• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

tattoos, spikes, punk, and goth in D&D images?

Malk

First Post
ok i have a few points.
1: i really love the art in the new addition especialy compared to the art in second edition, and i dont really have any experiance with art in first edition
2: all pictures of mialee bite the big one
3: since when are tatoos considered modern!? Thats like saying that drinking water is a very modern thing because its all the rage now days....

kenjib

First Post
Gothmog said:
IMO, Easley, Elmore, Parkinson, and some of the old crowd of painters will never be surpassed.

I can see it now. A neo-classical movement in the D&D art world hearkening back to the masters of old several decades ago... :)

Quasqueton

First Post
For the record, I love Erol Otus' work for AD&D and B/ED&D.

AD&D 1st edition images:

[Edit: some of these links may not work right now, but they were working a few minutes ago. Maybe check back later and they will be up again.]

How about this goofy outfit:
eroloelfking.jpg

Look at 'em spikeys:
D3.jpg

Goofy? Look at the tin can on that fighter.
dd-box.jpg

How's this ensemble piece?
Characters.jpg

Not Erol Otus, but for diaglo specifically:
Check out this [sarcasm]evocative[/sarcasm] beholder:
Behold.gif

Quasqueton

Last edited:

Henry

Autoexreginated
Quas, the pictures aren't showing (geocities has that problem). I don't suppose you could attach 'em to the post?

EricNoah

Adventurer
The "spikey armor" complaints about the 3E art actually started with the art previews for 3E that came out in 1999. It never bothered me and I couldn't see what the big deal was then, and I feel the same way now. Art is so subjective and there are so many different styles and tastes there's no way everyone can be pleased. I do like my RPG books to have nice art, and I do like having a variety of artists and styles. They don't all have to look like Parkinson or Easley or whatever. I do think it shows when a publisher skimps on the art.

Last edited:

Quez The Lame

First Post
D&D artwork did a heavy shift to anime / comic style, compared to the 2nd Ed. AD&D books. The latter contained more scene pictures, like a "ranger" staring down on a far too big footprint in the snow. Now i see lots of stylishly posing creatures that could be taken from Dragonball Z.

There are some books shining over the mass, as do the FR books (especially the FRCS) or Wheel of Time, but most books follow that comic style. I don't like warriors in heavily spiked armors and elven archers/wizards/bladesingers wearing nothing more than a leather or chainmail bikini. That's not inspiring, that's not really nice to look at, or in short, that's useless.

Can't there be a wizard in exensive robes studying in his candle lit laboratory, elven warriors in cloak and (not spiked) leather armor wandering the woods or a halfling rogue throwing darts in the tavern to earn some gold ?

John Q. Mayhem

Explorer
I like the leering face on Regdar's armor. And I like the rings in Lidda's hair, even though they'd jingle and screw up her Move Silently. I like the artwork in 3e in general (haven't seen much 3.5). The Draconomicon's art is very very nice, except for the wyrmlings.

reiella

Explorer
I like the new art a bit myself.

Of course, the OD&D and AD&D art reminds me of religious tracts a bit too much for my tastes :). Or the general pulp comics of the early 80s.

Tinker Gnome

Explorer
I like the 3.0/3.5 art. It looks much more lie something you would find in a fantasy setting. I have seen some of the art from previous editions, and I do not really like it. It looks really cheesy to me.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads