tail wags dog: streamers want to say 'aaargh' so we are getting a pirate adventure

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
But isn't ... so grognard .... to grievously dispute with frumious intensity those small differences?

Nah. Nitpicky? Pedantic? Maybe.

1e is to 2e as Empire Strikes Back is to the Star Wars Holiday Special. Sure, if you get drunk enough and squint, they are the same. But it doesn't mean you have to like it.

Nah. 1e is to 2e as A New Hope is to The Force Awakens. There's a strong argument that the latter is a rehash of the former, with better special effects. A lot of things *seem* like important differences, but really aren't. :p

Charlaquin

Goblin Queen (She/Her/Hers)
Sometimes lowkey and I disagree, but I'm going to back them up on this one... halfway.

30 years is old, for a game. But age is not a strict determiner of school. You can create a game today that is "Old School". You need to refer to something other than its age to make clear what school it sits in.

I disagree with lowkey in that I think 2e is not sufficiently different, mechanically, from 1e to be clearly out of the "Old School" camp.

That’s a good point, I’ll concede old-schoolness is often more about aesthetics than actual age. Though it is the aged that defines the old-school aesthetic.

TwoSix

Dirty, realism-hating munchkin powergamer
I would go more ....

A New Hope to .... Solo. Sure, maybe it's not the most terrible thing in the world, but it's a completely unnecessary addition that answers all the questions you never needed answering.
Since The Last Jedi has made using Star Wars movies as objective measuring sticks unnecessarily fraught, I'll just point that all '90s kids know that 2e is way, way better than 1e.

billd91

Not your screen monkey (he/him)
Rogue One was better.

Cm9Xd_LWAAEcwjG.jpg

Remove ads