D&D (2024) Take A Closer Look At The 2024 Dungeon Master’s Guide

WotC shares video with a deeper dive

Wizards of the Coast has just shared a video delving into the upcoming One D&D Dungeon Master’s Guide, due for release in 2024.

Scroll down to post #4, below, for a more detailed text summary!
  • Chapter 1 -- basic concepts
  • Chapter 2 -- Advice, common issues
  • Chapter 3 -- Rules cyclopedia
  • Chapter 4 -- Adventure building
  • Chapter 5 -- Campaign building
  • Chapter 6 -- Cosmology
  • Chapter 7 -- Magic items
  • Chapter 8 -- 'A surprise'
  • Appendices -- maps, lore glossary

by that logic the session zero section is entirely without purpose because anyone sitting down with friends, or acquaintances that some future day one hopes to become friends, will ever have this problem. Maybe if your twelve or thirteen you might need it.
No, not by that logic. Session zero still is valuable because it allows players and DMs to do exactly what I just said:
talk, and discuss, and understand the game

tetrasodium

Legend
Supporter
Epic
If this is an AL problem (which would make sense, since where else would you be gaming with complete strangers), wouldn’t it make sense for it to be an AL solution, not a core book one?

I know nothing about AL (which is probably why this potential issue baffles me), but isn’t there a set of AL rules? How to make a legal AL character, which books are allowed, etc? Wouldn’t that be the best place to emphasize and address the issues tetrasodium is seeing? At the very least, wouldn’t gameshops have sign up sheets or flyers where it could be called out?
Kind of. Pretty much standard chargen with selections from a list of magic items that changes from "season" to season & the GM is limited to running the HC adventures or other "approved adventures."* That's the reason why the earlier explosion a couple pages back over the idea that AL shields a GM from the social contract if they just say that the adventure is what the mayor hired the group to do.

People aren't wrong about how these sorts of disconnects over "MY character" start to clear up when you go from AL to non-AL games, but they are missing or ignoring the critical sticking point that makes it still a problem. That sticking point is that a huge percentage of players enter the hobby through AL or join non-AL groups of people they met at AL games. Someone needs to correct the bad assumptions/bad expectations that couldn't be an issue in AL & at that point while the text does everything to enable the sorts of stonewalling discussed.

* I think that's the term

Chaosmancer

Legend
Kind of. Pretty much standard chargen with selections from a list of magic items that changes from "season" to season & the GM is limited to running the HC adventures or other "approved adventures."* That's the reason why the earlier explosion a couple pages back over the idea that AL shields a GM from the social contract if they just say that the adventure is what the mayor hired the group to do.

People aren't wrong about how these sorts of disconnects over "MY character" start to clear up when you go from AL to non-AL games, but they are missing or ignoring the critical sticking point that makes it still a problem. That sticking point is that a huge percentage of players enter the hobby through AL or join non-AL groups of people they met at AL games. Someone needs to correct the bad assumptions/bad expectations that couldn't be an issue in AL & at that point while the text does everything to enable the sorts of stonewalling discussed.

* I think that's the term

I know you are going to not like the answer, but the answer is pretty obvious. The person who is responsible for correcting the bad assumptions are the most experienced people at the table, the people who know better.

tetrasodium

Legend
Supporter
Epic
I know you are going to not like the answer, but the answer is pretty obvious. The person who is responsible for correcting the bad assumptions are the most experienced people at the table, the people who know better.
I know you've been pretty focused on fisking posts so get the feeling you might have missed it. You caught the part where wotc themselves did a good bit to set those bad expectations both in published material & youtube videos over the years as described

Belen

Adventurer
I do not get this session 0, consent form or red card mindset. I have never been in a group where this would be needed or required and I have been GMing since '93.

As a GM, I do set boundaries. The players cannot be evil. The players cannot make characters with backgrounds that would prevent them from working in a group. I call it the "do not be a jerk" rule.

If I recruit new players or form a new group of strangers, then I meet people separately to see if we will get along and if they would want to play in my style of game. I spend a lot of time developing campaign worlds and scenarios for players. I will usually sit down with players to discuss whether a race/ancestry/heritage/species/etc, class, etc will fit. I always provide a list of available or excluded options. I do often exclude classes or race/ancestry/heritage/species/etc for certain worlds or campaigns. I will also work with players to build a custom class option.

If a player shows up with a mindset that they can dictate, then they can find another game and that it cool. As a GM, I want to have fun too and that often shows up in my homebrews because I want to have different themes for my campaigns.

I do not get this session 0, consent form or red card mindset. I have never been in a group where this would be needed or required and I have been GMing since '93.

As a GM, I do set boundaries. The players cannot be evil. The players cannot make characters with backgrounds that would prevent them from working in a group. I call it the "do not be a jerk" rule.
I suspect that's because you've been GMing since 93 and play a pretty 'emotionally safe' game. No evil characters, no PVP, no on-screen sex or even last minute fade to black. Nothing at all wrong with that.

As you were a DM in the 90s do you remember what the Vampire: the Masquerade players were doing at the time. Because it wasn't dungeon crawls or high fantasy quests. Instead it was sex, politics, and charged violence. It's the successors to the people who'd have been playing Vampire in the 90s that want consent forms and red cards.

Chaosmancer

Legend
I know you've been pretty focused on fisking posts so get the feeling you might have missed it. You caught the part where wotc themselves did a good bit to set those bad expectations both in published material & youtube videos over the years as described

No, they didn't.

Let's take your "objective truth" the PHB lists five steps to get through before they mention working with the DM. Okay. Do you know how I've pretty much always built characters, and always suggested to the players? Class, Ability Scores, Race, Equipment, Backstory. Or, to translate for you, #2 #3 #1 #5 #4. And I did this even before 5e came out and had these suggestions. And the reason I don't include #6, talking the GM, is because it depends on the game. Sometimes I make a character then get a chance to talk to the GM directly. Other times we talk through every step of the process. So, yes, it is an objective truth about the order of 1 thru 6, but that doesn't extend to any truth about the players never wanting to work with the DM, or any truth that they will follow those steps in that order.

So, despite you feeling like I am purposefully overlooking and denying your "truth" the problem is that you are taking something and expounding upon it incorrectly. You are taking the order of the steps and declaring "AHA! This is why complete strangers who are supposed to show up with pre-made AL characters show up with pre-made AL characters without talking to me! Their DM they haven't met yet!" There are other factors at play.

Edit: I just realized, you still never answered what about a character's personality requires it to be made by comittee. Are you just going to ignore the question?

Last edited:

Belen

Adventurer
As you were a DM in the 90s do you remember what the Vampire: the Masquerade players were doing at the time. Because it wasn't dungeon crawls or high fantasy quests. Instead it was sex, politics, and charged violence. It's the successors to the people who'd have been playing Vampire in the 90s that want consent forms and red cards.
I played 1 session in collage of Vampire: The Masquerade. I never returned to it.

Chaosmancer

Legend

I'll admit to being slightly unsure sometimes about the Red-card/ X-card system. But then again, I also heard a horror story from a friend of mine. When he was younger, and running a game for his current wife, he had her female character almost sexually assaulted. He got caught up in the RP and the scene, and didn't think it through. He feels horrible about it, and she forgave him years ago, but it sticks with him as a reminder.

For myself, I don't think I really need a card, because I like to think the players know they can speak up, but I certainly can understand the reason it exists.

If I recruit new players or form a new group of strangers, then I meet people separately to see if we will get along and if they would want to play in my style of game. I spend a lot of time developing campaign worlds and scenarios for players. I will usually sit down with players to discuss whether a race/ancestry/heritage/species/etc, class, etc will fit. I always provide a list of available or excluded options. I do often exclude classes or race/ancestry/heritage/species/etc for certain worlds or campaigns. I will also work with players to build a custom class option.

You realize that sitting down with your players to discuss whether game elements will fit, and talking to them about your world, is a session zero right? Like, the thing you say you don't get and don't require is the thing you do.

If a player shows up with a mindset that they can dictate, then they can find another game and that it cool. As a GM, I want to have fun too and that often shows up in my homebrews because I want to have different themes for my campaigns.

Well, that depends on what they are dictating for me.

A player comes in and says "I have 1 MILLION gold and an army of servants equipped with magical swords that fire swords!" Yeah, no, bad joke. Let's be serious.

But, I myself have set terms before. I played a campaign I was very excited for, and to tie my character to the setting I made someone who had a life in the city we were based out of. Specifically, he had a wife. However, I told the DM I had zero interest in any story where my character's wife, who loved him dearly, cheated on him. I knew we would be away for long periods of time, I knew the DM would put her in danger, but I told them I did not want a story where she was unfaithful to my paladin. That... is dictating. That is me telling you the DM what is acceptable, but also... I don't think that really crosses a line most people would find objectionable.

This is why I really don't like hard stances on this issue. Obviously there are players who are terrible and say or demand stupid stuff, because they have the maturity of a 5 year old. But also, there are players who are mature, respectful, and just are looking to establish boundaries. And I never really trust a DM who refuses to let me set boundaries, because they must be the sole arbiter of everything. It begins to feel like they don't care about my enjoyment of the game if it might infringe upon their "vision".

Belen

Adventurer
This is why I really don't like hard stances on this issue. Obviously there are players who are terrible and say or demand stupid stuff, because they have the maturity of a 5 year old. But also, there are players who are mature, respectful, and just are looking to establish boundaries. And I never really trust a DM who refuses to let me set boundaries, because they must be the sole arbiter of everything. It begins to feel like they don't care about my enjoyment of the game if it might infringe upon their "vision".
I tend to favor the players who give me decent backstories that tie into the world. It makes it easier to develop content that would be meaningful to the character.

I guess I am reacting to something I saw on the DDB forums where players are talking about telling the DM that they cannot include ghosts or spirits in a campaign between it triggers them.

Then again, it would never occur to me to have a character's wife cheat on them. I would happily have her kidnapped or become a target of the character's enemies but generally, I would not consider those types of stories. I would never willingly do something to embarrass a player or cause grief.

It seems to me that a lot of these solutions are meant to solve issues where the person should not be playing in that game in the first place.

Also, I have been forced to be the GM since '94 except for a recent game with Crothian so I hav limited experience as a player, much to my regret.

Remove ads

Remove ads