D&D (2024) Take A Closer Look At The 2024 Dungeon Master’s Guide

WotC shares video with a deeper dive

Wizards of the Coast has just shared a video delving into the upcoming One D&D Dungeon Master’s Guide, due for release in 2024.

Scroll down to post #4, below, for a more detailed text summary!
  • Chapter 1 -- basic concepts
  • Chapter 2 -- Advice, common issues
  • Chapter 3 -- Rules cyclopedia
  • Chapter 4 -- Adventure building
  • Chapter 5 -- Campaign building
  • Chapter 6 -- Cosmology
  • Chapter 7 -- Magic items
  • Chapter 8 -- 'A surprise'
  • Appendices -- maps, lore glossary

MNblockhead

A Title Much Cooler Than Anything on the Old Site
Gaming with complete strangers happens outside of AL. There's always a first time you meet people. A lot of my current friends are people I met because I was running an open-to-anyone game at the local game store. I've also nearly gotten into a fist fight in the same game store.
Okay, I need to read that story. Maybe a new thread: "When has a TTRPG led or almost led to in-world violence?"

Incenjucar

Legend
Fair enough. But then we’re back to the question of whether an extra paragraph in the PHB would be enough to stop someone inclined to fist fight…

Okay, I need to read that story. Maybe a new thread: "When has a TTRPG led or almost led to in-world violence?"
Alas, nothing terribly interesting. It was just a rude person holding up everyone's turn at a boardgame by having a conversation with someone at another table. When I asked them to take their turn, they responded with aggro, and I pointed out that threatening someone twice their size was stupid, we had a bit of a stare down, and eventually they took their turn, and I made a note to not share a table with them again.

Game stores are a great way to meet amazing lifelong friends, but also people you would wish to forget. Session 0 is a good time to identify the latter

Chaosmancer

Legend
Then again, it would never occur to me to have a character's wife cheat on them. I would happily have her kidnapped or become a target of the character's enemies but generally, I would not consider those types of stories. I would never willingly do something to embarrass a player or cause grief.

It seems to me that a lot of these solutions are meant to solve issues where the person should not be playing in that game in the first place.

And this gets down to "what have you experienced" Because I vividly remember a convention game where the GM went out of their way to embarrass me as a player. And sure, maybe I should have just called my ticket a loss and walked away, but I can also see this sort of behavior causing someone to instead try and find solutions that don't involve that.

It just seems to me that those systems are a "Better to have it, and not need it, than need it and not have it" situation.

A: It's an objective fact that steps 1-5 of the "chapter 1 step by step character creation" will result in a fully completed character before step6 for the first time in chapter 1 step by step character creation" mentions working with anyone or even admits the existence of the gm/other players.
You’re ignoring the introduction existing which mentions players and the DM talking.

tetrasodium

Legend
Supporter
Epic
You’re ignoring the introduction existing which mentions players and the DM talking.
No I'm not, you are demonstrating how useless that section is for anything but resisting efforts from the gm to correct bad expectations too. That's a pretty obvious way of telling me you did not finish reading the post you partially quoted without saying it too. The unquoted text in the rest of that post you quoted literally explains why itgst section insufficient while citing both page numbers and section of the book where it's found. .

Chaosmancer

Legend
No I'm not, you are demonstrating how useless that section is for anything but resisting efforts from the gm to correct bad expectations too. That's a pretty obvious way of telling me you did not finish reading the post you partially quoted without saying it too. The unquoted text in the rest of that post you quoted literally explains why itgst section insufficient while citing both page numbers and section of the book where it's found. .

Right, but your "explanation" is that "both RAW & plain reading of the chargen & session zero stuff is very one sided in supporting why should MY character "& "why should I be railroaded into THAT setting?" because A doesn't even mention anyone but ME & MY character"

Or to translate, you think that the section that says this is a team game and people should work together can be dismissed because the character creation section talks to an individual player, and therefore everyone will be entirely self-absorbed and forget that whole team thing, because it is all about ME ME ME.

Which, again, any person who sits down to cooperative game and says "Well the book only told me to make MY character, so nothing else matters!" has fundamentally failed the to have the social skills learned in Kindergarten. So, unless you are playing with five year olds, you should be able to handle this pretty easily. And the rule books didn't assume the players were five and didn't understand what the word "team" means.

UngainlyTitan

Legend
Supporter
If you are down to citing page numbers and rules lawyering at chargen then the social contract has already broken down and the DM should boot the player or refuse to run the game.

Remove ads

Remove ads