• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Take enemy weapon with Mage Hand

Gadget

Adventurer
I think many are forgetting that only Arcane Tricksters with the 'Ranged Legerdemain' ability is allowed to use Mage Hand to do things like pick someone's pocket and such. I would put disarming someone of a weapon (not in hand, put say slung over shoulder or sheathed) into this category. Otherwise you're shortchanging the Arcane Trickster's abilities. I can't check right now, but doesn't Mage Hand say unattended object? I would classify something on my person, even if not held in hand, as attended.

Pjack

Explorer
I think many are forgetting that only Arcane Tricksters with the 'Ranged Legerdemain' ability is allowed to use Mage Hand to do things like pick someone's pocket and such. I would put disarming someone of a weapon (not in hand, put say slung over shoulder or sheathed) into this category. Otherwise you're shortchanging the Arcane Trickster's abilities. I can't check right now, but doesn't Mage Hand say unattended object? I would classify something on my person, even if not held in hand, as attended.

Mage Hand is not restricted to objects that are not "worn or carried".

Yeah, that's a good point about the Arcane Trickster. I'd want to allow any character with Mage Hand to try it, but I'd want to make sure that the 'Ranged Legerdemain' ability is always better. I'll have to take a look at the book later and figure out what Ranged Legerdemain actually does.

Zorku

First Post
I'll have to take a look at the book later and figure out what Ranged Legerdemain actually does.

Legerdemain adds the options of stow/retrieve objects in containers worn by other creatures, and picking locks/disarming traps with thieve's tools at range. It specifies that a sleight of hand check will make these actions unnoticed, so RAW you still manage to snatch up the bow even if the guard notices something wangling his belongings. I think RAI the limit on interacting with worn containers is more in the case of unwilling creatures, but I don't have any tweets or sage advice to back this interpretation up.

Additionally controlling the hand falls under Cunning action (lets you use a bonus action for some stuff that is normally an action,) and you can make the hand invisible (no-brainer for pick pocketing the weapons of guards RAI.)

As the hand is fairly weak and presumably plenty visible when cast without the Legerdemain feature I think you'd need a little extra help to pull it off.
Have the hand go all Addams Family Thing and scamper between buckets and other floor doodads with a stealth check maybe?

fba827

Adventurer
If I were making an on the spot ruling at my table ( presuming I'm even understanding the situation correctly) I'd be weary of stealing a key trick of the arcane rogue, so I might rule something like ....
Caster's int check vs defender's wisdom(perception). Defender only has to be aware of it to extort the minimal effort needed to stop it as a free action. And if the defender is even aware of the caster then I'd give the check disadvantage.

Again just an off-the-cuff thought. Not sure if I'm opening a can of worms and would give it more thought

Pjack

Explorer
OK, I had a chance to look up the Trickster Rogue's Mage Hand Legerdemain. It pretty specifically is about taking things to or from a container being worn by another creature. So I wouldn't allow another class to transfer items into or out of a container with Mage Hand, unless there were extenuating circumstances. I would allow an attempt to pick up an unheld bow (or snip a bowstring) with Mage Hand, allowing the target a Dexterity save.

Hmm, a dexterity save is also a good idea. Using spell DC? Probably put at disadvantage so if spell save DC is 13 it would be 8.

Last edited:

sleypy

Explorer
I would only allow mage hand to take an unfastened item, and only on immobilized or fully stationary target, during combat. Outside of combat, I would allow it. I would use an appropriate skill check based on the situation.

I would let mage hand be used to hinder as an action because even if a mage hand isn't dexterous enough to land an attack its failed attempts would still be a distraction.

Remove ads