• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

(Tavern) City of Orussus, The Red Dragon Inn II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mithreander

Explorer
The young, near naked man walks over to the table and salutes. "I am Quickwhip, Swordsman of the first rank, and I humbly intergect myself to your company and wish that the Goddess may grant you peace. Thank you for offering me a seat." Not knowing the rank of the dwarf who called him, Quickwhip played it safe and saluted him as a supperior, since, after all, Quickwhip was only a first rank Swordsman, so the chances were that this dwarf was higher. It was so much easier in his land where ranks were worn where everyone could see.

Taking the seat, turning it around so that he can get to his sword, if needed. "So, you say there are two needs for me? Is that all? I was lead under the impression that these lands were lawless? Is that not the case?" Quickwhip takes time to watch the naked eyelids of the dwarf. His eyelids had a sword tattoo and a quil tattoo representing his mothers and fathers professions... just like everyone in the land that he came from.

Janos Audron

Explorer
Janos, choosing to ignore Fant's questions grabs this opportunity to steer the conversation away from details...

"Gooday Quickwhip" Janos says, "you are indeed needed. I have a task with which these three people are willing to help me, however, I think there is a greater chance of success if we find a fourth person. This task I speak of is to ... kill an evil wizard who has killed his brother and taken possession of his mansion. For the successful completion of this task, you will recieve the sum of five hundred gold pieces."

"If you agree, then we can get on our way."

Mithreander

Explorer
Quickwhip looks at the man and stands to make a 'quick' salute and then sit back down. "It's an honor to meet you, but I'm afraid that I may have missed your name..." Quickwhip pauses long enough for the man to give it then continues. Ah, Janos! It is an honor!" Quickwhip smiles at him, then his face turns more serious. "What do the local magistrates say about this? Why have they not taken this upstart wizard down? Have you no Swordsmen where you are?" Quickwhip shakes his head and appologizes. "Of course you don't! I keep forgetting that this is a lawless land. Well, I'll be happy to investigate this tale for you, unless you ahve proof?" Quickwhip raises an eyebrow in question "For the penalty of false testimony is VERY severe. Or at least it is where I come from."

Janos Audron

Explorer
"Where I come from, there are few Swordsmen and a lot of more or less talented wizards. This particular wizard isn't very talented, but his brother, a friend of mine, was."

"The law in my country differs greatly from what is acceptable here, that doesn't mean that murder is acceptable, but the procedures are very different. The law, at this moment is quite busy with other things and therefore I have come here to recruit some people who can bring this man to justice."

"As for the proof, I cannot show you a body, but my friend would never leave for an extended period of time without telling me."

Last edited:

Mithreander

Explorer
Quickwhip nods and says "Then I can agree to looking into the murder to see if I can substantiate the claim." he then gives the man a steely look and adds "But assassin, I'm not!" He then smiles at the man and adds, "But if he is guilty, then I will make sure justice finds him. Fair enough?"

Janos Audron

Explorer
"Fine with me, as long as, at the end of the day, my friend is avenged, that's the only way you will get you gold. Fair enough?"

Janos gulps the last bit of whiskey down his throat.

"Ahh. If you four are ready to go, then I suggest we get moving."

[Will start game thread tomorrow]

Thomas Hobbes

First Post
Mithreander said:
Not knowing the rank of the dwarf who called him....

ooc: Just FYI, his character sheet says "human." :)

IC: Fant stands as the oddly attired man approaches, raising her eyebrows at the salute but returning it, then sitting down as he does. She had read of other cultures in which a warrior caste fought without armor, shield, or bow, thinking it cowardly. She had, in the abstract, admired the sentiment, but thought it impractical. Your opponents would afford you no such luxuries- and you risked more than your life if charged, naked, ranks of mail-clad Gnolls through a storm of arrows. Still, though, it would be good to have another with a concept of honor, discipline, and hand-to-hand combat.

"So, you say there are two needs for me? Is that all? I was lead under the impression that these lands were lawless? Is that not the case?"

Janos Audron said:
"Good day Quickwhip," Janos says, "you are indeed needed. I have a task...."
"Ahh. If you four are ready to go, then I suggest we get moving."

[Will start game thread tomorrow]

ooc: Sorry, Fant isn't ready.Suspcious type, ain't she? :p Sorry to be a bother.... :eek:

"The other task which Draven referred to was helping a poor village terrorized by bandits- for apparently the land is lawless, although I have been safe enough in my travels here." She turns to Janos, and then continues playing hardball. "So, Janos, we have two things we could do- and I'd like to know everything about the situation before I decide." She raises her eyebrows at her newfound partners. "I don't think any of my companions would disagree that it would be foolish to step into what appears to be a dangerous situation." She turns back to Janos. "So, to summarize," she continues, mostly for Quickwhip's benefit, "what you have told us; your land is far away, and you traveled to the famous Red Dragon tavern to seek aid, for a friend of yours was slain by his brother, his property inherited, and a spell of yours stolen. The law in your land is apparently too apathetic, busy, or corrupt to do anything about it, if I may list the possibilities alphabetically." She leans back in her chair.

"So, what I wish to know- and I invite you all to ask further questions, if they occur to you- is where you come from, how you got here, how you plan to get us both there and back." She pauses for a brief moment, then continues. "I'd like to know what, in terms an intelligent but layman individual can understand, your stolen spell does, and under what circumstances it was 'turned on you.' I'd like to know what your friend's brother- and for reference's sake, names would be good too- gained, specifically, when he inherited." she continues. "And finally... I'd like to know why you're hiring us, rather than taking the law into your own hands personally. I have a hard time believing your friend's brother is too powerful for you," she says with a slight flattering smile. She doesn't trust Janos at all, although she tries not to appear so, and this new job offer may give her the leverage to find out what she wants to know.

ooc: Like I said, if Janos is lying, equivocating, or generally being dodgy about anything, I'd like to know. :) Sense motive +6.

Edit: Lots of posts while I was typing. :p

Last edited:

Mithreander

Explorer
Quickwhip raises his eyebrow at the bonbbardment of questions the turns to the man and looks at him bewilderly. "And with this sorry excuse of a story, you would not pay us to investigate, but insist that if the man is not killed you would retain your fee? Careful my friend, for I have a strong dislike for those that would hire an assassin. If you were wronged, then I will see to it that it is righted, but do not hold up your gold as a tool for your own 'murderous' ends, or you will find yourself at the end of my 'justice'." He smiles at the man in a kindly manner then and adds "Unless this is all a misunderstanding, and you have REASON to pull us away from those that trully need it?" Quickwhip is odviously leaning more towards the other job right now.

OOC: THough I, as a player is more interested in this one. *sigh*

Thomas Hobbes

First Post
Fant smiles at Quickwhip. "A bit blunter than I would've put it, but something along those lines." I think we may get along splendidly.

ooc: Me too, actually; Fant just wants to make sure she's not walking into traps, treachery, or tribbles (sorry, couldn't think of another alliterative term....)

Last edited:

jasamcarl

First Post
"Gold is a means to an end, lad. It can speak for the Good when some titled 'Lord' will not..." Keeps drinking...."And I be human, though I have meet share of dwarves in my time. Good folk, though a little on the stiff..."

ooc: yeah, i'm human. sorry about that, i thought you would assume it when i didn't specify otherwise. :)

Last edited:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads