• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D (2024) Take A Closer Look At The 2024 Dungeon Master’s Guide

WotC shares video with a deeper dive

Wizards of the Coast has just shared a video delving into the upcoming One D&D Dungeon Master’s Guide, due for release in 2024.

Scroll down to post #4, below, for a more detailed text summary!
  • Chapter 1 -- basic concepts
  • Chapter 2 -- Advice, common issues
  • Chapter 3 -- Rules cyclopedia
  • Chapter 4 -- Adventure building
  • Chapter 5 -- Campaign building
  • Chapter 6 -- Cosmology
  • Chapter 7 -- Magic items
  • Chapter 8 -- 'A surprise'
  • Appendices -- maps, lore glossary

Staffan

Legend
exploration I can see, but social interaction I am not sure what you are looking for.

Does everything need to be codified and based on a dice roll, even you talking to merchants, guards, nobles? To me roleplaying works well for those situations, with the occasional skill check.

What rule support are you looking for here?
Rob Donoghue had a rant on twitter some time ago about how D&D worked well for combat, because while each individual action has some excitement behind it because of a rather swingy d20 roll, each action plays a fairly small part in the overall outcome of the combat. You can be fairly certain that even if I miss this particular roll, that's not going to screw the whole fight over (and some of its combat weaknesses are things where a lot does hinge on one single roll, like save-or-die abilities). But when dealing with out-of-combat challenges, that swinginess is bad, because it means that trying to persuade the baron to help out comes down to a single Charisma (Persuasion) roll.

That's the kind of thing that 4e-style skill challenges are intended to deal with. They were an attempt to transfer over the multi-roll nature of a combat over to an exploration or social challenge. In their original form they were kind of flawed, mainly because of wonky math, but the idea was great. And that's the kind of thing I would want to see in 5e revised.

Ok, hear me out... the world of the Nentir Vale pretty much steals the gods and locales of Greyhawk.
That's a bit unfair. The Dawn War pantheon has four gods I'd consider "exclusive" to Greyhawk: Pelor, Kord, Tharizdun, and Vecna. There are a bunch of others that I'd consider to be more pan-D&D, because they are the racial gods of various humanoids and other creatures: Bahamut, Moradin, Corellon, Sehanine, Asmodeus, Lolth, Gruumsh, and Tiamat – though the Nentir Vale generally makes changes to these to make them more generically applicable (e.g. Moradin is the god of Family, Community, and Creation, and he's popular among dwarves because those are the kinds of things dwarves value, but you'd also find craftsmen of other races/species praying to Moradin). Heck, there's even a Forgotten Realms god, Bane, who made his way into the pantheon.

but the Monster Vault dragons I believe are still more resistant to being locked-down/incapacitated due to the fact that they never run out of legendary resistance like the 5E dragons do.
Legendary Resistance is meant to run out. It's not designed to make powerful creatures immune to crowd control, it's meant to make them resilient to it. I still think 13th Age's solution is better: put hp caps on crowd control spells, as that means you need to rough the targets up first before pressing the iWin button.

are there people who are ride or die for the 2014 DMG?

I don't know if it's the worst DMG, but it certainly isn't the best.
As someone who has played since second edition, I think it is the best DMG out there. The others don't even come close. Maybe, as Perkins constantly notes, it is the organizational structure that I like (as opposed to those that don't). But, in my opinion, it is an awesome book. It contains more ideas, more direct feedback, and more options than any other DMG I have ever seen.

I don’t think there has ever been a DMG that really tells you how to DM. So that’s something.

But the most important bit was for the MM, and committing to changing, and I assume mostly boosting, the numbers to actually hit the monster CR.
Huh?
They literally have entire play sessions written out in long form. Combine this with an example adventure, and dozens of helpful hints. I fail to see how any of the DMGs have ever failed to tell you how to DM.

tetrasodium

Legend
Supporter
Epic
"Hidden" by being in front, the things to read first.

It's illogical to think that people haven't read those words.
Why did you put "hidden" in quotemarks like that? Are you attributing it to me? I can't help but notice that there are only three posts using that word in this thread (one your post398) & prior to me hitting the [post reply] button on this one none are mine... The other two don't seem at all related. Half way through the first section of the introduction & the tail end of the worlds of adventure section is absolutely "buried in isolation"
What's lacking is the bit I bolded
It's literally the post you quoted
I'm aware of it. It's not ignored. Chargen rules are 11-15 in "Chapter 1: Step by Step character creation". The sections you note are buried at the tops of page 5&6 in isolation rather than being woven into the chargen guidance Alice Cindy Dave & Eddie could be directed to start collaborating on while the GM is busy helping Bob with hids much greater need or breaking from bob to talk one on one with someone else about their PC in the wrong place & lacking teeth that gives the GM room to make changes that make players feel like they are getting something good rather than a nerf. The same holds true of the DMG equivalent. Lacking a meeseeks box the GM needlessly faces a much higher bar if the players are not at a level where the GM doesn't actually need to teach them or do much to even "run" a session zero by failing to provide useful contextually relevant & meaningful text supporting players in a session zero.

I think it's unreasonable to not consider how the d&d community has a whole has grown much quicker to simply kneejerk blame the gm for any & all problems at the table no matter the problem. There were a lot of people who immediately made the leap to bad gm conflicting gm : player expectations with a bad gm who can't see that. Heck one person quoted me saying I was talking about the TCoE text complete with page numbers & section references for the quotes multiple times with huge fisked responses before noting in surprise that I was actually quoting what I noted I was quoting then did so a few more times before actually reading it. & noting they "read over those pages".
It seems that your own reply managing to skip over that shows why those sections you note are insufficient at providing
useful contextually relevant & meaningful text supporting players in a session zero.

bedir than

Full Moon Storyteller
Why did you put "hidden" in quotemarks like that? Are you attributing it to me? I can't help but notice that there are only three posts using that word in this thread (one your post398) & prior to me hitting the [post reply] button on this one none are mine... The other two don't seem at all related. Half way through the first section of the introduction & the tail end of the worlds of adventure section is absolutely "buried in isolation"
What's lacking is the bit I bolded
It's literally the post you quoted
It seems that your own reply managing to skip over that shows why those sections you note are insufficient at providing
useful contextually relevant & meaningful text supporting players in a session zero.
Hidden and buried are synonyms. You used buried in an absurd and counterintuitive way, as the information about D&D being a cooperative game is not buried, but part of its present and history – clearly communicated to everyone

That's a bit unfair. The Dawn War pantheon has four gods I'd consider "exclusive" to Greyhawk: Pelor, Kord, Tharizdun, and Vecna. There are a bunch of others that I'd consider to be more pan-D&D, because they are the racial gods of various humanoids and other creatures: Bahamut, Moradin, Corellon, Sehanine, Asmodeus, Lolth, Gruumsh, and Tiamat – though the Nentir Vale generally makes changes to these to make them more generically applicable (e.g. Moradin is the god of Family, Community, and Creation, and he's popular among dwarves because those are the kinds of things dwarves value, but you'd also find craftsmen of other races/species praying to Moradin). Heck, there's even a Forgotten Realms god, Bane, who made his way into the pantheon.
I'm fine with the Nentir Vale being merged into far-west Oerth as part of a multiversal "shift/event" that introduces those god variants to "Greyspace."

I think it's fine if Tiamat and Moradin and other multi-campaign gods are worshipped in different ways by different cultures/realms. I am very curious if Planescape or the 2024 multiversal story will cover that in more depth. Will they lean into the "echoes" of Gods and other entities described in Fizban's?

Ok, hear me out... the world of the Nentir Vale pretty much steals the gods and locales of Greyhawk

What if the Nentir Vale was shoehorned in to the world of Oerth? Maybe a continent other than Oerik?
Do Greyhawk fans want The Raven Queen, Ioun, Erathis, Melora, Evandra, or even Torog to immigrate? Or to take Bane and Zehir from both the Nentir Vale and the Realms? (Zehir coming from the Nentir Vale first). And that's almost half the Nentir Vale deities. (8/19 from memory)

And do Greyhawk players want the Dawn War? And the Primordials added to their cosmology, the Titans to the Gods, well, gods? That's a genuine question because it ties very closely to the themes of the Nentir Vale - but would also enhance the themes as I understand them of Greyhawk.

I also think that Greyhawk would be fine with there having been a Tiefling run empire in the past - but a powerful Dragonborn empire (Akhosia)? I think Greyhawk fans might riot at adding that.

In many ways the themes of the two are overlapping, but there's a heavy clash between the aesthetics.

Edit: And I can say now that Nentir Vale fans emphatically do not want the classic Great Wheel. We want to keep the Feywild and Shadowfell, and the Elemental Chaos is far far more interesting than the single element planes ever were. (We can work with the 5e version of the Great Wheel as the outer ring being someone's attempt to map the Astral Sea but it being a 'here be dragons' thing and that these planes all exist and are linked within the Astral Sea)

tetrasodium

Legend
Supporter
Epic
Hidden and buried are synonyms. You used buried in an absurd and counterintuitive way, as the information about D&D being a cooperative game is not buried, but part of its present and history – clearly communicated to everyone
No I did not...

Example Sentences​

The disclaimer was buried in the fine print.
The newspaper covered the story, but it was buried in the back of section C.

This is twice now you've replied to me about something near the start while missing the meaningful context & relevant words following it. You've once again demonstrated why burying the generalized snippets you note in an entirely different section on page 5&6 is not helpful to getting players getting contextually relevant guidance where they need to be on pages 11-15 at a time in the campaign where the GM is almost guaranteed to be switching between players quite a bit differently than any other point in the game

Remathilis

Legend
In the older editions up till 3.x at least players made PCs who faced a much higher bar of lethality with less easy recovery*. The GM could do things like providing cheap potions & wands of CLW or regularly handwave rest times. This alone provided mechanical pressure & a fast learning curve on the kinds of things players in the group should talk about during chargen to avoid another trainwreck like that. Even though "Session Zero" as a term & codified thing is a much more recently elevated thing it was extremely common for players to engage in it or similar well before it went from "meet up & make characters" to "Session Zero." Resting & recovery are so utterly trivialized in 5e while monsters are defanged from providing that pressure due to various bonkers baseline expectations (no magic item expectations no feat expectations, wackamole healing, etc). All of that combined means that the player facing chargen text can't just let that section on chargenride as it's always been.

None of what you address here is in any way relevant to your chief complaint (session zero should be addressed in player-facing material). It is instead a complaint that you can't beat your players into submission by witholding healing or magic and then pitching them into meatgrinders until they acknowledge the supremacy of the DM's playstyle. The D&D equivlaent to Stockholm Syndrome. It is Dominance/submission from a different kind of Dungeon Master. It's a playstyle D&D needs not nor should ever have perpetuated and I do not find its loss in any way lamentable.

bedir than

Full Moon Storyteller
No I did not...

This is twice now you've replied to me about something near the start while missing the meaningful context & relevant words following it. You've once again demonstrated why burying the generalized snippets you note in an entirely different section on page 5&6 is not helpful to getting players getting contextually relevant guidance where they need to be on pages 11-15 at a time in the campaign where the GM is almost guaranteed to be switching between players quite a bit differently than any other point in the game
Who are these players who create characters for the game without reading the introduction, without watching a How to Play video, without watching an actual play, without listening to any podcast and without reading a website about D&D being a cooperative game?

Related Articles

Remove ads

Remove ads