• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

(Tavern) City of Orussus, The Red Dragon Inn I

Status
Not open for further replies.

Grim

First Post
Llolian
"Could you conjure up 500 gold and a bottle of 20-year old brandy? Either would be fine, actually."

"Uhhh.... I'll get back to you on that one. I can summon Spot though. He's a dog, but not an ordinary one. He glows, and sometimes I think he talks."

Snark jumps at the elf, squiggling, but Milo grabs him and shoves him into his boot.

"Sorry. I have a case of the weasels. Bye!"

Milo goes back over to Troi and sits down near him. He looks over at Velbrik, nods. "I liked the story. I think my mother told it to me once, but the moral she told me was that I should never go deaf, or someone would stab me."

"If you tell another one, I'll tell a third. Then I could summon something, if you want."

Last edited:

WizWrm

First Post
"Hmm... I must've heard a different rendition, or something." Troi says. "Would-be nobles... yeah, that definitely doesn't include me. Arrogant little pricks, nobles' kids are. Attitude problems all around. But hey, whaddya gonna do?" He takes a heavy drink from the blue concoction. "Whoo... good stuff. So, Velbrik, what exactly brings you to our little tavern here?"

"It's entirely possible you've heard the story before, but modified. Many street performers take the lore and change it for their own needs or to make it more pleasing to crowds."

"So we're back to why I'm a newcomer here - well, it's actually possible you might be able to help me with that," Velbrik says. "That's something of a story in itself. I didn't really have a purpose in mind when my mentor decided my training was finished, but he gave me directions to this inn and said I might find something of use here. My home-town, Tharol, was on the road here, so I stopped by to visit my family before heading off into the world. I discovered, to my dismay, that most of my immediate family had relocated to the kingdom's capitol, but my uncle had left a few things in storage for me," Velbrik says, as he gestures toward the battered longsword on the bar, "As well as a note."

"He's always been a bit cryptic, and the odd one in the family - you know the type, certainly? Amongst his other comments - wishing I was well, hoping I'd follow in his footsteps," Velbrik gestures to the longsword again, "He also mentioned something about dragons, and that it might do me a bit of good to find out about them. Seemed snide about it, almost. Since, as you've said a couple times, that your area of learning is odd beasts, I wonder whether you've studied the creatures? Perhaps not in person - since you are standing in front of me rather than six feet under me - but maybe you know someone who knows someone who had a relative that had encountered one?"

Keia

I aim to misbehave
Originally posted by Troi
Troi leans in a little closer to Thurgan. "Y'know, if you want to leave the smithy scene, maybe get out and make a few gold... the one guy, Felix, he's looking for a job. When he finds one, he's gonna let me in on it... chances are he'd let you in on it, too. That is, if you're interested... in getting away from..." He makes a wide, sweeping motion, "all this." He finishes by taking a drink out of his blue concoction.

Thurgan spoke surprisingly softly for a voice so deep, "A break . . . I wouldn't be accepted back to the smithy if I left for adventure. I need Master Drewer's signature to release me from apprenticeship . . . something that should have happened years ago . . ."

Anger started to flush the face of the honorable dwarf, but he continued, "I can break the apprenticeship, but then there's no reference, nor starting smithy equipment. You think this bard would know a worthy patron . . ."

He left the rest unfinished as more newcomers gathered around.

GnomeWorks

Adventurer
Velbrik
"It's entirely possible you've heard the story before, but modified. Many street performers take the lore and change it for their own needs or to make it more pleasing to crowds."

Troi nods. "That's possible. Probably what happened."

"So we're back to why I'm a newcomer here - well, it's actually possible you might be able to help me with that, that's something of a story in itself. I didn't really have a purpose in mind when my mentor decided my training was finished, but he gave me directions to this inn and said I might find something of use here. My home-town, Tharol, was on the road here, so I stopped by to visit my family before heading off into the world. I discovered, to my dismay, that most of my immediate family had relocated to the kingdom's capitol, but my uncle had left a few things in storage for me, as well as a note."

Troi listens to the story, not interrupting. "Tharol... I think I might've been there once. Maybe. Hard to say. I've been to so many places..."

"He's always been a bit cryptic, and the odd one in the family - you know the type, certainly?"

Troi nods.

"Amongst his other comments - wishing I was well, hoping I'd follow in his footsteps, he also mentioned something about dragons, and that it might do me a bit of good to find out about them. Seemed snide about it, almost. Since, as you've said a couple times, that your area of learning is odd beasts, I wonder whether you've studied the creatures? Perhaps not in person - since you are standing in front of me rather than six feet under me - but maybe you know someone who knows someone who had a relative that had encountered one?"

"Well, I personally don't know much about dragons." Troi says, rubbing at his left shoulder. "Thus far I've tended to avoid them... because I would end up six feet under." He smiles. "And sadly, I don't know of anyone who does. However, the dragon outside is said to have once been a real one that got petrified, or something like that... but I dunno if that's right or not."

"Sorry," He says, shrugging and taking a sip out of his glass.

GnomeWorks

Adventurer
Thurgan
"A break . . . I wouldn't be accepted back to the smithy if I left for adventure. I need Master Drewer's signature to release me from apprenticeship . . . something that should have happened years ago . . ."

"Well, think about it." He says in a low voice. "You're not really an apprentice anymore. You can strike out on your own. You won't be alone - there'll be at least me, and Grak... though I know that's not a very comforting thought." He smiles.

"I can break the apprenticeship, but then there's no reference, nor starting smithy equipment. You think this bard would know a worthy patron . . ."

"Hell, I can be your reference! I've got some skill with making weapons... the last time I made one was, what, three years ago, but I still have some skill. And if we get any sort of money, I'll pitch in to help you start your own smithy. You don't need Drewer anymore. I don't know if Velbrik here knows anybody, but I can find out."

Keia

I aim to misbehave
Originally posted by Troi
"Hell, I can be your reference! I've got some skill with making weapons... the last time I made one was, what, three years ago, but I still have some skill. And if we get any sort of money, I'll pitch in to help you start your own smithy. You don't need Drewer anymore. I don't know if Velbrik here knows anybody, but I can find out."

Thurgan thought for several moments added the remains of his ale to moisten his mouth and help him think. "That could work, Troi, though we'll still need to come up with a healthy sum to start out with."

Thurgan stood and wiped his mouth. "I better be going, an overly tired drunk dwarf is not a good mix. Contact me if the bard comes through . . . I'll check back later after I clean up a bit. Talk to you later, Troi."

Thurgan made his way out of the tavern, nodding to those he knew on his way out.

GnomeWorks

Adventurer
Thurgan
"That could work, Troi, though we'll still need to come up with a healthy sum to start out with."

"There is much wealth to be had in the world." Troi says. "All we have to do is find it."

"I better be going, an overly tired drunk dwarf is not a good mix. Contact me if the bard comes through . . . I'll check back later after I clean up a bit. Talk to you later, Troi."

Troi nods. "If anything comes up, I'll stop by and leave a note, or something. If it's urgent, I'll wake you up, otherwise... I'll probably see you tomorrow night. Talk to you later, man."

Grim

First Post
Milo smiles. "I remember the song!" He begins to sing, the high singsong voice of someone who can't actually sing.

Wilby was a wandering halfling, always on the move.
He had a wandering spirit that no new sight could sooth.
So with feet walking and lips talking,
He walked towards horizons so smooth.

One day Wilby entered a cave in a hill.
He whispered "I hope I won't need my will."
So he lit a light in the cavernous night.
And what he saw caused his fluids to spill.

A dragon, a blue one, with wings spread wide
Looked him straight in the face and, horribly, sighed.
"You look tasty, Mr. Small and pasty."
The dragon bellowed. Wilby started to cry.

"Oh, you mortals, with your whimpers and screams.
A quiet victim would be one of my dreams!
Even if he was fat, I wouldn't eat that.
I'd let him go absolutly free!" Wilby beamed.

Then he ran. Quietly.

Milo smiles when he finishes, proud that he could actually remember the first four verses.

Last edited:

GnomeWorks

Adventurer
Troi smiles grimly, and takes a long drink out of the blue concoction.

"First Grak, now Milo..." He sighs. "Anybody else who can't sing care to give it a go?" He asks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads