisational drama, your key goal is not to entertain an audience, but rather to entertain yourself and the other players. There is no reason to continue playing a character you are no longer fond of, and even less reason to constrain your own actions to things you do not enjoy. Regardless...

7) Things will not always go right for you. Sometimes, it's just a strike of bad luck. At other times, it will be one of the many types of obstacles that you're playing the game to overcome. If you want full control over everything that happens, good or bad, I would encourage you to write a novel or short story.

8) Don't be afraid to ask questions. I don't mind answering them - about pretty much everything and anything. I won't remember everything you might need to know to be able to perform every action, but I'll do my best to tell you. Regardless, the world exists only in our imaginations, so if there's something you need to be sure about, ask before you try, rather than complaining after you fail.

The_Universe

First Post
I've slightly updated the rules PDF. Changes are reflected in the main post, as well (but they're not nearly as pretty). Please download the current version at your leisure, as it is "binding" as of now.

The_Universe

First Post
Another guideline:

A significant portion of KoA had a relatively dour feel. While there will certainly be stormclouds in the background and darkness everywhere, etc. etc....

There should be humor, too. No brooding loners, no characters so serious that they can't toss of a truly humorous one-liner in a moment of danger. Funny characters are worth keeping around - and will be favored by the GM. I don't want rampant pythonesque silliness, but I do want to be able to have someone able to say "we're all fine here, how are you?" and not have it seem out of whack.

Dark characters are RIGHT OUT. A toothy smile and a clever line are the order of the day.

Remove ads