tail wags dog: streamers want to say 'aaargh' so we are getting a pirate adventure

SkidAce

Legend
Supporter
Who calls themselves a grognard? It has connotations of stodginess and fear of change and is generally used to denigrate people for being behind the times when it comes to gaming. And who wants to earn the respect of people who gatekeep the term from people they don’t think are old and stodgy enough?

Old and grumbling has a certain air of prestige to it....

And where did fear of change come from? I play 5e and I've been considered a grognard.

I think the pendulum of grognard being derogatory has swung to far. Some 3e players once told me I was the best grognard they had ever met, after I dm'd their 3e game for them.

But that's just my opinion.../shakes stick at everyone.

3catcircus

Adventurer

And where did fear of change come from? I play 5e and I've been considered a grognard.

I think the pendulum of grognard being derogatory has swung to far. Some 3e players once told me I was the best grognard they had ever met, after I dm'd their 3e game for them.

There is a bit of difference between hating something new just because it is new, and hating it because it didn't need to be improved to begin with.

There have been plenty of things that got better with each edition of D&D for some players, yet some would consider those changes to not be an improvement. The difference now is social media gives a minority of players a disproportionate voice to change the game. In the past everyone was equal in this regard unless they took the time to write an actual, coherent, well thought out letter to try and influence tv shows, game designers, manufacturers, whoever. Now, one person can go and write a crayon letter on twitter or post a ranting incoherent video and they are all too often taken seriously

Charlaquin

Goblin Queen (She/Her/Hers)

Eh, maybe it’s just the side of the 3e/4e edition war I was on, but “Grognard” always meant “person too stuck in their ways to accept the newest iteration of the rules” in my experience.

billd91

Not your screen monkey (he/him)
That isn't what he seems to mean. Rather, that some other product that has more appeal could have been developed and released on that schedule, had it not been taken up by this product.

More appeal than pirates? That's like saying some product other than chocolate chip cookies could have been baked on that schedule had the chocolate chip cookies not been baked. Some people might like the alternative product better, but honestly, quite a few are going to like the offering being made too.

billd91

Eh, maybe it’s just the side of the 3e/4e edition war I was on, but “Grognard” always meant “person too stuck in their ways to accept the newest iteration of the rules” in my experience.

Not really, no. There wouldn't have ever been grognards in role playing if they didn't accept the new game ideas when coming over from wargames. Plus, wargames also sometimes get updated editions and, if they're good, they thrive.

3catcircus

Adventurer
More appeal than pirates? That's like saying some product other than chocolate chip cookies could have been baked on that schedule had the chocolate chip cookies not been baked. Some people might like the alternative product better, but honestly, quite a few are going to like the offering being made too.

Yep. Maybe quite a few will like, in this case, pirates. But the people who like pirates, if they are in the minority, shouldn't be allowed to dictate to the majority, who might, say, want vampires or dragons. He seems to be stating that streamers are a minority of all D&D players who seem to be dictating what WotC should be developing.

The other side of that coin is that if no one *else* is speaking up, then only those who *are* are going to be listened to.

billd91

Yep. Maybe quite a few will like, in this case, pirates. But the people who like pirates, if they are in the minority, shouldn't be allowed to dictate to the majority, who might, say, want vampires or dragons. He seems to be stating that streamers are a minority of all D&D players who seem to be dictating what WotC should be developing.

But we've already had dragons, dungeons, vampires, giants, retro, and quite a bit more classic D&D materials. Time for something different.

Remove ads