• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Tales of the Legacy - Concluded

Delemental

First Post
Sarabian1 said:
If, however, her home plan is Aelfenn itself, then the humans may be considered her elemental servitors.

Ooh, ooh! Does that mean I can take levels in the Elemental Savant prestige class, and instead of choosing fire or earth or any of those, I can pick 'human'? Then I could be...

...wait for it...

more human than human! :lol:

(I'd have to change my character's name to Rob, though...)

(And the best part is, he has to wait until tomorrow night to throw things at me for that!)

Delemental

First Post
Autumn remained in Vargas to prepare for the influx of refugees from the Archipelago. Her mother Auror was still staying in the manor, and was eager to offer her expertise on emergency planning. Xu also remained behind, foreseeing that Autumn might have need of a swift messenger. And with Iria staying at the manor with Elianora, Tolly now only had three women to worry about; King Bali’s daughters, and his new apprentice Crystal.

It was nearing sunset by the time the remaining members of the Legacy cleared the gate at Aleppi and wind walked their way to Trageon. They saw the Tower long before they arrived at the city, its dark surface jutting upward like a scar on the afternoon sky. When they arrived, Arrie went to the Tower to try and convince the scholars there to begin collecting what information they had about the Tauric Empire, while the others proceeded to the church of Ardara in Trageon.

“We will make our request for an audience with the prime minister through Tribute Hadar,” Tolly said. “As an established spiritual authority in the city, I imagine Father Hadar will have enough clout to get our foot in the door. After that, we should be able to drop enough names to get their attention. Osborn, if you want to…”

Tolly turned to see that the hin was nowhere to be found. Tolly scanned the crowds for a moment, and then shrugged and went on his way. If there had been trouble, either Osborn or Rupert would have raised an alarm. Osborn knew where they were heading, and knew the city well. Besides that, the hin had mentioned having contacts in town that could help. Tolly had every confidence that Osborn could take care of himself.

Tolly walked into the church and swept past the acolytes with hardly a second glance, as the three women with him hurried to keep up. Tolly had made sure that the seal of the Inquisitor Primus was plainly visible before approaching the temple, and had instructed Crystal to unveil her own Inquisitorial trappings. This had the desired result; no one challenged their passage into the temple’s inner chambers or their presenting at the offices of the Tribute.

Father Hadar was an old man, though he still appeared robust. It was no secret that he was ready to retire; the office of the Tribute in Trageon had been presented as an option to Tolly months ago by Archprelate Frelarr, before he was offered the job of Inquisitor Primus. Seeing his old mentor for the first time in three years, Tolly could not help but notice how much he seemed to have aged.

“Brother Nightsleaving?” Hadar exclaimed, as Tolly walked into his office. Smiling, the old man rose and crossed the room, embracing Tolly like a lost son.

“You’ve come up quite a way since we last spoke, my boy!” he said, beaming. “In more ways than one. I used to be taller than you. Either you’ve grown, or I’ve shrunk.”

“I am a bit taller, Father,” said Tolly.

“And more popular too, I see,” Hadar said, glancing at the women behind him.

“Oh, of course. This is Lajila and Nidru, daughters of King Bali of the Red Archipelago, who are currently under my protection. And this is Crystal, one of our own sisters, now apprenticed to me. This is Hadar, Tribute of Ardara.”

The three women bowed respectfully, a gesture that Hadar returned. “I take it that you’re here on official business, then?”

“I’m afraid it has to be. I need to get in to see the prime minister as soon as possible.”

“I see. Unfortunately, he’s a rather busy man. I’ll see what I can do, but…”

“What I need to inform him about,” Tolly said, “is a possible invasion fleet from the Tauric Empire. The fleet will reach and overwhelm the Red Archipelago within two weeks, and then continue on to Affon. Their numbers appear sufficient to completely blockade Targeth if they chose.”

Hadar turned pale. “I’ll see what I can do, but I can’t make any promises.”

“Feel free to invoke the office of the Inquisitor Primus if you need to,” Tolly said. “I’m also here with Ariadne Verahannen, Imperial Princess of Tlaxan.”

“I’ll drop the appropriate names,” Hadar grinned.

“Excellent,” Tolly said. “Now, while I’m waiting, where are the kitchens?”

“Right where they’ve always been,” said Hadar. “You remember washing all those dishes, right?”

“I do,” admitted Tolly. “I just wanted to say hello to the cooks. I’ve also got to find a tailor to get some proper attire for these women.”

“Picking out women’s clothing?” Father Hadar gasped as he shuffled toward the door. “My goodness, Tolly, you have changed.” Before leaving, Hadar looked at Tolly again, his expression grave. “Is it really that bad, Tolly?”

“The only description we have for the number of ships approaching from the Tauric Empire is ‘all of them’,” Tolly said. “Even if they aren’t hostile, it’s not going to be pretty.”

* * *​

Osborn knew he’d made contact with the Shadow Hand when someone tried to pick his pocket.

“Hey!” he said, grabbing hold of the pickpocket’s wrist. It belonged to a young human boy, no more than fourteen, who squirmed and wriggled to get free, but couldn’t break the hin’s grasp.

“That’s not how you do that!” Osborn chided, and he pulled the protesting youth off to a dark alley nearby. Pulling off his gloves, Osborn held out his hands, clearly revealing the network of faint tattoos on his right hand that made it appear slightly darker than the left. Seeing this, the boy relaxed.

Osborn gave the young boy a few quick tips on his craft, then looked at the boy sternly. “I need to speak to the Guild master,” he said.

“The master?” said the boy. “No one sees the master.”

“Go to one of the lieutenants,” Osborn said. “Tell them Slip is back in town. They’ll see me.”

The boy ran off, while Osborn and Rupert waited in the alley. He spent several minutes preparing himself mentally for the upcoming meeting; he hadn’t been ‘Slip’ in years, and he didn’t particularly enjoy the experience the first time. But it had served a higher purpose then, just as it would now.

Osborn knew he was being watched, and sensed someone approaching, even though he couldn’t see anyone.

“Good to see you, Slip,” said a voice.

“Been a long time, Noose,” he replied.

A tiefling stepped out from behind a pile of refuse. He was an older tiefling, perhaps in his sixties. They clasped hands, and immediately slipped into a casual banter about politics and the weather that hid their true conversation.

“I need to see the boss,” Osborn said.

“Sure,” said Noose. “Follow me.” They left the alley and began walking down the street, heading for the tunnels that led into the Undercity. “You haven’t been around for a while.”

“I’ve been traveling,” Osborn said. “I got into the Tower for a while, and after that ended up joining an adventuring party. You may have heard of them – the Legacy?”

“Sounds vaguely familiar, but we don’t get a lot of news from the outside world that doesn’t pertain to the profession.”

“Well, I have some information that the boss can use. I was recently in the Red Archipelago…”

Noose grinned. “I’ve had some good vacations there. Any time you get to bed a paladin, makes you feel like you got away with something.”

“Well, I would have had a good time, if it wasn’t for some trouble heading this way.”

Noose’s smile quickly inverted. “Do the other lieutenants need in on this, too?”

“Yeah, probably.”

They finally arrived at the guild house. Osborn, of course, had known where it was the whole time, but also knew better than to approach uninvited. He and Noose walked in, and Osborn was shown to a small room.

“Wait here,” the tiefling said. “I’ll come get you when he’s ready.” Noose looked down at Osborn. “Good to see you back, Slip. Wasn’t the same around here after that botched job that you and Darkglove were on. I’m glad you didn’t get offed like he did.”

“Me too, Noose,” grinned Osborn. Of course, Osborn didn’t mention the one part of that tale that no one but he and one of the city guard knew; that Osborn himself had been the one who killed Darkglove, retribution for a robbery of the circus he’d grown up in. ‘Slip’s’ standing in the guild would worsen considerably if that news ever came out; Darkglove had been one of the master’s favorite lieutenants.

Osborn waited another twenty minutes before Noose came to get him. He was led deep into the guildhall, to a dark room dominated by a V-shaped table. Osborn stood in the middle, between the two arms of the V, while the Shadow Hand’s lieutenants flanked him on either side. At the vertex of the table, shrouded in shadow, was the master. No one ever saw the master, or even knew his (or her?) name. Osborn knew that the guild master of the Shadow Hand was warded with potent magic protecting his identity.

“You have your meeting,” said Noose, taking his seat at the table. “What news do you have?”

Osborn related the information that they’d learned about the approaching armada from the Tauric Empire. He was careful to gloss over certain details (he figured that claiming to have spoken to a dragon would get him laughed out of the room), but also careful to explain exactly who and what the Tauric Empire was. After all, the majority of people in Affon had no idea that a large continent ruled by animal-human hybrids even existed, much less only a few hundred miles north.

“So, what is it you want from us?” asked the master, in a voice that was neither male nor female, neither familiar nor unfamiliar.

“I want us to get the word out to our outlying guilds, especially in the Expanse,” Osborn said.

One of the lieutenants, a fire-touched known as Cinder, scoffed. “Sounds awfully charitable. What’s in it for us, Slip?”

Osborn knew he had to tread carefully. After all, he was dealing with a thieves’ guild, not a group of altruistic do-gooders. “Well, for one thing, even though we’re safe behind the shield here in Targeth, they aren’t. No sense losing good people in a surprise attack. Besides, if we tell the other guilds, and they make the proper preparations…”

“Wartime profiteering?” the master finished. “A lucrative business, especially if you can get the inside track before anyone knows there’s a problem.”

“Exactly,” Osborn agreed.

“Very well,” the master said. “We’ll notify the branch guildmasters of the impending attack. The information is appreciated.” Although Osborn couldn’t see the master’s face, he felt like the head of the Shadow Hand was staring at him intently. “Will you be returning to the fold, then, Slip?”

“I’m afraid not,” Osborn said. “If I came back now, it would raise too many questions – more trouble than it would be worth to the guild.”

“Questioners can be dealt with,” said Noose.

“The questioners are both persistent, and highly placed,” Osborn explained. “Hardly worth the effort just to bring back one hin with sticky fingers. I’ll be glad to help train some of the new blood while I’m here. The pickpockets seem a little sloppy.”

Filch, the lieutenant who was in charge of what the Shadow Hand referred to as ‘back alley jobs’ like pickpockets and muggings, scowled. The others chuckled.

“Anything else, Slip?” the master asked.

“Just this.” Osborn produced a good-sized diamond from a pocket, and set it on the table close to the guildmaster. “This should cover the dues I’ve missed while I was away,” he said.

“And then some,” the master replied, reaching out with a gloved hand and pocketing the gem. “You may go about your business, Master Greenbottle.”

Osborn quickly left the room, suppressing his smile until he was out of the guild house and well on his way back to the temple of Ardara. In informing the outlying guilds of the impending attack, those guildmasters would be certain to pass the news on to their government contacts, and from there it would go to the militias and the populace. Under the guise of promoting ‘war profiteering’, the Shadow Hand would effectively spread the news of the armada far more quickly than they ever could alone. It never ceased to amaze Osborn how simple it was sometimes to get people to do the right thing, even if they only thought they were doing the right thing for themselves.

Now, as the sun set behind the massive bulk of the Tower, and the floating crystalline islands that comprised the Upper City began to reflect the lights of the Middle City, Osborn hoped it would be enough.

* * *​

Arrie, Tolly, and Osborn painted a suitably horrific impression on the Prime Minister. The Minister, a human as old as Father Hadar but much more feeble, at first listened impassively, and began to recite rote answers about the impenetrability of Targeth’s arcane barriers, and how the Empire was not obligated to see to the well-being of its neighbors. But then Arrie began to vividly describe the effects of several months of complete blockades on Targeth, and how eventually the Taurics could mass their forces and overwhelm the nation’s armies at the three gateways. Then Tolly pointed out that the Tauric Empire’s capabilities were unknown, but since their population was much greater than Affon’s, it stood to reason that they might have enough arcanists of sufficient power to negate the shields entirely. That got the Minister’s attention.

“I’ll pass this information on the appropriate sub-bureaus,” he said.

Tolly and Arrie sighed, but knew that when dealing with Targeth’s bureaucracy, this was about the best result they could hope for. “Thank you, Prime Minister,” said Tolly, bowing.

As they left, Arrie looked around at the chunks of the Upper City floating nearby. “I managed to bribe enough people in the Tower that they agreed to collect the material they have on the Taurics for us. I’ve reserved a room there we can use.”

“Excellent. Let me get Lajila and Nidru back to the temple, and then Crystal and I will join you.”

“I’ll have to pass,” Osborn said. “I made some promises to people in order to help get the word out about the fleet. I’ll be busy for a couple of days.”

“So,” Arrie said, “we’ve told everyone we can possibly think of about the Tauric armada, we’ve started preparations to evacuate the Red Archipelago, and we’ve even got a nice, cryptic prophecy to mull over. The question is, what do we do now?”

“I wish I knew, Arrie,” Tolly sighed. “I wish I knew.”

* * *​

It was a few more days before everyone met again in Vargas. It was less than a cheerful reunion.

“We don’t know much more than when we started,” Kyle said, clearly unhappy. “The Tauric Empire has a strict caste system. Tauric creatures, like centaurs, minotaurs, wemics, harpies, and the like, form the ruling class. The empire’s police and military forces are composed of lycanthropes. The majority of the citizens are the slaves – various humanoid races.”

“How big a majority?” Autumn asked.

“Conservative estimates place the Tauric Empire’s population at about 300 million,” said Tolly. Like Kyle and Lanara, their own research at the Tower had turned up woefully little information. “Of that, it’s thought that two or three percent are taurics, and an additional five percent or so are lycanthropes.”

“Three hundred million,” sighed Arrie, shaking her head. “The whole population of Affon’s less than sixty million.”

“And far less organized,” Kyle observed. “The Tauric fleet is presumably all under one chain of command. We’ve got six sovereign nations, plus the Steppes, the Expanse, and the Haran Desert.”

“Anything else?” asked Xu.

“They do practice arcane magic,” Kyle said, “and there are far more practitioners of nature magic there than there are here. They do have clerics, but only for the One and the Four; they consider the Many too weak, and too humanoid in nature to deserve worship.”

“Well, while you were doing that,” Autumn said, “the refugees from the Red Archipelago have been arriving. A fleet from the Peca Provinces arrived to help transport most of them. My duchy is currently hosting about a hundred and fifty thousand, many of them from King Bali’s islands.”

“Lajila and Nidru should rejoin their people as soon as possible,” Tolly said. “They’ll need the reassurance of seeing some form of leadership among them. I’m assuming, of course, that the king and his sons remained behind.”

Autumn nodded. “About a hundred thousand stayed behind to challenge the Tauric fleet,” Autumn said.

“Any word on where the fleet is?” asked Lanara.

“When we left, we were guessing about ten days until the fleet reached the islands,” Osborn said. “So they’ll get there in the next two or three days.”

“So, unfortunately, we’ll have to wait to plan our kidnapping,” Arrie said, referring to their plan of abducting a Tauric officer for information on why they were invading. “Until they’ve stopped at the Archipelago, it’s going to be impossible to set up anything.”

“Well, Tolly and I can try and keep an eye on things from here,” Kyle said. “We can also consult Erito through Maddie’s relic at some point. Anything else anyone wants to do before our doom arrives?”

“We’re not doomed yet,” Autumn said. “The good news is that the leaders of Affon are meeting to organize a response. Merlion is hosting the conference. The bad news is that it’ll be about ten more days before everyone can arrive.”

“Mother must be thrilled,” Arrie said. “She finally gets to play hostess to the whole world.”

“Even Targeth is coming?” said Osborn, surprised.

“Yes, as are the hin clans from the Steppes and the orc clans from the Haran.”

“I’m surprised about Targeth,” Osborn commented. “I half expected them to send an envoy to the Taurics instead.”

“You know,” said Tolly, “I’m not so sure we shouldn’t be going out there and negotiating with the Tauric Empire as the Legacy.”

“Ooh! I’ll try it!” said Lanara.

“I like the idea,” said Kyle, “but the leaders of Affon’s nations will need to decide if they want to parley, and who they want to do it. It does little good if we go out there; even if by some miracle we made a deal, the nations are under no obligation to honor it.”

“I agree with Kyle,” Autumn said. “We need to let the leaders do their job. The strategic defense of Affon is out of our hands.”

“There are better ways to apply our expertise,” Kyle said. “There’s the kidnapping, of course. But we could also look into what caused the Tauric Empire to come sailing south looking for trouble in the first place, and put a stop to it. Remember Tishalullé’s vision? ‘That which had fallen has risen again – as a rock thrown into a hornet’s nest’. If we can find out what it is that’s ‘risen’, we might be able to affect it. I was hoping for some sort of clue in our research, but we’ve got nothing on the Empire’s history.”

“I still say it’s a slave revolt,” Lanara said. “They came here because they lost control of their country.”

“It’s possible,” Arrie said. “As are a lot of other things. But what Tolly said about negotiating got me thinking. There is a chance that we actually will be chosen to represent Affon in parley, because of our political connections. If that happens, it’ll look bad if a few days earlier we kidnapped one of their admirals. Maybe we ought to reconsider the abduction plan.”

“Hold on,” Tolly said. “Let’s settle this question.” He pulled out a few items, and performed a brief ritual. “Ardara,” Tolly intoned, “will attempting to abduct a citizen of the Tauric Empire for information bring us weal or woe?”

He tossed a set of polished stones into a marble bowl, and then looked at how the stones landed. “I don’t think I’ve ever seen an augury come back with that strong of a ‘woe’,” he said.

“What if we try infiltrating them?” Lanara asked. “I could probably do it.”

“Lanara, you’re a talented performer and a skilled liar, and I’m sure with magical help you’d do a great job, but we know nothing about their culture,” Arrie said. “We don’t even know if they speak Common. We’d get caught.”

“I suppose you’re right,” Lanara sighed.

“We don’t need to decide everything now,” Autumn said. “Let’s wait and watch a few days.”

“And just hope it’s not a few days too late,” Kyle sighed.

Sinewgrab

Explorer
Hurray! A GM made his appearance! Now we just need to drag the rest of the crew here. It is good to see that people are reading the story hour. We keep telling him he is doing really well, and now he is finally starting to believe us.

'Tolly'

Last edited:

Delemental

First Post
Three days later, the Tauric armada reached the Red Archipelago. Two days after that, the survivors arrived in the port city of Erum.

There were less than fifty.

The intelligence gathered from the surviving warriors was less than heartening. The phrase ‘uncountable enemies’ saw frequent use. No one knew the fate of the Seven Kings, and they were presumed lost, as were the Seven Treasures of Tul-Antha. One slim ray of hope was that the Empire’s many ships appeared to have taken a severe beating from the recent storm, and so it appeared the fleet would remain at the Archipelago for several days, stripping the islands for wood, food, and fresh water. From what the party gathered, an attempt to kidnap a Tauric officer would be futile; there were so many Imperial soldiers crammed into the ships and on the islands that any surprise attackers would be quickly overwhelmed.

Hoping to learn more about the fate of the islands’ leaders, the party attempted to scry on those they’d met. Tolly tried to see the old hermit wizard who lived near the Tree of Life and Death, but his spell was resisted, and he saw nothing.

“As least we know he’s alive to resist it,” Lanara observed.

When Kyle tried to scry on King Bali, the results were even more strange. Kyle completed the spell, and felt himself make contact with the King. Then there was a sudden flash of blinding white light, so intense it could be seen for miles outside the walls of Vargas Manor. Then the spell ended, and Kyle’s scrying mirror shattered. He blinked away the spots from his eyes as Autumn went to his aid.

“What happened?” she asked.

“I’m not sure,” he said.

“Anti-divination magic?” Tolly suggested, as he came over and healed a few minor abrasions.

“Maybe,” he said, “but I made contact with him, briefly, before the energy surge. Usually, wards would keep me from getting even that far.”

“An energy surge?” Autumn asked. “Could it be that you connected with Bali’s soul in the afterlife?”

“No, it wouldn’t work like that,” Tolly said. “Psionics?”

“I’m not sure,” Kyle admitted.

“What about that artifact?” Lanara asked. “The Crown of Tul-Antha?”

“It could have interfered,” Kyle said, “but I don’t think…”

“What about all of the artifacts?” asked Autumn. “It’s possible that they brought them all together out of desperation.”

“And set off some sort of magical chain reaction,” mused Tolly.
“So I technically did reach King Bali,” Kyle concluded, “but he may not exactly be ‘King Bali’ any more.”

They all looked at each other. “I suggest we not tell that to Lajila and Nidru,” Tolly said.

“But they owe me a new mirror,” Kyle said. When all he got were stares, he threw up his hands. “I was kidding, people! A little levity in the face of certain doom, all right?”

The party’s other attempts at divinations were not much more useful. None of their other scrying attempts were successful, and all their divination questions seemed to return vague, generic answers. They even asked Iria’s tutor, Elianora, if she could help, but the seeress declined, telling them that her most potent powers required her to utilize her own life-force, a price she was unwilling to pay for people she’d known less than two weeks.

Finally, the party approached Maddie in order to commune with Erito. Everyone was clearly getting nervous and a little desperate; the most obvious sign was that Arrie remained in the room while Maddie performed the ceremony, rather than leave to avoid unnecessary divine attention.

Kyle was chosen as the group’s speaker*. “Was the Tauric invasion instigated by a caste uprising?” he asked.

NO.

“So much for my theory,” Lanara pouted.

“Do the psions have any role in the Tauric invasion?”

UNCLEAR.

“Well, I think we expected that answer,” Arrie commented. They’d long ago realized that because the gods were unable to clearly perceive psionic beings, any commune question regarding them would come back as ‘unclear’.

“It was still worth asking,” Lanara commented.

Kyle continued. “Can the invasion be halted if appropriate action is taken within the borders of the Tauric Empire?”

NO.

“Damn. Sorry, Kyle,” Autumn said.

He shook his head, but said nothing, so as not to disrupt the spell. He asked his next question, even though he knew the answer already. “Is it within the current capability of the Legacy to affect events within the borders of the Tauric Empire enough to halt the invasion?”

NO.

Kyle sighed. “Does the Tauric fleet intend to conquer all of Affon?”

YES.

“Well, there goes the last shred of hope that maybe they’re just here for a friendly visit,” said Osborn.

“Was the Tauric invasion instigated by one of the gods?” Kyle asked.

NO.

Kyle looked at his companions. Of the nine questions they were allotted, they’d left the last three open, to respond to the answers from the previous six.

“Is there anything that will turn the Tauric Empire back?” Arrie suggested. Kyle nodded, and repeated the question.

YES.

“Vague,” said Arrie, “but at least we know it’s possible.”

“Why don’t we ask if negotiating will do any good?” Lanara suggested.

“Good idea,” agreed Autumn. “Ask that.”

“Can direct diplomatic negotiation with the Tauric Empire be effective?” he asked.

YES.

“Encouraging,” Tolly commented, “but I’m sure it depends on the skill of the negotiators, and what’s offered. Erito could be saying that negotiation will work, as long as Affon surrenders.”

“Very true,” said Autumn, “but at least we know that the Taurics aren’t dead set on eradicating us.”

“I think we should ask if it would be possible to persuade the Xhintai Empire to ally with Affon,” Tolly said.

Upon hearing the agreement of the others, Kyle asked their last question. “Can the Xhintai Empire be persuaded to ally with Affon against the Tauric Empire?”

YES.

The spell ended, and Kyle quickly filled Maddie in on the responses while the others talked. “So Xhintai might help us,” Arrie said, “but who knows what price they’ll ask for their help?”
“Given that Hungai is fairly prominently placed in their military,” Lanara said, “I can imagine what at least one demand would be.” The bard nodded toward Xu.

“All good things to know, but little we can act on,” Autumn said. “Tolly, do you want to try a commune with Ardara?”

Tolly shook his head. “I’m not going to attempt it.”

“Don’t you think the destruction of Affon is worth it?”

“I do, but I doubt it would produce much in the way of useful information,” Tolly explained. “Ardara is one of The Four, and thus less powerful and less aware of things outside her realm. And some of the information can be gained through other, less costly divinations. Besides, I’ve been trying to get away from riding Ardara’s coat-tails.”

“Right,” said Kyle, “we’re falling back into the trap of trying to single-handedly determine the course of Affon’s strategy against the Taurics. We know now that going physically to the Empire won’t do any good, so staying here is our best bet. And we know they can be stopped… somehow. I can’t help but think that knowing what it was that was fallen, and has risen again will help.”

“So, then what should we do?” Lanara asked.

Kyle sighed heavily. “I have no idea.”

There was a long, uncomfortable silence. “I think,” Tolly said slowly, “that we need to recruit the psions.”

“Are you feeling all right, Tolly?” Lanara asked.

“If we can get Aran’s group to help, it may be our only choice,” Tolly said. “It certainly doesn’t help their cause if Affon is overrun.”

“It’s a good idea,” Kyle said, “and I think we should ask. But Aran has to counter Kristyan. He might not be able to help us; it would be helping stop one disaster only to cause another.”

“Let’s go talk to Elianora,” Tolly said. “See if she can get a message to Aran.”

The party left the sitting room where they’d held the commune, and went upstairs to where the maenad’s room was. She called for them to enter when they knocked. Stepping inside, they say Elianora sitting on her bed, talking with Aran.

“Well, that makes things easy,” Autumn said.

“I felt that I needed to apologize to you in person,” Aran said, slowly rising. The old psion looked weary, as if he’d been working hard for several days.

“Apologize for what?” Arrie asked.

“For an oversight on my part,” Aran said. “I’d always assumed that Kristyan’s faction was primarily working on this continent. They weren’t.”

Everyone was stunned for a moment. “But… Erito said…” Lanara protested.

“She said, ‘unclear’,” Tolly reminded her. “She always says ‘unclear’ when psionics are involved.” Tolly turned to Aran. “So, are we going to have to face Kristyan directly in order to stop this?”

“I believe he is mind-controlling certain high-ranking officials within the Empire,” Aran said. “I have also been to the Empire itself. It’s a wasteland. There is nothing growing or living there for as far as the eye can see.”

For several minutes, none of them could speak. Finally, Lanara managed to ask, “Any signs of Silko? We got this odd prophecy from a sea hag.”

Aran shook his head, and Kyle commented, “The part about something falling and rising again probably refers to Silko’s followers as a whole, not the man himself.”

“It may also refer to Kristyan and his followers emerging from the Underdark, razing the land and forcing the Taurics to leave their lands in search of others.” Aran suggested.

“Wait,” Autumn asked, “it was Kristyan who destroyed the Empire?”

Aran nodded.

“Which means there’s no way to convince them to return home,” Kyle said weakly.

“Their entire Empire really is on those ships,” said Autumn quietly.

“Well, the druids could repair the damage eventually,” Tolly suggested.

“Yeah, eventually,” snapped Lanara. “But how many druids do you know?”

“So, it seems like the best strategy would be to convince the Taurics that Xhintai is a much more suitable homeland than Affon,” Kyle said.

Autumn looked shocked. “Kyle!”

“I was joking!” Kyle said, laughing a little too loudly. “Levity in the face of certain doom, remember?”

“It’s not certain doom,” said Aran sternly. “At this point, most of the high-ranking officials within the Empire are not going to be open to negotiation because they’re coming from a devastated landscape, and they’re being mind-controlled. If you can remove at least one of those factors, then you have a shot at opening a dialogue.”

“Can you point out where Kristyan is?” Tolly asked. “It’s difficult to mind-control anyone if you’re dead.”

“True,” said Aran, “but bear in mind that Kristyan isn’t working alone. He has the majority of his people with him at this point. Not just telepaths, but others as well.”

“Like Xerxes,” Lanara said.

“”Sounds like we’d have a better shot at attacking the Tauric Empire,” Kyle said bitterly.

“I’m going to state what I think is pretty obvious,” Arrie interjected. “Tell me if I’m seeing this right. We have two options; fix the Empire’s lands, or eliminate the telepaths controlling the leadership. From our conversation with… the powerful person we just spoke with, we know that our going to the Empire won’t do any good. In fact, we know that no one going to the Empire will stop the invasion. So it seems our only course of action is to eliminate the mind control.”

“Right,” said Lanara.

“Are Kristyan’s people aboard the ships?” Kyle asked.

“Yes. Kristyan has at least one person with telepathic abilities on each ship, in order to influence the captain. Not every captain is under direct control; some are just charmed.”

“Is Marrek among them?” asked Lanara.

“I’m not sure, but I don’t think so. He’s a priest of Qin-Chu – he’d stand out amongst the Taurics.”

“Maybe the idea of infiltrating them isn’t such a bad idea after all,” suggested Lanara.

“No, I think it is,” Arrie said. “We still don’t know enough to pull the ruse off long enough to get any decent intelligence.”

“It’d be suicide,” Autumn agreed.

“Okay, then, how would we find the psions on the ship?” Lanara asked.

“Well, once we’re aboard, Kyle can see them with his staff,” Tolly said.

“But my range is limited,” Kyle said, “and we’d have to wade through hordes of Tauric soldiers to get to the telepath. I’d prefer to be able to just target the psions before we even board.” Kyle thought for a moment. “It’s possible to use a detect magic spell through a scrying sometimes. I’ve never tried it in conjunction with my staff to detect psionics.”

“Aran, can you give us enough information about Kristyan or the other telepaths for Kyle to attempt a scrying?” Lanara asked.

“Possibly,” Aran said, “and remember that you’ve met Xerxes.”

“But remember that Kyle’s staff only detects active psionic powers,” Arrie said. “If they’re not using powers, then nothing shows up.”

“This is true,” Aran agreed. “The mind control only needs to be re-established occasionally. And the charmed and dominated people will also register as actively psionic.”

“Yes, but we know they’re controlling the leaders, who are all going to be tauric creatures,” argued Kyle. “So we can rule out any active psionics on a tauric. And the psions might have other powers active, or some psionically imbued items.”

“It’d still be a scatter-shot trying to find them,” Lanara said.

“Exactly,” Arrie said. “If they aren’t using powers, they don’t show up.”

“But come to think of it,” Aran mused, “among my kind, a certain sense of healthy paranoia always exists when dealing with surface folk. And since magic is incapable of detecting psionic powers, with the exception of Kyle, Kristyan’s people wouldn’t be so worried about being detected. They may very well be maintaining some defensive powers at all times.”

“But there’s an entire fleet coming our way,” Arrie pointed out. “And Kyle’s the only one who can do this. We can’t exactly pull individual ships from the armada and pick them off one by one. Sooner or later they’ll figure out what’s happening and come get us.”

“We could eliminate the scout ships,” Tolly said. “They’ll be isolated.”

“Okay, so, we get the scouts,” Arrie said. “Big deal.”

“It’s a start.”

“Arrie’s got a point, though,” Kyle said. “The biggest problem is that whether I pick out the psions through scrying, which I don’t even know will work, or whether we go to these ships and I do it in person, it’s only a matter of time before they figure it out. In order for this to work, we’d have to hit almost every ship.”

“Or find Kristyan,” Tolly pointed out. “Losing their leader could demoralize them.”

“He’s probably with whoever’s the primary commander of the armada,” Lanara observed. “He’d want to make sure he stays under control.”

“I don’t think he’s going to be that obvious,” Arrie said.

“Well, then, what do you propose we do?” Kyle snapped.

The people in the room fell to bickering, arguing about various plans and why they would or wouldn’t work. Throughout it all, Aran sat quietly, thinking.

“Kyle,” he said at last, in a quiet voice that nonetheless caught everyone’s attention, “if you have some time for spell research…I will aid you in developing a detect psionics spell.”

Everyone was silent for a moment. “I really hate to do this,” Aran said, sighing, “but this looks to be an endgame situation. I don’t have a choice. I can only hope that after this, it won’t matter.”

“I don’t understand,” said Maddie, who up until then had remained out of the discussion. “Why is it such a big deal? I thought Kyle could already detect psionics.”

“I can, with my staff,” said Kyle. “But I’m the only one. But a spell can be passed along to other wizards, other adventurers.”

“Allowing them to aid you in attacking Kristyan’s forces,” said Aran. “And, should they so choose, to hunt down my people as well.” He looked at the party, a somber look on his face. “Understand that what I’m offering now is something that I refused to do even at the height of the war with Silko and his faction. Of course, back then I was more of a neutral party than I am now.” Aran winked at Kyle. “Justin would be jealous of you, son.”

“I’ll try not to let it go to my head,” Kyle said.

Aran stood up. “I understand that the leaders of Affon are having a conference in a week,” he said. “I think that I should attend. I’d like you to introduce me – I have information they need.”

“I’d be happy to,” said Lanara.

“You’re more than welcome to stay here, Aran,” said Autumn.

Arrie began chuckling to herself. “Looks like I’ll be coming out of the closet sooner than I’d thought.”

“Why?” asked Autumn.

“Better to out myself than have someone else do it. It’s not a question of if, but when. The only thing I can’t predict is how others will react.”

“Whatever it is,” Tolly said, “you have our support.”

“Violent, bloody support, if need be,” added Kyle. “But support.”

“Thanks,” grinned Arrie.

“I’ll need to spend tomorrow casting a few sendings,” Tolly said. “I’ll need to consult with Frelarr.” Tolly suddenly frowned, then chuckled. “I actually called him Frelarr. The world must be ending.”

END OF PART THREE

---------------------------

* You'll note that Kyle often ends up being the one asking questions when we use a commune. That's mostly because I'm usually the first person to suggest using these kind of divination spells, but mostly because I'm the only one that writes the questions down and encourages people to think of the questions in the first place. Sigh... maybe I should have played the cleric.

Last edited:

Delemental

First Post
INTERMISSION (Let's all go to the lobby, let's all go to the lobby...)

And so, this marks the end of the second act of the campaign (the DM has said the campaign metaplot has four acts, plus an epilogue). This also marks the point where we had our hiatus; this session was played on November 4, 2005, and the next time we picked up the dice to play in Aelfenn, it was June 23, 2006.

Our characters were close to 13th level at this point, but when Part Three starts, we'll be at 15th. Hopefully in the next few days, I'll start posting the character stats here for the 15th level versions of the Legacy. This time, though, I'll put links in to the characters on the first post in this SH, so that they can be found again easily (and I can just go back and edit the existing posts as we advance).

I'm also going to be changing the title of the Story Hour. When I started writing this, we didn't have a name for our group, and I had to call the Story Hour something. So I put in the first thing I could think of. Unfortunately, 'Company of Vagabonds' never really fit our party, and has become even less fitting with time. So, from now on the Story Hour will be called 'Tales of the Legacy'. I'll leave a reference to the old title in for a while, just so people don't get confused and think their subscription link has been messed up.

Thanks for reading!

Last edited:

Delemental

First Post
Kyle Goodson

Okay, may as well start with my own character...

Code:
KYLE GOODSON
Human male wizard 15
NG Medium humanoid
[B]Init[/B] +3; [B]Senses[/B] Darkvision 60’, permanent [I]detect magic[/I], permanent [I]see invisibility[/I], Listen +4, Spot +4
[B]Languages[/B] Common, Celestial, Draconic, Dwarven, Elven, Hin, permanant [I]tongues[/I]
--------------------------------------------------
[B]AC[/B] 21, touch 17, flat-footed 18
[B]hp[/B] 112 (15 HD)
[B]Fort[/B] +13, [B]Ref[/B] +12, [B]Will[/B] +17
------------------------------------------------
[B]Speed[/B] 30 ft (6 squares)
[B]Melee[/B] [I]scion’s staff[/I] +10/+5 (1d6+5) or silver dagger +9/+4 (1d4+1/19-20) or
[B]Ranged[/B] silver dagger +10 (1d4+1/19-20)
[B]Base Atk[/B] +7; [B]Grp[/B] +8
[B]Combat Gear[/B] [I]lesser metamagic rod of empower, ring of theurgy, potion of cure serious wounds x5, potion of remove curse, potion of break enchantment, scroll of dimensional anchor, scroll of dispel magic[/I] (caster level 9), [I]scroll of haste[/I] (caster level 8), [I]wand of magic missiles[/I] (caster level 7, 45 charges), [I]wand of fireball[/I] (caster level 7, 3 charges), [I]war wizard cloak[/I]
[B]Spells Prepared[/B] (CL 15th):
                8th – varies (DC 27, 2/day)
                7th – varies (DC 26, 3/day)
                6th – varies (DC 25, 4/day)
                5th – varies (DC 24, 6/day)
                4th – varies (DC 23, 6/day)
                3rd – varies (DC 22, 6/day)
                2nd – varies (DC 21, 6/day)
                1st – varies (DC 20, 7/day)
                0 – varies (DC 19, 4/day)
[B]Spell-Like Abilities[/B] (CL 15th):
                1/day [I]unseen servant[/I]
                [I]war wizard cloak[/I] (CL 9th):
                        At will [I]darkvision, feather fall, endure elements[/I]
                        1/day [I]dimension door, lesser ironguard, protection from arrows, sending[/I]
-----------------------------------------------------------
[B]Abilities[/B] Str 15, Dex 16, Con 18, Int 26, Wis 14, Cha 10
[B]SQ[/B] familiar, scry on familiar, share spells, can use Knowledge skills untrained
[B]Feats[/B] Alertness* (if familiar is within 5 feet), Empower Spell*, Energy Substitution (electricity)*, Eschew Materials, Extraordinary Spell Aim, Greater Spell Penetration, Iron Will, Maximize Spell, Scribe Scroll*, Spellcasting Prodigy, Spell Penetration, Spellstrike*
* - bonus feats
[B]Skills[/B] Appraise +11, Bluff +3, Concentration +22, Craft (Alchemy) +15, Craft (Blacksmithing) +11, Craft (Carpentry) +12, Craft (Jewelrymaking) +14, Craft (Stonemasonry) +11, Decipher Script +11, Diplomacy +2, Heal +4, Intimidate +2, Knowledge (Arcana) +25, Knowledge (Architecture and Engineering) +13, Knowledge (Geography) +12, Knowledge (History) +9, Knowledge (Nature) +5, Knowledge (Nobility and Royalty) +10, Knowledge (Psionics) +13, Knowledge (Religion) +11, Knowledge (The Planes) +12, Listen +4, Profession (Farmer) +3, Profession (Sailor) +5, Ride +4, Search +10, Spellcraft +28, Spot +4, Swim +3
[B]Possessions[/B] Combat gear plus [I]scion’s staff, amulet of health +2, belt of many pockets, blessed book, bracers of armor +2, darkwood buckler +1, glove of far reaching, glove of storing, headband of intellect +6, dusty rose ioun stone, pearl of power x2[/I] (1st), [I]pearl of power[/I] (2nd), [I]ring of protection +3, ring of research, steadfast boots, vest of resistance +4, wand of prestidigitation[/I] (22 charges)

[B]Spellbook[/B]
[B]0[/B] – [I]acid splash, arcane mark, dancing lights, daze, detect magic, detect poison, disrupt undead, electric jolt, flare, ghost sound, launch bolt, light, mage hand, mending, message, open/close, prestidigitation, ray of frost, read magic, repair minor damage, resistance, silent portal, sonic snap, touch of fatigue[/I]
[B]1st[/B] – [I]alarm, animate rope, burning hands, cause fear, charm person, chill touch, comprehend languages, detect secret doors, detect undead, disguise self, endure elements, enlarge person, erase, expeditious retreat, feather fall, floating disk, grease, hold portal, hypnotism, identify, ironguts, jump, mage armor, magecraft, magic missile, magic weapon, mount, negative energy ray, nerveskitter, obscuring mist, persistent blade, protection from chaos, protection from evil, protection from good, protection from law, ray of enfeeblement, reduce person, shield, shocking grasp, sleep, spirit worm, summon monster I, summon undead I, true strike, unseen servant, ventriloquism[/I]
[B]2nd[/B] – [I]acid arrow, alter self, bear’s endurance, blindness/deafness, blur, bull’s strength, cat’s grace, cloud of bewilderment, command undead, continual flame, darkvision, death armor, detect thoughts, eagle’s splendor, false life, fiery furnace, flaming sphere, fox’s cunning, ghoul touch, glitterdust, invisibility, levitate, life bolt, locate object, magic mouth, malevolent miasma, mirror image, obscure object, owl’s wisdom, phantom trap, protection from arrows, quick potion, resist energy, rope trick, scare, scorching ray, see invisibility, shatter, shroud of undeath, spectral hand, spider climb, summon undead II, toothed tentacle, touch of idiocy, web[/I]
[B]3rd[/B] – [I]amorphous form, clairaudience/clairvoyance, dispel magic, displacement, fireball, flame arrow, fly, gaseous form, gentle repose, glowing orb, handfang, haste, healing touch, heroism, hold person, lightning bolt, major image, phantom steed, ray of exhaustion, scintillating sphere, servant horde, shatterfloor, shrink item, skull watch, spider poison, stinking cloud, suggestion, summon undead III, tiny hut, tongues, undead lieutenant, undead torch, vampiric touch, water breathing[/I]
[B]4th[/B] – [I]animate dead, arcane eye, assay spell resistance, bestow curse, black tentacles, burning blood, contagion, darkvision (mass), defenestrating sphere, dimension door, dimensional anchor, enervation, fear, forcewave, globe of invulnerability (lesser), invisibility (greater), metal melt, mindfrost, mnemonic enhancer, plague carrier, remove curse, resilient sphere, resist energy (mass), scrying, shout, sinsabur’s baleful bolt, solid fog, summon undead IV, thunderlance[/I]
[B]5th[/B] – [I]blight, break enchantment, cloudkill, cone of cold, dismissal, dream, fabricate, fire shield (mass), fly (mass), gutsnake, hold monster, magic jar, secret cheat, sending, shroud of flame, summon undead V, symbol of pain, telekinesis, telepathic bond, teleport, wall of force, wall of stone, waves of fatigue[/I]
[B]6th[/B] – [I]acid fog, analyze dweomer, anticipate teleportation (greater), antimagic field, bear’s endurance (mass), chain lightning, circle of death, disintegrate, dispel magic (greater), flesh to stone, fleshshiver, freezing glance, legend lore, shadow walk, starmantle, stone to flesh, suggestion (mass), transformation, veil, wall of iron[/I]
[B]7th[/B] – [I]banishment, finger of death, kiss of the vampire, mage’s magnificent mansion, mage’s sword, prismatic spray, reverse gravity, teleport (greater)[/I]
[B]8th[/B] – [I]charm monster (mass), horrid wilting, polar ray, screen[/I]

So, you might notice that Kyle's feats are somewhat different than the last time I posted him; specifically, the lack of item creation feats. The DM allowed us to make changes to our characters (a la the PHB II rules). Having been advised that the campaign in general was going to involve a lot of travel and not much downtime, I decided to switch to metamagic (that and IMO item creation gets less productive at higher levels - too much gp and xp for what you get... and let's not even talk about epic items).

The Spellstrike feat is custom, and gives Kyle a +2 bonus to Concentration checks against violent movement, and allows him to apply the Concussive Spell template (also homebrew - add some material and somatic components to a damage-dealing spell, and the spell knocks targets prone).

The glove of far reaching is a custom-made item that Kyle created. It allows the use of mage hand at will, and once per day he can cast spectral hand.

And the potion of break enchantment comes from the master alchemist Neville (they can make potions out of higher-level spells). You might see a couple of these "illegal" potions floating around on other chracters as well.

Oh, and because I know you're all curious about it...

Scion's staff: +2/+2 psibane quarterstaff, with the following special abilities:
* Can convert any detect magic, identify, or dispel magic arcane spell into detect psionics, psionic identify, or dispel psionics, respectively
* Can restore up to 4d6 levels of depleted spell slots by inflicting an equal amount of ability burn damage on the wielder's CON, STR, and DEX.
* Gain a +2 bonus on caster level checks to penetrate a psionic creature's SR, increases save DC of spells cast on psionic creatures by +1.
* Wielder gains the benefit of the Force of Will and Closed Mind feats.

Note that Kyle didn't get all these powers at once; they are revealing themselves gradually, and Kyle's had to expend XP to activate several of the powers.

Last edited:

Delemental

First Post
Tolly Nightsleaving

And now for everyone's favorite rock star...

Code:
TOLLY NIGHTSLEAVING (MULHOLLAND)                                                                                                                                                                                              
Human male cleric 3/church inquisitor 7/contemplative 5
LG Medium humanoid
[B]Init[/B] +3; [B]Senses[/B] earth sense 20’, Listen +7, Spot +8 (+12 vs disguises)
[B]Languages[/B] Common, Abyssal, Aquan, Celestial, Dwarven, Infernal, Elven, Terran, Draconic
------------------------------------------------
[B]AC[/B] 28, touch 13, flat-footed 25
[B]hp [/B]141 (15 HD)
[B]Immune[/B] charms, compulsions, disease, poisons
[B]Resist[/B] Slippery Mind, Pierce Illusion
[B]Fort[/B] +12, [B]Ref[/B] +10, [B]Will[/B] +19
-------------------------------------------------
[B]Speed[/B] 40 ft (8 squares)
[B]Melee[/B] [I]+2 sizing holy resounding mau[/I]l +18/+13 (1d10+8/x3) (+1 damage if both are touching ground, +2d6 damage if target evil)
[B]Base[/B] Atk +9; [B]Grp[/B] +15
[B]Special Actions[/B] turn undead 6/day (+5, 2d6+8, 3rd), spontaneous casting (heal spells), Divine Vigor (+10’ base move, +30 hp for 3 min), Divine Wholeness (20 hp), turn air creatures and/or rebuke, command, or bolster earth creatures 6/day (+3, 2d6+8, 3rd)
[B]Combat Gear[/B] [I]wand of cure moderate wounds[/I] (50 charges)[B]
Spells Prepared[/B] (CL 15th):
                [B]8th[/B] – varies (DC 22, 1+1/day)
                [B]7th[/B] – varies (DC 21, 2+1/day)
                [B]6th[/B] – varies (DC 20, 3+1/day)
                [B]5th[/B] – varies (DC 19, 4+1/day)
                [B]4th[/B] – varies (DC 18, 5+1/day)
                [B]3rd[/B] – varies (DC 17, 6+1/day)
                [B]2nd[/B] – varies (DC 16, 6+1/day)
                [B]1st[/B] – varies (DC 15, 6+1/day)
                [B]0[/B] – varies (DC 14, 6/day)
                [B]Deity[/B]: Ardara.  [I]Domains[/I]: Earth, Inquisition, Metal, Strength
[B]Spell-Like Abilities[/B] (CL 15th):
                1/day [I]detect good[/I]
                at will [I]detect evil[/I]
-------------------------------------------
[B]Abilities[/B] Str 22, Dex 16, Con 16, Int 18, Wis 18, Cha 16
[B]SQ[/B] can use Knowledge skills untrained, Force Shapechange, Pierce Disguise (+4 to Spot checks vs disguises), Divine Body, Divine Health, Slippery Mind, +4 on dispel checks (Inquisition domain), Feat of Strength +3 (Strength domain)
[B]Feats[/B] Divine Vigor, Earth Adept, Earth Sense, Extend Spell, Improved Cohort, Leadership, Persistent Spell, Weapon Focus (maul)*
* bonus feat
[B]Skills[/B] Balance +1, Bluff +8, Climb +4, Concentration +9, Craft (armorsmithing) +12, Craft (blacksmithing) +10, Craft (weaponsmithing) +12, Diplomacy +15, Escape Artist +1, Gather Information +8, Hide +8, Heal +9, Intimidate +14, Jump +4, Knowledge (arcane) +14, Knowledge (nobility and royalty) +9, Knowledge (psionics) +8, Knowledge (religion) +14, Knowledge (the planes) +14, Listen +7, Move Silently +8, Perform (dance) +5, Ride +5, Search +5, Sense Motive +15, Spellcraft +12, Spot +8, Swim +2
[B]Possessions[/B] Combat gear plus [I]+2 sizing holy resounding maul, +3 glamered shadow silent moves full plate, phylactery of faithfulness, necklace of adaptation, vest of resistance +3, bracers of maximized healing x2, ring of feather falling, ring of force shield, belt of priestly might, Rovenor’s boots, figurine of wondrous power[/I] (bronze griffin), [I]figurine of wondrous power [/I](silver raven), [I]bag of holding[/I] (type I), [I]feather token[/I] (swan boat), Book of Ardara, [I]continual flame[/I] lantern
[B]Notes[/B] [I]Earth Adept[/I] - +1 weapon damage if both Tolly and target are touching the ground
[I]Earth Sense[/I] – sense any creatures touching the ground within 20’ as a move action
[I]Force Shapechange[/I] – at will, make a melee touch attack, then a dispel check to force natural or magical shapechanger back to normal form for 1d6 rounds
[I]Divine Body[/I] – immune to all poisons
[I]Divine Health[/I] – immune to all diseases
[I]Divine Wholeness[/I] – heal up to 4 times contemplative level in hp per day
[I]Feat of Strength[/I] – gain bonus to Strength equal to cleric level for 1 round as a free action once/day[I]
Pierce Illusion[/I] – can make immediate Will save when viewing any illusion or disguise spell

Tolly is also significantly different from previous incarnations, again due to the changes the DM allowed us post-hiatus. Most significant is the loss of all levels of Elemental Savant, replaced by Contemplative and Church Inquisitor.

Last edited:

Delemental

First Post
Crystal

These are the stats for Crystal, Tolly's new cohort:

Code:
CRYSTAL
Axani female cleric 5/rogue 8
LN Medium humanoid (native outsider)
[B]Init[/B] +8; [B]Senses[/B] darkvision 60’, trap sense +2, stonecunning, Listen +10, Spot +12 (Quick Reconnoiter)
[B]Languages [/B]Common, Anarchic, Axiomatic, Dwarven, Elven, Gnomish, Terran
------------------------------------------------------
[B]AC[/B] 25, touch 16, flat-footed 25
[B]hp[/B] 82 (13 HD)
[B]Resist[/B] cold resistance 5, sonic resistance 5, evasion, improved uncanny dodge
[B]Fort[/B] +9, [B]Ref[/B] +13, [B]Will[/B] +10
-----------------------------------------------------
[B]Speed[/B] 30 ft (6 squares)
[B]Melee[/B] +2 rapier +17/+12 (1d6+2/15-20) or dagger +15/+10 (1d4+2/19-20) or
[B]Ranged[/B] dagger +15 (1d4+2/19-20)
[B]Base Atk[/B] +9; [B]Grp[/B] +11
[B]Atk Options[/B] sneak attack +4d6, Telling Blow
[B]Special Actions[/B] turn undead 6/day (+7, 2d6+8, 5th), spontaneous casting (heal spells)
[B]Combat Gear[/B] tanglefoot bag x3
[B]Spells Prepared[/B] (CL 9th, 10th for Lawful spells):
                [B]3rd[/B] – [I]meld into stone[/I] (D), [I]obscure object, suppress glyph[/I] (DC 16)
                [B]2nd[/B] – [I]darkness[/I] (D), [I]delay poison, divine insight, find traps [/I](DC 15)
                [B]1st[/B] – [I]detect secret doors[/I] (D), [I]dispel ward, obscuring mist, resurgence, sanctuary[/I] (DC 14)
                [B]0[/B] – [I]amanuensis, detect magic, detect poison, guidance, resistance[/I]  (DC 13)
                (D) = Domain spell
                [B]Deity[/B]: Ardara.  [I]Domains[/I]: Cavern, Law
[B]Spell-Like Abilities[/B] (CL 13th):
                1/day [I]calm emotions[/I] (DC 15)
---------------------------------------------------
[B]Abilities[/B] Str 14, Dex 22, Con 14, Int 20, Wis 17, Cha 17
[B]SQ[/B] aura of law, trap finding
[B]Feats[/B] Improved Critical (rapier), Practiced Spellcaster (cleric), Quick Reconnoiter, Telling Blow, Weapon Finesse
[B]Skills[/B] Appraise +12, Balance +15, Bluff +10, Climb +9 (+11 with rope), Concentration +7, Diplomacy +12, Disbale Device +18, Disguise +10 (+12 to act in-character), Escape Artist +17 (+19 vs. rope), Forgery +12, Hide +22, Intimidate +5, Jump +11, Knowledge (history) +10, Knowledge (religion) +10, Listen +10, Move Silently +22, Open Lock +19, Search +16, Spellcraft +10, Spot +12, Tumble +15, Use Rope +13 (+15 when binding)
[B]Possessions[/B] Combat gear plus +2 mithral shirt, +2 light mithral shield, +2 rapier, cloak of elvenkind, boots of elvenkind, masterwork thieves’ tools, dagger x4
[B]Notes[/B] [I]Quick Reconnoiter[/I] – allows a Listen and Spot check to be made as a free action once/round, +2 initiative
[I]Telling Blow[/I] – whenever a critical hit is made, add sneak attack dice to damage done

Last edited:

Sarabian1

First Post
And so, this marks the end of the second act of the campaign (the DM has said the campaign metaplot has four acts, plus an epilogue).

Actually, this marks the end of the third act. The players are just now embarking on the fourth. My "acts" tend to start slow, and end with a modicum of resolution, and enough unanswered questions to take one into the next act.

Remove ads