Starfinder Talking With Starfinder Creative Director At Gen Con

While at Gen Con, I had the opportunity to briefly meet with James Sutter, the Creative Director for the new Starfinder game from Paizo Publishing, as well as the co-creator of the Pathfinder role-playing game. We met in the first hour of the con, before Starfinder sold out, when the press of bodies at the convention was trying to get to the Paizo booth and grab their copies of the game. Moving along the line of people waiting to pay for their copies was Sutter, moving along the line with a pen in hand to sign the copies of anyone who wanted a signature. He talked with everyone, and laughed with many.

While at Gen Con, I had the opportunity to briefly meet with James Sutter, the Creative Director for the new Starfinder game from Paizo Publishing, as well as the co-creator of the Pathfinder role-playing game. We met in the first hour of the con, before Starfinder sold out, when the press of bodies at the convention was trying to get to the Paizo booth and grab their copies of the game. Moving along the line of people waiting to pay for their copies was Sutter, moving along the line with a pen in hand to sign the copies of anyone who wanted a signature. He talked with everyone, and laughed with many.

The first day of Gen Con 2017 was a busy one for everyone, but no one publisher felt that quite like Paizo. This wasn't the first time that Paizo dominated a Gen Con and sold out their new core rules, either. I was at the Gen Con, nine years ago, when Pathfinder debuted and sold out then. This Gen Con had a similar feel to it. Not far from the booth, Paizo had a demo area where they were running Starfinder games for those attending the convention.

When I asked about Sutter what he thought about the reception that Starfinder was getting from Paizo fans he said "This is crazy. This is great." He said that neither he nor the company expected lightning to strike twice like this. "We knew that people were excited and engaged" but until seeing the crowds at Gen Con and interacting with them they didn't know just how excited that people were about Starfinder.

In fact, the best part of working on the project for Sutter was the audience's reaction to it as they launched previews and reveals of the game. He said that the work in getting the game together and out to the people was hard, but seeing the excitement of the fan base made all that hard work worthwhile.

Sutter said that his favorite race in the game were the ratfolk. He lobbied for their inclusion because he know that Starfinder groups would have people in that would love the race as much as he did.

As a big fan of science fiction, you could see some of the early threads that would lead to Starfinder in earlier Pathfinder works by Sutter, like Distant Worlds. Writing about space elevators and particle accelerators in the Pathfinder game excited him, but he (and his editors) knew that they had to pull back on the more overt science fiction for that game. But it laid the ground for what would end up being the Starfinder game.

We talked about those people who weren't happy about the disappearance of Golarion, and the idea of The Gap. Sutter said that this was "crucial to Starfinder succeeding" so that Pathfinder campaigns and adventures wouldn't have their agency removed, or have things spoiled by Starfinder being the future of Pathfinder.

The next big product for Starfinder that Sutter was excited for was the upcoming Pact Worlds Campaign Setting hardcover. This will give expanded information on the core setting of the Starfinder game. The book was designed with their goal of pushing content that would benefit both GMs and players, having new equipment and gear, races and options for characters and players.
SaveSave

vongarr

First Post
You think that the people who spent months producing a gorgeous several-hundred page full-colour book are "lazy"? Not just lazy, but "incredibly lazy"?

Tough audience.

God I hate the internet sometimes. It successfully parodies itself so often.

The art in the book, the layout, the typesetting, the flawless editing, all of these things could be world class and breaking new ground in RPG design. And having a cop out gap would still be lazy.

The book having a particular characteristic has nothing to do with another, unrelated characteristic, in other words. Now, if someone is so incensed they can simply fill out the gap themselves. That's assuming they think the system and setting are worthwhile enough to put that much work into fleshing out the historical underpinnings of the setting.

ddaley

Explorer
My group has not played Pathfinder or used Golarion... but I would like to use the published adventures for Starfinder. I am hoping that this Gap concept isn't integral to their APs.

...Now, if someone is so incensed they can simply fill out the gap themselves. That's assuming they think the system and setting are worthwhile enough to put that much work into fleshing out the historical underpinnings of the setting.

vongarr

First Post
My group has not played Pathfinder or used Golarion... but I would like to use the published adventures for Starfinder. I am hoping that this Gap concept isn't integral to their APs.

If you don't mind me asking, why use starfinder at all then? Nothing I've seen in any of the world building done by Paizo has impressed me, and it in general seems to be favored for its breadth of material more than the quality of that material. And the rules are very arguably even worse (not that they're bad, but that the system overall has issues that cannot be resolved with rule revisions and sourcebooks).

ddaley

Explorer
I have been wanting to run a SciFi game. I have been playing D&D off and on since around 1980... so am familiar with the system. I like the D20 system. I am willing to give Starfinder a decent chance.

We tried FFG's Star Wars. I was not crazy about the zone system and their dice mechanic is interesting, but too involved for a action oriented RPG.

If you don't mind me asking, why use starfinder at all then? Nothing I've seen in any of the world building done by Paizo has impressed me, and it in general seems to be favored for its breadth of material more than the quality of that material. And the rules are very arguably even worse (not that they're bad, but that the system overall has issues that cannot be resolved with rule revisions and sourcebooks).

vongarr

First Post
I have been wanting to run a SciFi game. I have been playing D&D off and on since around 1980... so am familiar with the system. I like the D20 system. I am willing to give Starfinder a decent chance.

We tried FFG's Star Wars. I was not crazy about the zone system and their dice mechanic is interesting, but too involved for a action oriented RPG.

Thank you for the explanation. My perception is that the paizo types are going to be those who are going to be the ones getting into starfinder.

I've done the FFG star wars too, and while I like the system, I do not really care for the setting. And a lot of the concepts are very gamey and counter intuitive for those who aren't going to sit down and learn the system (which unfortunately seems to be lot when it comes to players...).

madchappy

Villager
I have full intentions of embracing Starfinder and having fun. Isn't that what it is all about anyways. Besides there are some things "man" will not understand or comprehend. Such as where do my socks in the dryer disappear to or if in space could someone really hear you scream?

So I am fine with The Gap. Personally I am glad Paizo has a new system so all their eggs are not in one basket as I think they do an excellent job supporting their base.

Play at games and have fun. Life is to short to do otherwise.

Well that is my two cents for what it is worth. Also, I enjoy ready this site so keep up the good work.

TrickyUK

Explorer
When I first skimmed the book, I was not impressed with The Gap. Felt too much like a cop-out; would have simply preferred a different universe. I also think that the Pathfinder Legacy chapter could have been a free download and the pages used for something else (a handful on monsters?) as this seemed to contrast with the idea that Golarion had disappeared. If they wanted keep some distance between the two games (which the Gap successfully creates) then I found it odd they made the effort to include Pathfinder races - I really like the default alien races as they suit the sci-fi setting. I guess I could also say this view extends to the magic in the game, which just feels like a holdover from Pathfinder.

I've since gone back and started reading the book from front to back (so not got to Setting chapter yet). I'm hoping that I like the system enough to look past this element of the setting and do as others have mentioned, and look forward and ignore (for want of a better word) the past because I like what I've read so far.

Shasarak

Banned
Banned
I think, from my POV, that having the Gap and the disappearance of Golarion allows the Starfinder team to use anything from Pathfinder without having to actually upgrade everything from Pathfinder.

I mean, can you imagine the work that would have to be done to have a "modern day" Golarion?

Remove ads

Remove ads