The Tabletop Adventure Sues Geek Therapeutics For 'Libel, Slander, and Copyright Infringement'

Shawn Thomas of The Tabletop Adventure is suing Geek Therapeutics and its founder, Dr. Anthony Bean, for "libel, slander and copyright infringement".

Realms of Kymoria Cropped.png

Shawn Thomas of The Tabletop Adventure is suing Geek Therapeutics and its founder, Dr. Anthony Bean, for "libel, slander and copyright infringement" over Realms of Kymoria, according to the Iowa Capital Dispatch (ICD). Shawn authored Realms of Kymoria, and discussed manufacturing, marketing, and distributing the setting with Geek Therapeutics. "Despite the alleged lack of a finalized licensing agreement between Thomas and the Texas company, Geek Therapeutics launched a Kickstarter crowd-funding campaign to get Realms of Kymoria to market."

The active campaign is live on Backerkit, not Kickstarter, though there is a Kickstarter "coming soon" launch page. ICD's original article offers details reprinted in its entirety here via ICD's use of Creative Commons:

A “certified therapeutic game master” from Iowa is suing a Texas company called Geek Therapeutics for libel, slander and copyright infringement over a planned Dungeons & Dragons spinoff.

Shawn Thomas and his Ankeny company [The] Tabletop Adventure are suing Geek Therapeutics and its founder, Dr. Anthony Bean, a licensed psychologist, in U.S. District Court for Southern District of Iowa.

The lawsuit revolves around Thomas’ development of a role-playing tabletop game called Realms of Kymoria. The lawsuit claims that players of the game inhabit a fictional world that provides an inclusive and welcoming environment for all types of individuals.

Thomas alleges that in creating Realms of Kymoria, he produced graphical maps, stories in the form of written prose, and graphic depictions of various characters within those stories. In 2021, he created a limited liability company, [The] Tabletop Adventure, to hold the copyrights, trademarks, and other rights associated with the game.

That same year, the lawsuit alleges, Thomas acquired his “therapeutic game master certification” from Geek Therapeutics, signaling his ability to host role-playing games in therapeutic environments. Soon thereafter, Thomas and Bean allegedly began discussing a potential licensing agreement whereby Geek Therapeutics would manufacture, market, and distribute Realms of Kymoria.

The lawsuit alleges Thomas was concerned about losing control of the intellectual property rights associated with the game and that Bean agreed all such rights would remain with Thomas. Negotiations continued through December 2022, when it was learned that a California company called Wizards of the Coast was planning major changes in its licensing agreements that allow third parties to create games using rules that are compatible with its popular Dungeons & Dragons role-playing game.

Among the planned changes was one that would grant to Wizards of the Coast a perpetual royalty-free license to use the officially licensed third-party games for any purpose. The lawsuit claims this plan triggered “an uproar in the tabletop gaming community” because many game developers had created business models centered on their compatibility with Dungeons & Dragons rules.

Thomas was among the concerned developers because he had intended to make Realms of Kymoria compatible with Dungeons & Dragons, but was opposed to the Wizards of the Coast licensing arrangement, according to the lawsuit.

Geek Therapeutics, however, opted to pursue compatibility and it moved forward with its marketing plans for Realms of Kymoria. Despite the alleged lack of a finalized licensing agreement between Thomas and the Texas company, Geek Therapeutics launched a Kickstarter crowd-funding campaign to get Realms of Kymoria to market. In April 2023, Thomas allegedly demanded that Geek Therapeutics immediately cease all efforts to reproduce and distribute his game.

According to the lawsuit, Geek Therapeutics announced, earlier this month, plans to distribute and sell the game through its Kickstarter campaign. “Hundreds of people have pre-registered” to provide support for the game, the lawsuit claims, and various websites and merchandise have been created to promote and sell the game.

In addition to an injunction, Thomas’ lawsuit seeks damages for copyright infringement as well as libel and slander, with Thomas alleging the defendants sent its Kickstart backers a supportive email that falsely claimed to be from him.

The defendants have yet to file a response to the lawsuit.

Realms of Kymoria A Therapeutic TTRPG Quickstart Kit for 5e.png

Egg Embry

Egg Embry

aramis erak

Legend
This does have all the hallmarks of a scam - did you look at their site's store? - but (and correct me if I'm wrong) using TTRPGs for therapy isn't a completely far-out wacky idea in therapeutic circles at this point, is it? I was under the impression the concept had achieved some degree of legitimacy among licensed therapists at this point.
RP in a clinical setting is a standard therapeutic technique. Since the 1960's, even. In the past, this lead to a lot of negative opinions from clinicians and clinicians' educators.

The general argument going, "We don't want people playing games with powerful tools for reshaping perceptions and behaviors."
Ah, the joys of the Satanic Panic era. As a therapeutic tool, there is plenty of documentation of effectiveness.

It's also a standard educational technique.

The clinical use of tabletop games isn't well documented for therapeutic use last I heard. But that's been since the late 00's. I've read the one cited 1993 one. Many of the cited articles appear reputable; a few appear (without checking) to be way off target - pop-sci or general news publications, rather than professional journals.

MGibster

Legend
The general argument going, "We don't want people playing games with powerful tools for reshaping perceptions and behaviors."
Ah, the joys of the Satanic Panic era. As a therapeutic tool, there is plenty of documentation of effectiveness.

Yup, this was one of Pat Pulling's arguments that D&D was a potentially hazardous activity for young people. I don't know anything about therapeutic role playing, so I'm not really for or against it as I'm in no way qualified to make any determination as to its efficacy. I imagine a therapeutic role playing session would look quite a bit different from my typical game session.

The clinical use of tabletop games isn't well documented for therapeutic use last I heard. But that's been since the late 00's. I've read the one cited 1993 one. Many of the cited articles appear reputable; a few appear (without checking) to be way off target - pop-sci or general news publications, rather than professional journals.
That's about as early as anything I've seen as well, and as you said, appears to be reputable to my layman understanding. The mix of professional (-looking, at least) articles and pop-sci are what led me to ask in the first place when I poked around a bit to try to confirm my belief that game therapy (rather than "pure" roleplay therapy, which has been recognized to varying degrees as long as I've been alive) was no longer terribly controversial.

Regardless, the company site has a lot more buzzwords than I'm comfortable seeing, and many of the books on the store fail to instill confidence in me. Hence my doubts about what you're really getting from a certification from them.

But that's nothing to do with the suit directly anyway, and my opinion means nothing to them.

If somebody actually pays for this certification then theyre too gullible to actually be of use.
I'll refer you to PT Barnum.

Another matter drew my attention to the subject; in most states, there's no legal barrier to classifying, and charging for, therapy, be it a TTRPG, bowling, or taking someone to the shooting range.

Related Articles

Remove ads

Remove ads