tail wags dog: streamers want to say 'aaargh' so we are getting a pirate adventure

TwoSix

Dirty, realism-hating munchkin powergamer
Only because some people suck. The Last Jedi was the best Star Wars movie since Empire Strikes Back.

Fight me.
I'm not going to fight you, TLJ and Rogue One are my two favorite Star Wars movies.

But that's only because, objectively, '90s kids are way, way worse than 70s and 80s kids. I'm not judging ... it's not like you know any better. You grew up with beanie babies, and the macarena, and Titanic, and 2e.

Heck, y'all had to talk about something something baatezu and tanar'ri ... no wonder you're confused about what's good!
That's fine....the 70s were so long ago that I can't blame anyone who can actually remember that far back for having nostalgia-tinted vision.

Charlaquin

Goblin Queen (She/Her/Hers)
Naw.

Rogue One was good. Even better after you saw what they did with Solo. I would go so far as to put Rouge One in the top 5 all-time (hmmm....).

But TLJ was definitely the best since Empire.

I would even say .... it's in the top two.

/ducks

Yep. Top two. But I'd accept top three (depending on how you feel about Hamill's acting and Leia's accent in the first one).

EDIT-

To be clear, I think there are five "good" Star Wars movies. Empire, TLJ, ANH, Rogue One, and (a distant fifth) TFA.

All the other movies vary from "slightly off" (Return) to "please, claw out my eyes so I don't have to watch that again" (Attack of the Clones).

Wow, you are playing with Fire talking so highly of TLJ on the internet.

I agree with you, though. Personally, my ranking is:
1. Star Wars
2. The Empire Strikes Back
3. The Last Jedi
4. Rogue One
5. Return of the Jedi
6. The Force Awakens
7. I guess Revenge of the Sith?
8. The Phantom Menace is bad, but it’s not as bad as it’s often made out to be
9. Probably Solo...
10. Yeah, everyone knew Attack of the Clones would end up at the bottom.

A few of those are debatable. Personally, I rank the first film higher than most because I value its self-contained nature (which is also why I called it Star Wars - as parts of a series, Empire is indeed better than A New Hope, but as a standalone film, Star Wars tops the rest, for me. Similarly, I put RotJ above TLJ because TLJ relies so heavily on the context of the saga to work - both previous films to appreciate the cameos, and future films to answer all the questions it raises. Pretty much everything below TFA is essentially arbitrary. They’re all bad, take your pick of which are worse than which.

Satyrn

First Post
A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of small minds.

But you know who loves moving goalposts? Kickers for the Chicago Bears. That's who.

Doink. Doink.

Ooh. I gotta set up a meeting will Mr Belichick. "Forget deflating balls, sir, put the goal posts on rails."

G

Guest 6801328

A debate about which were the best Star Wars movies is infinitely preferable to a debate about the definition of "grognard".

Remove ads